OT: Fitness and Nutrition IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I finished Iron Cowboy. The guy actually did run 50 ironmen in 50 days (in 50 states), though some of them were done indoors and on equipment due to bad weather, and one of the marathons was run on an elliptical as he had an injury.

An iron Man triathlon is a 3.86 km swim, a 180.25 km bike ride, and a 42.20 km run.

Damn, what an incredible achievement. His times were actually dropping during the 50 days because he was somehow getting fitter faster than the injuries were accumulating. One time he had, I think, less than an hour's sleep between two events, because he was falling behind schedule. He had a very hard time on the last swim because his body fat was down to 4%, so he had a hard time swimming in cold water. I think that he took a break, ate some food, and went back in the water.

During the 50 days, he used transfusions of saline to quickly restore the electrolytes. That drew criticism on social media, people said that he was doping, and thus his achievement did not count. Apparently you're supposed to take saline after an Ironman but not before, and after his event, a world governing body changed the rules to validate situations like his.
I'm pretty sure he was doping, but that takes nothing away from his achievements. Damn impressive.

Reactions: DAChampion

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The curvature of the platform will allow for better running technique. The vast majority of leisure runners have poor running mechanics. They keep their knee low in the stride, they land on their heel they stomp, etc..
The shape of this treadmill will ensure better landing and limit impact.
But even if you get a woodway that's flat, their shock absorption is better and you control the speed according to how you move, instead of programming a machine at a certain fixed speed.
Those treadmills are meant to mimic outdoor running.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Just heard an interview by a marathon runner vaulting the merits of a TrueForm treadmill.

Anyone have experience with this type of equipment?
I actually found about them a couple of days ago too, came across them at a gym's website and it happens to be close to work. I plan on trying them out if I can get a free trial membership.

Can't speak for their merits but I will let you know how they feel compared to traditional treadmills..

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I run a 10k and I get blisters and my ankles feet hurt for a week.

The modern running shoe that's all so common today encourages poor form and technic. The heel to toe puts massive strain in your shins and knees.

I suggest to trying barefoot running with minimal shoes such as the trail glove, vivo barefoot or vibrams and sticking to grass or dirt over concrete when possible. Do be warned to take it really easy at first as your calves aren't used to running on your toes.

Either that or skip running all together and just do cycling. Cycling is super low impact, actually develops muscle (only if you really push though) and it's also a lot of fun. Bonus if you do mountain biking as you'll be working on more than just your legs.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The curvature of the platform will allow for better running technique. The vast majority of leisure runners have poor running mechanics. They keep their knee low in the stride, they land on their heel they stomp, etc..
The shape of this treadmill will ensure better landing and limit impact.
But even if you get a woodway that's flat, their shock absorption is better and you control the speed according to how you move, instead of programming a machine at a certain fixed speed.
Those treadmills are meant to mimic outdoor running.

I land on my heels when running slowly, and it shifts to landing on the front of my feet as I go faster. Is that bad?

I like that treadmills go at their own speed.

Soon I'll hopefully be switching to building strength rather than cutting. I plan on including running at the end if my workouts, specifically for HIIT. A low concentration form of HIIT that has worked for me is to out the treadmill at a very high speed and do 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off. If there were not a million people walking around I might do push-ups or burpees in between.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I land on my heels when running slowly, and it shifts to landing on the front of my feet as I go faster. Is that bad?

Soon I'll hopefully be switching to building strength rather than cutting. I plan on including running at the end if my workouts, specifically for HIIT. A low concentration form of HIIT that has worked for me is to out the treadmill at a very high speed and do 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off. If there were not a million people walking around I might do push-ups or burpees in between.
That's normal and at low speed, the impact on your knees shouldn't be too crazy. Also, pay attention to your form once you start fatiguing. It's common for people to get sloppy and that's when they get hurt.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

You should never step away from strength. There's just no good reason not to work on it. Now, there are various ways of doing that, you can work on strength without having to just do heavy lifting.

As for running, ya man, never land on your heels. Obviously, if you're just taking tiny walking steps..no issues...but regularly slow running landing on your heels...no good.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
The modern running shoe that's all so common today encourages poor form and technic. The heel to toe puts massive strain in your shins and knees.

I suggest to trying barefoot running with minimal shoes such as the trail glove, vivo barefoot or vibrams and sticking to grass or dirt over concrete when possible. Do be warned to take it really easy at first as your calves aren't used to running on your toes.

Either that or skip running all together and just do cycling. Cycling is super low impact, actually develops muscle (only if you really push though) and it's also a lot of fun. Bonus if you do mountain biking as you'll be working on more than just your legs.

I avoid the problem by not doing cardio, ever.

;)

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Maybe it wouldn’t have to be so quick if we sometimes did cardio under different circumstances.
Honestly cardio is so boring, unless its hiking/hockey/cycling or some strongman circuit I just dont bother.

I forced myself into running one a week a few years back and while I was absolutely ripped, I hated every second of it.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
That's normal and at low speed, the impact on your knees shouldn't be too crazy. Also, pay attention to your form once you start fatiguing. It's common for people to get sloppy and that's when they get hurt.

That's great advice on the fatigue, I'll pay attention.

Thank you.

You should never step away from strength. There's just no good reason not to work on it. Now, there are various ways of doing that, you can work on strength without having to just do heavy lifting.

As for running, ya man, never land on your heels. Obviously, if you're just taking tiny walking steps..no issues...but regularly slow running landing on your heels...no good.

What I've done in the past few months, not scientifically and without a specific program, has been a combination of fasting, yoga, and time on the elliptical. The elliptical is in my living room and I use it while watching Netflix or something else.

The yoga was kind of a strength component. To my surprise I got better at holding many of the poses. I seem to build more strength from it rather than flexibility, unfortunately. I'd like some actual flexibility. My hamstrings are tight as f***, and they're staying that way.

I have limited time, and frankly, limited willpower. I've prioritized fat loss, pain reduction, injury prevention in this period.

I think that I have some anxiety issues that yoga is probably helping with. That said, strength training is also very good for my mood, I've noticed the effect in the past. Similarly to yoga, it kind of puts me "at peace."

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Honestly cardio is so boring, unless its hiking/hockey/cycling or some strongman circuit I just dont bother.

I forced myself into running one a week a few years back and while I was absolutely ripped, I hated every second of it.

It’s not that I hate it, I’m just not willing to put the extra 30 minutes in the gym for cardio. I already spend plenty enough time in there.

Reactions: Mrb1p

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
It’s not that I hate it, I’m just not willing to put the extra 30 minutes in the gym for cardio. I already spend plenty enough time in there.
why would people go to a gym for cardio ? :huh:

most activities you can think of for your cardio can be done outside.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

I think that you've asked this before, and I had an answer but in the moment I had no time, I'll try and answer now.

Doing cardio outside, which in most cases means jogging or cycling, can be very good, but the usefulness and feasibility of it is very context dependent.

One summer, I lived in Victoria and I did two hours of outdoor cycling a day, but it was convenient. Victoria has clean air, a lot if trails, and my workplace had a shower on the premises. So I could do it.

I got back to Montreal and I realized that biking to work meant danger, breathing in smog, and showing up at work sweaty and stinky. I stopped.

Where I live now, biking or cycling near my house would be mostly an intellectual exercise in navigating and negotiating traffic lights, cars, pedestrians, etc. Sprinting in my neighbourhood would be actively dangerous, a cop would be justified in giving me a citation. It's not relaxing, further, there are random breaks due to red lights being where they are. I prefer to get on my elliptical, where I maintain a steady heart rate, and I turn off my brain by either listening to music or streaming something.

A lot of people do "jogging", and they seem so slow, I'm not sure if they're actually getting much benefit.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009

No chance in hell I'm running/cycling in -20 degrees outside with frozen streets and piles of snow on the sidewalks lol

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I think that you've asked this before, and I had an answer but in the moment I had no time, I'll try and answer now.

Doing cardio outside, which in most cases means jogging or cycling, can be very good, but the usefulness and feasibility of it is very context dependent.

One summer, I lived in Victoria and I did two hours of outdoor cycling a day, but it was convenient. Victoria has clean air, a lot if trails, and my workplace had a shower on the premises. So I could do it.

I got back to Montreal and I realized that biking to work meant danger, breathing in smog, and showing up at work sweaty and stinky. I stopped.

Where I live now, biking or cycling near my house would be mostly an intellectual exercise in navigating and negotiating traffic lights, cars, pedestrians, etc. Sprinting in my neighbourhood would be actively dangerous, a cop would be justified in giving me a citation. It's not relaxing, further, there are random breaks due to red lights being where they are. I prefer to get on my elliptical, where I maintain a steady heart rate, and I turn off my brain by either listening to music or streaming something.

A lot of people do "jogging", and they seem so slow, I'm not sure if they're actually getting much benefit.
don't disagree with the part about smog, traffic and al...

but I do both, cycling outside to work (or just do decent rides for fun) and inside (while watching the news) and I wouldnt do just inside or outside, although it's both cycling it's a different exercise, the constant stops, the little ups and downs, etc makes you workout differently that at home on some machine.

gotta say though, I'm not going anywhere near downtown on my bike, DT and old Mtl I avoid as much as possible. Depending where you're from and how much time you got there's a lot of decent spost to ride though and ride long and fast enough, Parc Bellerive - Repentigny (east), the road to St Catherine (west), Gouin E. and Laval (North) and if you have to travel to/from work using the Pont Jacques-Cartier that's a good enough bike exercise for a day!

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

I would typically run 20-30 minutes at the end of a given workout.

Considering I go to the gym 4-5 times a week and spend on average an hour to an hour 15 for my workout + stretches, and you add another half-hour of cardio on top of it... at some point I got other stuff to do.

But whether you run at the gym or outside is irrelevant, the time commitment is the same.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Measurability. I can go to a gym and expend a very precise number of calories and know very precisely how long it's going to take me to do it. I plan to do this. It's going to be really boring, which is the downside, but there is a benefit IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad