Fisher Reveals Votes for NHL’s Major Awards

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
The Norris was probably the toughest vote for me. Who's your winner and who's on your ballot?
Hard to argue with the point totals, but I just don't think Carlson plays a well rounded enough game to win a Norris trophy.

Personally, I would have Doughty and Hedman fighting for the top spot, with the 3rd up for grabs between Jones, Josi, Pietrangelo, and Sutter.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
i appreciate your effort on this but to me these awards have become a most popular contest. with most of the voters just putting who ever they think most of the others will vote for so they look like they made the right choice. using the norris as an example it usually goes to the highest scoring defense man not really the best defense man.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Hard to argue with the point totals, but I just don't think Carlson plays a well rounded enough game to win a Norris trophy.

Personally, I would have Doughty and Hedman fighting for the top spot, with the 3rd up for grabs between Jones, Josi, Pietrangelo, and Sutter.

Doughty and Hedman definitely were considered, along with Pietrangelo and Suter. Like I said, the Norris is the toughest vote this year (for me), but I think Carlson's defensive play has come a long way out of necessity this season and Jones is becoming a beast before our eyes (he's my favourite to win next year's Norris). It's going to be fun to watch those two go head-to-head in the first round of the playoffs.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Doughty and Hedman definitely were considered, along with Pietrangelo and Suter. Like I said, the Norris is the toughest vote this year (for me), but I think Carlson's defensive play has come a long way out of necessity this season and Jones is becoming a beast before our eyes (he's my favourite to win next year's Norris). It's going to be fun to watch those two go head-to-head in the first round of the playoffs.
All of your explanations were based on offence and ice time, not actual defensive prowess. I would appreciate if you showed your work there a little more.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
No Hedman OR Doughty for the Norris? That's the biggest omission I saw. The rest I'm overall fine with (even if the exact winner wasn't who I'd pick).

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Is there any place where we can find the votes that have already been casted by the members of the media?

Also I agree with the votes here. My biggest plus is the 2nd place vote for Seth Jones, who seems to get lost in any Norris convo this year so kudos on that. My only down is on voting Vasilevski. I think a guy like Bob probably deserves a vote more than Vasi does looking at how Bob was absolutely clutch down the stretch while Vasi was trash.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't think any of them are outrageous or insulting, but I would have different Hart and Norris winners (Kopitar and Hedman, respectively).

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The Doughty snubbing has begun!

That Norris voting is indefensible but the rest is very, very good.

Though props for sticking your neck out before just about anyone else!

Reactions: KingTrouty

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
His season was better than all of theirs. But no playoffs makes it tough I guess.

He'll win the Lindsay though as he had the best season and is the best player in the league without question.
his 100 point season was Hart caliber, but his 108 point season was worthless. Great logic by voters to hold team success against an individual

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Carlson was barely the NHLs leader in defensemen scoring and he was worse defensively then several people very close to him. I don’t mind any of the other choices but the Noris is definitely wrong. Hedman and Doughty are almost guaranteed to be nominated.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Carlson should not win Norris...
Bednar 3rd for Adams? Don’t Avs fans not like him?

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Gord Miller from TSN was on Montreal TSN690 sports radio about an hour ago and he revealed who he voted for. I'm not sure if I missed any since I wasn't really paying much attention but I remember these.

Hart - Hall
Norris - Hedman
Selke - Kopitar
Vezina - Rinne
Calder - Barzal
I also believe he said Ryan O'Reilly for the Lady Byng

Edit: They just replayed the clip again and I got all of them correct. Also Pierre McGuire is on now and he also voted Hall for the Hart and Kopitar for the Selke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad