OT: Fitness and Nutrition IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
No chance in hell I'm running/cycling in -20 degrees outside with frozen streets and piles of snow on the sidewalks lol
Yeah if you live in the city it's pretty shitty but cross country skiing and fatbike are pretty fun in the winter

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Came back from the dead my guys. Im now 224 pounds looking like a (not so)lean mean machine. Currently working on a 3700 calorie/day diet with 240 grams of proteins, 440g carbs and 110gs of fat. Love the 440 grams of carbs. So easy to chomp a few bread slices more or a few cups of rice more. My strength is already pretty much back as I pushed effortless 315 reps on the bench press today.

I basically feel like Im on gear right now.

Reactions: DAChampion

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I would typically run 20-30 minutes at the end of a given workout.

Considering I go to the gym 4-5 times a week and spend on average an hour to an hour 15 for my workout + stretches, and you add another half-hour of cardio on top of it... at some point I got other stuff to do.

But whether you run at the gym or outside is irrelevant, the time commitment is the same.
depends, if you ride to work or to the gym for example it's taking more or less the same time as it would on car/metro, sometimes less even (I save about 30 min. a day doing this), and if you do it at home on a machine well, you can watch the news or something else, talk to the other human beings in the house or something.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Measurability. I can go to a gym and expend a very precise number of calories and know very precisely how long it's going to take me to do it. I plan to do this. It's going to be really boring, which is the downside, but there is a benefit IMO.
true, precision, but unless you're some sort of pro athlete, does your workout (whatever it is) need to be measured so precisely ? I mean, if you do 48 min. of cardio a day instead of 52 or if you burn X calories instead of X+10 calories in a workout is that such a big deal ??

I'm not saying people should stop going to the gym or anything, but the idea that everything need to be done at the gym is a pretty good reason why people quit their "programs" IMO. (might be wrong on this, doubt it )

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
true, precision, but unless you're some sort of pro athlete, does your workout (whatever it is) need to be measured so precisely ? I mean, if you do 48 min. of cardio a day instead of 52 or if you burn X calories instead of X+10 calories in a workout is that such a big deal ??

Yeah I don't think it would be a big difference outside of getting your bearings for cutting. Once you have the experience you can go much more by feel. Just like preparing meals. I bet you an experienced bodybuilder could eyeball 50g of protein from chicken pretty accurately. But a beginner should use a scale. It's too easy to dog it and lie to yourself.

I'm not saying people should stop going to the gym or anything, but the idea that everything need to be done at the gym is a pretty good reason why people quit their "programs" IMO. (might be wrong on this, doubt it )

It's true, I f***ing hate going to the gym. I like lifting weights though. We even quit our pick up soccer games at work because we had to walk over to the pitch, and those were a lot of fun.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I dont agree with the last part. I think that most of the people would actually benefit from being in the gym more. Making it part of the routine is probably the easiest way to go about things.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I dont agree with the last part. I think that most of the people would actually benefit from being in the gym more. Making it part of the routine is probably the easiest way to go about things.
people would benefit from exercising more that's for sure, dont think exercises have to be done at the gym though, not all of them at least.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
people would benefit from exercising more that's for sure, dont think exercises have to be done at the gym though, not all of them at least.
Thats not what I meant. Mostly, if you end up going to the gym three weeks in a row for 3-4 days out of sheer will, habit kicks in and youre much more likely to just go back. Ive read an article about this like last week but I cant find it for the life of me. Dont recall who wrote it or even where Ive seen it, freaking social media. Anyway, it basically has to do with routine and how just fitting exercise, and this works for running outside or what ever, in your daily life just makes it part of it.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
That's great advice on the fatigue, I'll pay attention.

Thank you.

What I've done in the past few months, not scientifically and without a specific program, has been a combination of fasting, yoga, and time on the elliptical. The elliptical is in my living room and I use it while watching Netflix or something else.

The yoga was kind of a strength component. To my surprise I got better at holding many of the poses. I seem to build more strength from it rather than flexibility, unfortunately. I'd like some actual flexibility. My hamstrings are tight as ****, and they're staying that way.

I have limited time, and frankly, limited willpower. I've prioritized fat loss, pain reduction, injury prevention in this period.

I think that I have some anxiety issues that yoga is probably helping with. That said, strength training is also very good for my mood, I've noticed the effect in the past. Similarly to yoga, it kind of puts me "at peace."
I suggest you try a movement class, depending on the teacher, it can help you a lot to build strength, gymnastics, mobility, flexibility, and work your cardio as well depending on class intensity.

Reactions: DAChampion

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

People quit the gym because they lack understanding of what they're doing and they have high expectations/slow results.
We live in a world where people want the results without putting much of an effort, or they just think they'll get results quick. After a couple of weeks, theres not much of a difference, not to mention, they still have beers few nights per week, have their pizzas burgers or chips on the weekends..so they quit.
A lot of people take weights that are too light, have low intensity, some read a book or newspaper while training ffs.

Main reason people quit is a lack of result from being uninformed and impatient.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I'm back to doing a variation of a push/pull split- this time with Squats leading the push day, and DLs leading the pull day (with everything else being upper body). I've also bailed on bench press completely as i just have a shoulder issue that rears it's head eventually every time so have made Shoulder Press my primary upper body push movement and making crazy gains with it.

Right now my workouts are looking like:

Push
Squats 3 sets of 3-5
Shoulder Press 3 sets of 3-5
Weighted dips 3 sets of 8-12.
Chest fly variation 3 sets of 8-12
Side Delt raise variation 3 sets of 8-12
Facepulls (side delt focus but also rotator and posture help)
Tricep variation
Pushups until failure
Hanging leg raises until failure
10 minutes of hard cardio.

Pull
DLs 3 sets of 3-5
Weighted CUs 3 sets of 3-5
Pendlay Rows 3 sets of 8-12
Shrugs variation 3 sets of 8-12
Rear Delt Flys variation 3 sets of 8-12
Bicep 1
Bicep 2
Rotator work
10 minutes hard cardio

I know I'm constantly tinkering and mixing it up, but gotta fool the body, right babe? If I don't get that pump and soreness, I change it up immediately.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I've done intermittent fasting off and on for a long time now, more of a 8 hour window for eating type thing with the occasional 24 hour FAST thrown in. I've been researching fasting lately because I generally find I feel better when I limit myself to a window of 8 hours, but those 24 hour FASTS also made me feel pretty good. I am currently attempting a 48-72 hour fast. Right now I am on hour 24, so getting to 36 will be relatively easy as I will be going to bed in a few hours and sleeping for another 6-8 hours. If I can easily make it to 8pm ADT tomorrow and I am still feeling ok, I will look to carry this on to either 60 or even 72 hrs. I'm a bit hungry right now, but I think by morning after a few water I will be fine again.

I'm excited to see if I can pull this off, tonight will be easy as I don't need anything to eat to go to sleep. I already feel like I have more energy than I typically do when not fasting. It's really weird. I've read that the hungry feeling will/should even subside the longer you don't eat. I have never experienced anything beyond 30 hours, so this could be challenging. I will listen to my body and if I feel like it is impacting my ability to function/work then I will stop.

Champ, any recommendations on an easy/best way to break the fast? I am drinking black coffee, I've read varying opinions on whether or not that breaks the fast, but I think I will still gain some benefits either way. I am thinking of doing this twice a month while intermittent fasting the rest of the time.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm back to doing a variation of a push/pull split- this time with Squats leading the push day, and DLs leading the pull day (with everything else being upper body). I've also bailed on bench press completely as i just have a shoulder issue that rears it's head eventually every time so have made Shoulder Press my primary upper body push movement and making crazy gains with it.

Right now my workouts are looking like:

Push
Squats 3 sets of 3-5
Shoulder Press 3 sets of 3-5
Weighted dips 3 sets of 8-12.
Chest fly variation 3 sets of 8-12
Side Delt raise variation 3 sets of 8-12
Facepulls (side delt focus but also rotator and posture help)
Tricep variation
Pushups until failure
10 minutes of hard cardio.

Pull
DLs 3 sets of 3-5
Weighted CUs 3 sets of 3-5
Pendlay Rows 3 sets of 8-12
Shrugs variation 3 sets of 8-12
Rear Delt Flys variation 3 sets of 8-12
Bicep 1
Bicep 2
Rotator work
10 minutes hard cardio

I know I'm constantly tinkering and mixing it up, but gotta fool the body, right babe? If I don't get that pump and soreness, I change it up immediately.

I suggest floor press if you want to sub your bench press. For increased stability reinforcement, do them with a Kettlebell bottom's up.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I've done intermittent fasting off and on for a long time now, more of a 8 hour window for eating type thing with the occasional 24 hour FAST thrown in. I've been researching fasting lately because I generally find I feel better when I limit myself to a window of 8 hours, but those 24 hour FASTS also made me feel pretty good. I am currently attempting a 48-72 hour fast. Right now I am on hour 24, so getting to 36 will be relatively easy as I will be going to bed in a few hours and sleeping for another 6-8 hours. If I can easily make it to 8pm ADT tomorrow and I am still feeling ok, I will look to carry this on to either 60 or even 72 hrs. I'm a bit hungry right now, but I think by morning after a few water I will be fine again.

I'm excited to see if I can pull this off, tonight will be easy as I don't need anything to eat to go to sleep. I already feel like I have more energy than I typically do when not fasting. It's really weird. I've read that the hungry feeling will/should even subside the longer you don't eat. I have never experienced anything beyond 30 hours, so this could be challenging. I will listen to my body and if I feel like it is impacting my ability to function/work then I will stop.

Champ, any recommendations on an easy/best way to break the fast? I am drinking black coffee, I've read varying opinions on whether or not that breaks the fast, but I think I will still gain some benefits either way. I am thinking of doing this twice a month while intermittent fasting the rest of the time.

36 hours isn't that long, so just take it easy and take your time chewing your food.

Probably best to avoid something that spikes insulin, such as a cream puff.

A glass of milk might do.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Once Im satisfied with my weight gain and Im done with this strength block (3.5 months), Ill try fasting for 2-3 days, cant be bad to do as Im eating my face off atm.

Martins Licis, current Worlds strongest man has been fasting for 36 hours, he says his nutritionist, Nathan Payton told him it could reset his insuline sensitivity or something like that. Licis also says he shredded down below 10% (Crazy because hes well over 300 pounds now.) using intermitent fasting, before he started competing in strongman.

I think its in this video.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

A lean protein is a good bet. If you're doing a longer term fast, maybe ease in with some broth first. Black coffee won't break a fast, but a lot of keto people mistakenly believe their bullet proof coffee to be fasting friendly, which it isn't.

This guy's channel is pretty good for fasting/keto information. Jason Fung is also someone I've been looking into more, he's a toronto based nephrologist who prescribes long term fasts as a diabetes treatment.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Pause bench with a slow negative to increase your conventional bench is life. How I haven't tried it in more than 3 years at the gym is beyond me. I'm back to making (almost) linear gains.

On Tuesday I do 4 sets of 8 on the bench with at least a 2 seconds negative and a 1+ second pause at the bottom (I literally just let the weight rest on my chest)

On Saturday, from week to week, I do a 4 sets of 6, 5 sets of 5, and 6 sets of 4 bench press, increasing the weight between each session. The next cycle, I increase all of my weights again. So the tonnage increases on a weekly basis.

I finish both training with an amrap at 1 plate on paused bench. Not as much for the muscular benefits, as it is to focus on my leg drive and work on my explosiveness.

When I run out of my pause bench gains, I'll change the Tuesday workout for speed work with resistance bands (kind of like a dynamic effort) to optimize my stretch reflex. Once again increasing on a weekly basis.

I expect making solid Bench gains for the next 2 or so months and rep 235+ at the end of it. Which, at a weight under 185 pounds, wouldn't be that bad.

I should probably have gotten it last year, if stress and injuries didn't take a toll.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Pause bench with a slow negative to increase your conventional bench is life. How I haven't tried it in more than 3 years at the gym is beyond me. I'm back to making (almost) linear gains.

On Tuesday I do 4 sets of 8 on the bench with at least a 2 seconds negative and a 1+ second pause at the bottom (I literally just let the weight rest on my chest)

On Saturday, from week to week, I do a 4 sets of 6, 5 sets of 5, and 6 sets of 4 bench press, increasing the weight between each session. The next cycle, I increase all of my weights again. So the tonnage increases on a weekly basis.

I finish both training with an amrap at 1 plate on paused bench. Not as much for the muscular benefits, as it is to focus on my leg drive and work on my explosiveness.

When I run out of my pause bench gains, I'll change the Tuesday workout for speed work with resistance bands (kind of like a dynamic effort) to optimize my stretch reflex. Once again increasing on a weekly basis.

I expect making solid Bench gains for the next 2 or so months and rep 235+ at the end of it. Which, at a weight under 185 pounds, wouldn't be that bad.

I should probably have gotten it last year, if stress and injuries didn't take a toll.
I'm on slow tempo program as well, no pause though. 4 sec eccentric is pretty solid. Combining slow tempo for heavy low reps..sticking around the 4~6 reps 4-6sets, with higher volume work on two different accessory trisets with reps around 8~18.
I time my rests as well between 60~120sec.

The pump I get from these workouts is just awesome, but the work is hard man.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Give board presses some love if you like pause bench. Theyre amazing.

Last edited:

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
My nutrionist had me eating 2-3 dates and a glass of milk to break the fast during Ramadan. It was easier on the stomach and digestion than jumping into cooked food right away.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Everyone's favourite tricep exercises? I'm going to do a 3 day per week full body program that looks something like

Day A

Squat 5x5
Pendlay row 4 x 8
Bench 4 x 8
Barbell curl 3 x 10
Tricep exercise A (depends)
Lateral raise 3 x 12
abs/calves

Day B

Deadlift 5 x 5
Incline Bench 4 x 8
Pulldown 4 x 8
Dumbell curls 3 x 10
Tricep exercise B (depends)
Facepulls
abs/calves

but doing it in an ABA format (without alternating to BAB). I was thinking overhead extensions for A, and either close grip bench or skull crushers for B.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Everyone's favourite tricep exercises? I'm going to do a 3 day per week full body program that looks something like

Day A

Squat 5x5
Pendlay row 4 x 8
Bench 4 x 8
Barbell curl 3 x 10
Tricep exercise A (depends)
Lateral raise 3 x 12
abs/calves

Day B

Deadlift 5 x 5
Incline Bench 4 x 8
Pulldown 4 x 8
Dumbell curls 3 x 10
Tricep exercise B (depends)
Facepulls
abs/calves

but doing it in an ABA format (without alternating to BAB). I was thinking overhead extensions for A, and either close grip bench or skull crushers for B.

You could do with more pressing in there, add in some CG bench and OHP variation.

As for my favorite tri exercise, it has to be single arm dumbell extension on an incline bench. These puppies stretch the muscle the most and thats key for hypertrophy. Keeping it slow, in a higher rep range and really controlled is a must.

Why not go for a classic push pull legs format instead of full body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad