Fisher Reveals Votes for NHL’s Major Awards

baconcow

Sep 3, 2014
Connor McDavid is my choice for the Hart trophy. If only Cam Talbot made a couple dozen more saves, when he needed to, the Edmonton Oilers could possibly be getting into the playoffs and Connor McDavid would surely get the Hart trophy. Either that, or the other lines could play better and help the team win. Either way, IMO, these things should not change the value that Connor McDavid brought to the Edmonton Oilers, this year.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Huh, check out Giroux's shot distance without Couturier:

Not nearly as good without him.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Here's the problem with voting for McDavid.

Why would people vote for him? Because he lead the league in points basically.

And now I ask, where did McDavid rank in scoring at the start of February for example?

Was it first? Nope. The only reason he lead the league in scoring is because he had a ridiculously good March. A March when his team was already basically eliminated from the playoffs. So McDavid wasn't the most valuable player during the portion of the season his team actually had a chance, he only went god-mode on us after, which isn't really all that valuable.

So what's the argument for him then?

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
I dont agree with Carlson for the Norris but at least he gave his reasons behind that. Love the Seth Jones pick.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Here's the problem with voting for McDavid.

Why would people vote for him? Because he lead the league in points basically.

And now I ask, where did McDavid rank in scoring at the start of February for example?

Was it first? Nope. The only reason he lead the league in scoring is because he had a ridiculously good March. A March when his team was already basically eliminated from the playoffs. So McDavid wasn't the most valuable player during the portion of the season his team actually had a chance, he only went god-mode on us after, which isn't really all that valuable.

So what's the argument for him then?

The only place on the internet where leading the league in points by a notable margin is somehow held against you.

HFBoards, everyone.

Most players have hot streaks. His hot streak started when he entered the league. Then he went absolutely crazy in March. I'd vote for him because he is the best offensive player in the league, and to me, that is MVP-worthy, playoffs or not.

Reactions: Future GOAT

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
The only place on the internet where leading the league in points by a notable margin is somehow held against you.

HFBoards, everyone.

Most players have hot streaks. His hot streak started when he entered the league. Then he went absolutely crazy in March. I'd vote for him because he is the best offensive player in the league, and to me, that is MVP-worthy, playoffs or not.

I see you didn't read my comment at all. I never said leading the league in points is held against him.

I don't necessarily believe that non-playoff players should be automatically eliminated be Hart contention, but we do need to look at how valuable they were to their team. For McDavid, that'd be looking at how his season went specifically when his team was still in contention. All I'm saying is he wasn't leading the league in points when his team was in contention, therefore it's hard to make the argument that he was the most valuable in games that actually mattered.

Imagine a scenario where Player A lead the league in scoring by 5 points over Player B. Player A's team was in the playoffs and decided to rest him for the last game of the season. Player B's team is out of the playoffs, so he played and got 6 points in the last game of the season. Would you honestly use the fact that Player B lead the league in scoring as an actual argument for his being the Hart winner? That's basically a more extreme example of McDavid's year.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Ridiculous that the hart is being boiled down to a best player from a mediocre team that exceeded expectations award. All previous great players should turn in their harts apparently. Mcdavid is the clear best player in the league and should win it based on the same criteria as your crosbys,malkins and ovies.

Reactions: the4thlinegrinder

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Ridiculous that the hart is being boiled down to a best player from a mediocre team that exceeded expectations award. All previous great players should turn in their harts apparently. Mcdavid is the clear best player in the league and should win it based on the same criteria as your crosbys,malkins and ovies.

When did Crosby, Malkin or Ovechkin win the Hart in a season their team missed the playoffs by almost 20 points?

I know what you were going for there (ie. Hart given to the "best player" that year), but it's an apples to oranges comparison because those three met one of the criteria that McDavid hasn't (team making the playoffs the year they won).

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
and this is why writers shouldn't vote on awards

3-for-3 on the Vezina today, which was voted on by the GMs not the PHWA. But I do like Victor Hedman's chances for the Norris in hindsight.

And for the poster who insisted I was just a "blogger" and not a "real journalist", maybe this "real story" will help get rid of that stereotype about myself and others at The Hockey Writers. The story of Erik Gardiner — Humboldt product and former Bronco — on the tragic bus crash and his deep-rooted connections to the team: Rockets' Gardiner grieving with hometown Humboldt Broncos

Last edited:
Reactions: MrGold

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
You can seriously pick any one of Mackinnon, Hall, Kopitar, Giroux, Malkin, McDavid and Kucherov for the Hart and you wont be wrong. What a ridiculous year for the Hart this year.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
I see you didn't read my comment at all. I never said leading the league in points is held against him.

I don't necessarily believe that non-playoff players should be automatically eliminated be Hart contention, but we do need to look at how valuable they were to their team. For McDavid, that'd be looking at how his season went specifically when his team was still in contention. All I'm saying is he wasn't leading the league in points when his team was in contention, therefore it's hard to make the argument that he was the most valuable in games that actually mattered.

Imagine a scenario where Player A lead the league in scoring by 5 points over Player B. Player A's team was in the playoffs and decided to rest him for the last game of the season. Player B's team is out of the playoffs, so he played and got 6 points in the last game of the season. Would you honestly use the fact that Player B lead the league in scoring as an actual argument for his being the Hart winner? That's basically a more extreme example of McDavid's year.

have people forgotten how sick McDavid was for a lot of the middle part of the season? Guy lost what? 10 or 15 pounds and still played and still kept himself in the scoring race and then towards the end of the season he exploded, and he improved his pace at the end of last year too, that's another feather in McDavid's cap if you ask me. He's for the endurance to maintain a high level the whole way through and even get better as the season stretches on.

McDavid should win the hart trophy and it really shouldn't be close, no one had a better season than him individually, but he's going to get jobbed out of it in the name of making it a team award.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
have people forgotten how sick McDavid was for a lot of the middle part of the season? Guy lost what? 10 or 15 pounds and still played and still kept himself in the scoring race and then towards the end of the season he exploded, and he improved his pace at the end of last year too, that's another feather in McDavid's cap if you ask me. He's for the endurance to maintain a high level the whole way through and even get better as the season stretches on.

McDavid should win the hart trophy and it really shouldn't be close, no one had a better season than him individually, but he's going to get jobbed out of it in the name of making it a team award.

Sickness, similar to injury, happens. It's the same reason Marc-Andre Fleury isn't in the Vezina running. If McDavid is completely healthy all year and plays like he did in March, he should win. But that's life. He wasn't the league's best player until after his team was well out of the playoffs.

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
They should really officially clarify that the winner of the Hart must come from a playoff team. Just write it in the criteria. Because the argument that any player on any of the playoff teams is more valuable to their team than McDavid is to the Oilers is beyond laughable.

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
The players all know who the best is. There has t been this big of a gap since Gretzky. The Hart is a media circle jerk with imaginary criteria to make themselves feel important.

I’m a flames fan and McDavid is head and shoulders the best player in the league and the most valuable to his (shitty) team.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
When did Crosby, Malkin or Ovechkin win the Hart in a season their team missed the playoffs by almost 20 points?

I know what you were going for there (ie. Hart given to the "best player" that year), but it's an apples to oranges comparison because those three met one of the criteria that McDavid hasn't (team making the playoffs the year they won).

Crosby was robbed of the Hart for the same reason, but the opposite way -- his team was too good. People were like "hurr durr the Pens are almost as good without him hurr durr Malkin".

It really has been dumbed down into a "best player on a team that barely made the playoffs" award. I guess that makes it easier to vote on.

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
If the Hart Trophy was actually awarded to the most valuable player to his team, Dale Hawerchuk would’ve won 5 or 6 Harts and Gretzky would’ve been lucky to get 1. But, if you look at the history of Hart winners, the Hart has regularly been awarded to the best player in the NHL.

That fans and writers are taking the criteria so literally this year (and yet also conveniently adding a playoff requirement to the criteria?) serves to do nothing but make this year’s Hart Trophy pointless. Like, why on earth should people care about an award that will effectively be for the best player on a team that snuck into the playoffs but also wasn’t that good of a team and also didn’t have any other stars? Why isn’t the Norris awarded to the most valuable defenceman to his team? The Vezina and so on...

Full disclosure: I am an Oiler fan who is clearly salty that McDavid will be snubbed out of the Hart, but I’ve also felt this way for years. Awarding an individual MVP award for team success makes absolutely no sense to me. And really, if you want to argue most valuable to his team, McDavid is pretty clearly that guy. He was involved in 45% of his team’s goals was it? Just so happens his team sucks.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
John Carlson to win Norris? He has never been in my mind to be even in consideration.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad