Fitness and Nutrition, Rep VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
531 is good but its boring. Dont go about it as a powerlifting program, use it as "powerbuilding". Start with mobility and go with your main move plus add in some volume work.

The program is good but the volume is too damn low, if you feel good and you have time, make sure to put in work, but work smart.

There are different version. One is BBB (Boring but big). Another is a bodybuilding-oriented routine, where you do your main move with 5-3-1 sets and add in more accessory work in the 8-to-15 rep range.

I agree in the sense that the main beef I have against this routine on paper is that the volume is low for the primary movements. I mean... 3 sets and 9 to 15 repetitions a week of bench is a bit too little for my liking. A friend of mine who actually did tons of seminaries with Christian Thibodeau and Charles Poliquin is a HUGE fan of the Sheiko method and highly recommends I give it a try. He recommends a variation where you bench three times as week, you squat twice a week and you deadlift once a week. That might be another option.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I'm really enjoying the AlphaDestiny novice program. Even though the volume is significantly less than what I've been doing (Push/pull/Legs), I can feel effects taking over as I'm not only getting bigger and stronger (while eating more), I'm getting tighter around the core... could be the planking helping with that last part though.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
There are different version. One is BBB (Boring but big). Another is a bodybuilding-oriented routine, where you do your main move with 5-3-1 sets and add in more accessory work in the 8-to-15 rep range.

I agree in the sense that the main beef I have against this routine on paper is that the volume is low for the primary movements. I mean... 3 sets and 9 to 15 repetitions a week of bench is a bit too little for my liking. A friend of mine who actually did tons of seminaries with Christian Thibodeau and Charles Poliquin is a HUGE fan of the Sheiko method and highly recommends I give it a try. He recommends a variation where you bench three times as week, you squat twice a week and you deadlift once a week. That might be another option.

Yes, Ive toyed with the program for 56 weeks, i tried everything :laugh: Triumvirate, BBB, Offseasons, not doing jack shit, etc. Ive done it. Wendler mentions to not modify the program, so I didnt change much, but offseason for X are great programs, theres more volume and using joker sets also adds volume. Sheiko is another advanced program. Linear progression really is the way to go, theres a lot of easy gains to be made that way. Trying to rush things isnt the way to go.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Been in Sri Lanka since Friday. Goddang the curry is delicious. I'm eating so much, will have my work cut out for me when I get back on Monday. Totally worth it though.

Very beautiful country.

I personally enjoyed the delicacies of Jamaica mid-June. It was definitely worth it too, though I gotta say my digestion was messed up for a week afterwards (if you know what I mean). Add this to the fact I got bad allergies at this time of the year, and try to imagine yourself squatting with a ring of fire (ready to explode at anytime) and an urge to sneeze. Recipe for disaster. Fortunately, I avoided the mess and ended up my legs training clean :laugh:

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
I wanna compliment my boxing class (4 times a week of HITT 1 hour) and running (sprint-agility-mountain climbing for 30-45 min on friday plus a 5-10k run on sunday) with 3 x 30 min of musculation before boxing on monday-wednesday and saturday

What should I do..I AM a NOVICE in Lifting..

yesterday I did Bench press.. 3 sets of 8 at 140 pounds..
3 sets of squads at 100 pounds
3 sets of triceps, some back and biceps...

any1 can build me a little program for a starter?

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I like the stronglift 5x5 programs for beginners, even intermediate lifters. Great way to build a decent base.

Also, if you bench 40% more than you squat, you really need to work on those legs.

Reactions: Adonis Creed

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
was mainly trying to do the form right...

ill look at stronglift 5x5..

any app on cellphone for that?

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
So I started rucking about 2 months ago. I live in the Mile-End so I started with a 20lbs weight in my backpack and went at the cross on the Mont Royal and came back it took me three hours, but I had to rest for two days after that. Now I do it with 30lbs and it takes me between 2h30 and 3h depending on my path, as I started taking rockier paths with climbing and other more demanding activities.

It's very cool as it's also a pleasure activity cause I'm in the wood and I take my dog with me. It really helped me with my posture and walking technique. It also improved my squats because all the muscles of my body are more evenly developed (it does nothing for your arms but great for the shoulders). It's a great addition to my lifting routine, and, god, does my serotonin is at its max when I'm back home.

I've calculated that it burns about 1000 calories and does wonders for my cardio (apparently it's about the equivalent 3/4 of running for the same amount of time).

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
was mainly trying to do the form right...

ill look at stronglift 5x5..

any app on cellphone for that?

I’ve never used apps for that purpose personally, but there might be. It’s a very simple program that makes it easy to track results.

I keep notes of my numbers at different rep ranges on my phone and it works for me.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So I started rucking about 2 months ago. I live in the Mile-End so I started with a 20lbs weight in my backpack and went at the cross on the Mont Royal and came back it took me three hours, but I had to rest for two days after that. Now I do it with 30lbs and it takes me between 2h30 and 3h depending on my path, as I started taking rockier paths with climbing and other more demanding activities.

It's very cool as it's also a pleasure activity cause I'm in the wood and I take my dog with me. It really helped me with my posture and walking technique. It also improved my squats because all the muscles of my body are more evenly developed (it does nothing for your arms but great for the shoulders). It's a great addition to my lifting routine, and, god, does my serotonin is at its max when I'm back home.

I've calculated that it burns about 1000 calories and does wonders for my cardio (apparently it's about the equivalent 3/4 of running for the same amount of time).
Rucking? Is that really a thing?

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Rucking? Is that really a thing?

Yes, I wanted to do hiking with weights on my back so I googled it and found out in the states it's pretty big. They have compagnies assembling the gears and multiple rucking groups and activities all across the states. There's a military sub culture to it where people do multiple days rucking camps.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yes, I wanted to do hiking with weights on my back so I googled it and found out in the states it's pretty big. They have compagnies assembling the gears and multiple rucking groups and activities all across the states. There's a military sub culture to it where people do multiple days rucking camps.
Isnt that just hiking though? Why not just put things you actually need on a hike in your bag? Go faster if you dont have much, go slower if youre heavy.

Went on a hike for 3 days in Hawaii, with about 60 pounds on my back. Probably the best thing ive did in my life. So much fun.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Isnt that just hiking though? Why not just put things you actually need on a hike in your bag? Go faster if you dont have much, go slower if youre heavy.

Went on a hike for 3 days in Hawaii, with about 60 pounds on my back. Probably the best thing ive did in my life. So much fun.

60lbs is not sustainable long terms, your back and your knees will pay for it. The thing is that rucking can be done while you walk your dog for 30 minutes, or do hiking like I do, if you have access to nature. Also you have to start lower if you wanna progress well and not hurt yourself in the long run, by putting in weights you can calculate your progression in time, distance and weight. The reason I don't put things I need in my back pack is because there's really nothing I need for a three hours walk.

Actually you could do rucking to work everyday and you get in shape pretty fast.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
60lbs is not sustainable long terms, your back and your knees will pay for it. The thing is that rucking can be done while you walk your dog for 30 minutes, or do hiking like I do, if you have access to nature. Also you have to start lower if you wanna progress well and not hurt yourself in the long run, by putting in weights you can calculate your progression in time, distance and weight. The reason I don't put things I need in my back pack is because there's really nothing I need for a three hours walk.

Actually you could do rucking to work everyday and you get in shape pretty fast.
Yeah, or you could run... :laugh:

Also, I had ten pounds of water for the three day trip for cooking/drinking, it goes up quick.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Yeah, or you could run... :laugh:

Also, I had ten pounds of water for the three day trip for cooking/drinking, it goes up quick.

Yes but running won't build muscles and improve your overall posture, while rucking does. Also rucking is very good on the joints (wich I don't want to sacrifice to running) and frankly just more enjoyable than running.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I wanna compliment my boxing class (4 times a week of HITT 1 hour) and running (sprint-agility-mountain climbing for 30-45 min on friday plus a 5-10k run on sunday) with 3 x 30 min of musculation before boxing on monday-wednesday and saturday

What should I do..I AM a NOVICE in Lifting..

yesterday I did Bench press.. 3 sets of 8 at 140 pounds..
3 sets of squads at 100 pounds
3 sets of triceps, some back and biceps...

any1 can build me a little program for a starter?

If your goal is to increase your lifts, frequency is key. I would look into a full body routine focused on the main lifts. The generic alternatives proposed are often Starting Strength or Stronglifts.

If you like variation, an Upper Lower split can also be good.

But most of all, make sure to follow a routine you enjoy. Adherence is the most important thing. If you hate doing what you do you won't do it very long.

As long as you perform key moves like squat, bench, overhead presses, pull-ups, and/or deadlift as the basis of your program you're golden.

There are tons of routine on the internet. I personally hate doing full body routines bit some other people swear by them... so there you go.

Reactions: DAChampion

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Wednesday Bench Session's 7 x 5 at 195 pounds went better than expected. I even took less than the allowed time to rest between the sets and put up 7 reps in my last set. Pretty sure I would have had another solid rep in me if I didn't screw up the bar path on the 7th rep. Saturday is 10 x 3 at 210 pounds. Looking forward to getting this done. The 225 pounds objective is looking closer and closer. I will try to get a huge night of sleep and a shitton of food in to get the most out of that 10x3.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Yesterday on the squat rack, I did 3 sets of 10 reps doing 135 lbs, 155 lbs, and then 175 lbs on the 3rd set. It's now the morning after, and I'm not feeling tremendous pain and loss of range of motion in my lower back. In fact, my lower back feels pain. If I had amnesia, I would not know that I had ever had an injured lower back.

Previously, doing even 100 lbs on the squat rack would crush my lower back. The combination of fasting and lower back exercises has really helped. I'm curious to see how far up I can go, but I'm going to take my time.

Leg day was:

A bit of running
Squat
Seated leg press
seated leg extension
seated leg curl
abductor
adductor
A bit of running

I might add lunges and deadlifts later in the year, or put them in to replace something else. Deadlifts have also crushed my lower back in the past, so I'm scared. Maybe in a couple months.

Reactions: groovejuice

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Wednesday Bench Session's 7 x 5 at 195 pounds went better than expected. I even took less than the allowed time to rest between the sets and put up 7 reps in my last set. Pretty sure I would have had another solid rep in me if I didn't screw up the bar path on the 7th rep. Saturday is 10 x 3 at 210 pounds. Looking forward to getting this done. The 225 pounds objective is looking closer and closer. I will try to get a huge night of sleep and a ****ton of food in to get the most out of that 10x3.

What does a ton of food look like to you?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yesterday on the squat rack, I did 3 sets of 10 reps doing 135 lbs, 155 lbs, and then 175 lbs on the 3rd set. It's now the morning after, and I'm not feeling tremendous pain and loss of range of motion in my lower back. In fact, my lower back feels pain. If I had amnesia, I would not know that I had ever had an injured lower back.

Previously, doing even 100 lbs on the squat rack would crush my lower back. The combination of fasting and lower back exercises has really helped. I'm curious to see how far up I can go, but I'm going to take my time.

Leg day was:

A bit of running
Squat
Seated leg press
seated leg extension
seated leg curl
abductor
adductor
A bit of running

I might add lunges and deadlifts later in the year, or put them in to replace something else. Deadlifts have also crushed my lower back in the past, so I'm scared. Maybe in a couple months.
Just make sure you lift with good technique... you dont want to injure that back again... its a pain.

Also dont be scared of deadlifts, theyre a back saver when performed right.

Id suggest less machine work though, these leg extensions are iffy to me and theres also more efficient work to be done with lunges, front squats, Bulgarian split squats, etc.

Nice to hear that your back is better though.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Just make sure you lift with good technique... you dont want to injure that back again... its a pain.

Also dont be scared of deadlifts, theyre a back saver when performed right.

Id suggest less machine work though, these leg extensions are iffy to me and theres also more efficient work to be done with lunges, front squats, Bulgarian split squats, etc.

Nice to hear that your back is better though.

Thanks !

I should probably talk to someone about my technique. I wonder if the trainers who work there actually know anything? Moreover my technique is necessarily different, a Is have very low flexibility.

My feet are wider than my hips on the squat, the pressure is mostly but not entirely on my heels, and at the bottom my thighs are parallel with the floor. However, when I get there, my back/torso is not vertical, it's leaning forward. It is impossible for me to drop that much with a vertical back, even if I'm only squatting my body weight.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Yes but running won't build muscles and improve your overall posture, while rucking does. Also rucking is very good on the joints (wich I don't want to sacrifice to running) and frankly just more enjoyable than running.
It sounds like rucking requires a lot of time to get the benefits. That's great when you have it, but I can get huge benefits in a 25-30 minute run, and running doesn't have to harm your joints.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Rucking sounds like a good winter sport.

Out here in Baltimore, in July, it's 30+ celsius with high humidity.

No thank you to rucking.

Reactions: ChoseLa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: