Fitness and Nutrition, Rep VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Jordan Peterson, one of the more popular intellectuals and gurus at the moment, is doing a carnivore diet. He got rid of green vegetables and is now only eating meat. He says that he feels a lot better. He's sleeping better, losing weight, his skin looks better, etc.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Jordan Peterson, one of the more popular intellectuals and gurus at the moment, is doing a carnivore diet. He got rid of green vegetables and is now only eating meat. He says that he feels a lot better. He's sleeping better, losing weight, his skin looks better, etc.

I can see this diet working for a short time, but without supplementation, it seems destined to create post-digestive issues that are problematic. I've experienced that personally when I was on a high animal protein diet.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I can see this diet working for a short time, but without supplementation, it seems destined to create post-digestive issues that are problematic. I've experienced that personally when I was on a high animal protein diet.

If he's including organ meat then he can probably get all of the micronutrients that he needs.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
If he's including organ meat then he can probably get all of the micronutrients that he needs.

That's fine if high purine levels aren't an issue - for me they absolutely are. Then there's a potential bowel issue as I alluded to.

Personally I'd find it appealing as I'm a carnivore at heart. In practice, it doesn't work with my constitution.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
What does a psychologist have to do with deiting though? Ive just watched his Joe Rogan show and all he says is anectodal.

In practice, he's popular enough to single-handedly shift the public discussion.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke

I did that for 40 years without any issues. I hated veggies. Now I changed that because I feel that it was more efficient to have more veggies in my diet but in all honesty I don't feel one bit different because of it. So yeah.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I did that for 40 years without any issues. I hated veggies. Now I changed that because I feel that it was more efficient to have more veggies in my diet but in all honesty I don't feel one bit different because of it. So yeah.

You went forty years without fruits, bread, dessert, rice, potatoes, chocolate, wine, coffee, garlic, onion, butter, pistachios, and olive oil?

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
You went forty years without fruits, bread, dessert, rice, potatoes, chocolate, wine, coffee, garlic, onion, butter, pistachios, and olive oil?

I did not get from the post above that he was getting rid of all that, only that he was not eating veggies. Hence my comment ;)

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Anyone have some good at home exercises?

I have a bench press(so Barbell weights/bar naturally)
Treadmill
Resistance bands
Dumbbells

I do 5 days, I got the following:

Legs
Treadmill
Barbell Squat
Weighed Lunges(Dumbbells)
Weighted Side Lunges
Jumping exercises

Arms
Treadmill
Bicep Curl(Dumbbell)
Upright Row(Dumbbell)
Hammer Curl(Dumbbell)
Standing triceps extension(Dumbbell)
Resistance band arm exercises

Chest
Treadmill
Dumbbell Pushups
Pushups
2 Point Bridge
Bench Press

Shoulders
Treadmill
Barbell Military Press
Barbell front raise
Dumbell Lateral Raise
Arnold press

Back
Treadmill
Barbell Bent Over Row
Deadlift
One arm row
Dumbbell High pull

I clearly don't have any ab related exercises yet but apart from curls and the generic stuff I have no idea what to put or where to put it. I usually just walk/run uphill on a treadmill but I've let my resistance training go when I suffered a torn rotator cuff last year. I feel weaker than usual so I'm going to just try to do a bit every day. Since I don't go to a gym my equipment is rather limited.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Anyone have some good at home exercises?

I have a bench press(so Barbell weights/bar naturally)
Treadmill
Resistance bands
Dumbbells

I do 5 days, I got the following:

Legs
Treadmill
Barbell Squat
Weighed Lunges(Dumbbells)
Weighted Side Lunges
Jumping exercises

Arms
Treadmill
Bicep Curl(Dumbbell)
Upright Row(Dumbbell)
Hammer Curl(Dumbbell)
Standing triceps extension(Dumbbell)
Resistance band arm exercises

Chest
Treadmill
Dumbbell Pushups
Pushups
2 Point Bridge
Bench Press

Shoulders
Treadmill
Barbell Military Press
Barbell front raise
Dumbell Lateral Raise
Arnold press

Back
Treadmill
Barbell Bent Over Row
Deadlift
One arm row
Dumbbell High pull

I clearly don't have any ab related exercises yet but apart from curls and the generic stuff I have no idea what to put or where to put it. I usually just walk/run uphill on a treadmill but I've let my resistance training go when I suffered a torn rotator cuff last year. I feel weaker than usual so I'm going to just try to do a bit every day. Since I don't go to a gym my equipment is rather limited.
If you have a BB, plates, bench, DB, bands...I mean, the exercise possibilities are pretty endless mate.
For abs, add in Hollow body holds, planks, hanging knee/leg raises/holds (just set the BB at highest rack position and hang from there.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Great run this morning. This 5am thing isn't so bad.
Haven't done an early-morning run in awhile, but yeah, it's a nice feeling being up and out before the rest of the world. I have my own work schedule, so I usually find a block of time late morning or afternoon and duck out for a few miles.

My 'trick' during a busy week is to give myself permission to only do a short run. It's easy to psyche myself for a quick couple of miles. But usually once I'm out I'll go between 5 and 8k.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Haven't done an early-morning run in awhile, but yeah, it's a nice feeling being up and out before the rest of the world. I have my own work schedule, so I usually find a block of time late morning or afternoon and duck out for a few miles.

My 'trick' during a busy week is to give myself permission to only do a short run. It's easy to psyche myself for a quick couple of miles. But usually once I'm out I'll go between 5 and 8k.

Yeah, this morning, I did just a 2 mile run real quick. Actually getting pretty fast again. Took a little over 18mins. Not real fast, but from where I was 5 weeks ago, it's pretty damn fast lol.

Reactions: Lshap

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I want to lift and run again but by putting my neck down i feel pain in upper back

Its been 1 1/2 week should i run or lift still? It felt ok but im sure it doesnt help recovery

Looks like a strain

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
If you have a BB, plates, bench, DB, bands...I mean, the exercise possibilities are pretty endless mate.
For abs, add in Hollow body holds, planks, hanging knee/leg raises/holds (just set the BB at highest rack position and hang from there.

I don't go to gyms very often but you'll have to excuse me on one thing. My bench press is just a standard bench, I believe you're referring to something that has some kind of adjustable portion, mine doesn't. Just a basic bench with one position:)

I did buy one of those door chin up things but I do not feel confident using it. I'm paranoid I'll put a hole in a wall.

As for the rest though, I seemed to have overlooked planks and stuff like that which should not be a problem to do.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I don't go to gyms very often but you'll have to excuse me on one thing. My bench press is just a standard bench, I believe you're referring to something that has some kind of adjustable portion, mine doesn't. Just a basic bench with one position:)

I did buy one of those door chin up things but I do not feel confident using it. I'm paranoid I'll put a hole in a wall.

As for the rest though, I seemed to have overlooked planks and stuff like that which should not be a problem to do.

I use this apparatus for chins and pullups. It's designed for training for climbing, which is why there are various hand and finger holds.

It's versatile so you can move back and forth, changing from pinch grip, to single finger or multiple finger to narrow ridge to large full holds. I mounted it this way so I can grip from the backside for chins. I try to do the work on this board in an L position when possible to engage the core.

Attachments

• 2018-08-22 00.09.11.jpg
    2018-08-22 00.09.11.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So Ive been on Smolov for 10 weeks now. I havent done anything else serious but squat for the past two months and a half.

I can honestly say that, aside for some chest sag, I look just as good as I did when I was on a more traditional training regimen.

Id recommemd smolov to anyone with a squat over 300ish that has some serious will power. Added nearly 75 pounds to my squat and ive stayed relatively healthy. It also made me concentrate a lot more on mobility.

Reactions: Andrei79

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I use this apparatus for chins and pullups. It's designed for training for climbing, which is why there are various hand and finger holds.

It's versatile so you can move back and forth, changing from pinch grip, to single finger or multiple finger to narrow ridge to large full holds. I mounted it this way so I can grip from the backside for chins. I try to do the work on this board in an L position when possible to engage the core.

Is there a max weight on something like this?

I always panic that i'll rip off a wall or something.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The gym has reached the point of being boring / a chore for me now.

I was already thinking of starting a mini cut for 6 weeks or so because I’m happy in the 170-180 range (I’m 182 now), and changing up my split and workout routine to more high intensity stuff.

If that switch up can’t get things interesting for me anymore I might take a break from the weights and join my friend’s Muay Thai gym.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad