Fisher Reveals Votes for NHL’s Major Awards

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Sickness, similar to injury, happens. It's the same reason Marc-Andre Fleury isn't in the Vezina running. If McDavid is completely healthy all year and plays like he did in March, he should win. But that's life. He wasn't the league's best player until after his team was well out of the playoffs.
Yes but it's not like he actually finished below anyone in points and people are trying to use what ifs to make it seem like he could have finished higher... he actually did finish with more points than everyone, and finished with a better PPG than anyone, and scored 40 goals as well, and did all that while being sick as hell for a couple months and the Oilers having no powerplay either.

So what you are basically saying is that for a non playoff teams player to win the hart they have to be further ahead than McDavid was? That doesn't make sense to me. He was already ahead of everyone else, he was the most important piece on the Oilers AINEC, how is that not a Hart season? Cause the goaltending was crap all year and the D was collectively having a poor season through injury and just generally taking a step back? How does that lessen what McDavid did? Sick he was able to keep pace, healthy he exploded and left everyone in his dust. You say games didn't matter, I say he did the same last year when the games did matter so it's more of a case of McDavid being good late in the season and not anything else.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Yes but it's not like he actually finished below anyone in points and people are trying to use what ifs to make it seem like he could have finished higher... he actually did finish with more points than everyone, and finished with a better PPG than anyone, and scored 40 goals as well, and did all that while being sick as hell for a couple months and the Oilers having no powerplay either.

So what you are basically saying is that for a non playoff teams player to win the hart they have to be further ahead than McDavid was? That doesn't make sense to me. He was already ahead of everyone else, he was the most important piece on the Oilers AINEC, how is that not a Hart season? Cause the goaltending was crap all year and the D was collectively having a poor season through injury and just generally taking a step back? How does that lessen what McDavid did? Sick he was able to keep pace, healthy he exploded and left everyone in his dust. You say games didn't matter, I say he did the same last year when the games did matter so it's more of a case of McDavid being good late in the season and not anything else.

I feel like I'm repeating myself here. No, I don't need McDavid to be further ahead. For McDavid to win the Hart he should have been leading the scoring race at any point in the season when it mattered to his team.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Dope...0-for-3 on my Norris finalists after going 3-for-3 on the Vezina. As mentioned, I regretted not getting Hedman on my ballot in hindsight. Hard to argue with those three - Hedman, Doughty and Subban. I had Carlson, Jones and Josi. Lots of worthy candidates for that award this season.

Reactions: VinikToWinIt

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The award is for most valuable player, not the best. If it was for the best Crosby would've won it like 10 years in a row and McDavid would win it every year from now until he retires. Same with the NBA MVP and LeBron. Anyone arguing either Hall or MacKinnon don't deserve the award is insane because both literally carried their teams to a successful season.

Reactions: dsportsavvy235

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
I feel like I'm repeating myself here. No, I don't need McDavid to be further ahead. For McDavid to win the Hart he should have been leading the scoring race at any point in the season when it mattered to his team.

Exactly, when Oilers needed him he was 18th in the scoring race. He turned it on exactly when it didn't matter; garbage time.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I agree with most of the 1st place votes except for the Vezina and GM of the year. I'd go with Vasilezsky for the Vezina and Shero for GM of the year.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Not just leading goals but his highest assist season in many years, his team wasn't suppose to win division, he's playing a solid 2 way game. Holtby has been trash. Pens have 3 85+ point scorers. Caps have only 1 and won division.
he's still not top 10 in scoring regardless of whether it's HIS best assist totals in years.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
he's still not top 10 in scoring regardless of whether it's HIS best assist totals in years.
It's not his best assists...he had 59 in 72 games in '10...
But you are saying he's not top 10 like its some magic marker. He's 2 points behind Sid who is top 10 but Ovi has 20 more goals.
If he has 87 pts and is top 10 he's different?

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Re: Carlson - Like probably 90% of posters here, I haven't watched him critically enough to give a 'personal eye-test' opinion. Caps fans have though, and I haven't seen them clamoring to pay Carlson like a top 10 dman going forward .. leads me to believe that he doesn't really deserve Norris votes.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I agree with most of the 1st place votes except for the Vezina and GM of the year. I'd go with Vasilezsky for the Vezina and Shero for GM of the year.

Just a question, why do you have Vasi 1st? I am not critiquing your decision, I just felt like he fell out of the running and settled into the 3-6 range at best. I was kind of surprised to see him in the top 3, so I'm just curious as to what his bigger supporters see as the argument for him winning.

dsportsavvy235

Apr 10, 2018
The award is for most valuable player, not the best. If it was for the best Crosby would've won it like 10 years in a row and McDavid would win it every year from now until he retires. Same with the NBA MVP and LeBron. Anyone arguing either Hall or MacKinnon don't deserve the award is insane because both literally carried their teams to a successful season.

I agree with this.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Ouch, only 1-for-3 on my ballot for GM of the Year. I had McPhee, Ray Shero (New Jersey) and David Poile (Nashville) in that order. Granted my votes were cast prior to the start of the playoffs. I finished 12-for-18 overall.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Vezna should goto MAF but his season injuries probably derailed him. I don't like the Norris candidate.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
All it shows you is how utterly uneducated and stupid a lot of these guys are lol. They can't hide now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad