Fisher Reveals Votes for NHL’s Major Awards

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
We aren't talking about the merit of the judge.....we are talking about the value of what the judge thinks.

Do you care more about what your family, friends and colleagues that you work with think of you.....or some guy on the internet?

I would think an award selected by your peers has more value.
Just because I like the guys that are awarding it doesn't make the trophy more important.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
So since Klingberg didn't lead the NHL is scoring for 100% of the season but rather 98% of the season he is omitted and you stuck Carlson in his place?

I particularly like the foot note "With a depleted supporting cast, John Carlson stepped up and had a big hand in the Capitals staying on top of the Metropolitan Division."

Did you even see how depleted of secondary scoring Dallas had? Klingberg was a beast and almost single-handedly made up the gap.

Reactions: Crocoduck

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Carlson and Josi wouldn’t make my top 5 list for the norris, but mostly agree with everything else.

Even with the Oilers ultimately sucking, I still believe McDavid should get a Hart nomination. I mean, the guy had the best season of any forward, imagine how much worse it could have been??

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Norris votes are awful.

McDavid not in the top 3 for Hart based on him being on a bad team is utterly ridiculous.

I'm not sure if the writers are trying to outsmart themselves, or if they are just really, really stupid.

Not that it matters much. I've decided that any award decided on by writer voting is b.s. anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Future GOAT

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Not that it matters much. I've decided that any award decided on by writer voting is b.s. anyway.

Out of curiosity, if McDavid goes on to win 10 straight Hart trophies, will you never mention them as part of his legacy since they're BS awards anyway? Or will you only bring up his Art Ross and Lindsay trophies in any "best player of the decade" discussions?

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Did you consider Corey Perry for the Lady Byng? His PIMs were down from last year and way down from his career high, still producing at a solid clip...

Yer joking, right? ;)

If McDavid doesn't get a sniff of the Hart....no way in hell Perry should even be in the same room as the Byng.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Going backwards....in 2015 your argument fell apart..... Doughty had 31 fewer points than Karlsson.

17 and 16 you may have been right though. ;)
Doughty in 2015 has been the exception but it’s been a Art Ross for Defensemen expect once.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
his 100 point season was Hart caliber, but his 108 point season was worthless. Great logic by voters to hold team success against an individual

It's "most valuable to your team", so what value did McDavid actually provide? Hall had less points, but he literally dragged NJD into the playoffs by the scuff of their collective necks.

Yer joking, right? ;)

If McDavid doesn't get a sniff of the Hart....no way in hell Perry should even be in the same room as the Byng.

Presumably he was being facetious since that's basically the logic that was used to put Carlsson 1st in Norris voting. "hes not best at defense but he showed a lot of improvement and scored a lot"

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
It's "most valuable to your team", so what value did McDavid actually provide? Hall had less points, but he literally dragged NJD into the playoffs by the scuff of their collective necks.
Technically he provided 8 more points than last year. Do you think he did less to help his team win than last season?

Reactions: Future GOAT

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Technically he provided 8 more points than last year. Do you think he did less to help his team win than last season?

The end result was worse so I think you answered your own question there. The voting is going to be based on results - not who tried hard but failed.

Yes he scored a lot, but there are specific trophies for just scoring already. That's not what the Hart is

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The end result was worse so I think you answered your own question there. The voting is going to be based on results - not who tried hard but failed.

Yes he scored a lot, but there are specific trophies for just scoring already. That's not what the Hart is
That would only be true if it were an individual sport. Unless you are suggesting McDavid is the reason the rest of his team had a significantly worse season. Is that what you are saying?

McDavid didn't just try hard, he succeeded even more than he did last year at doing his job, which is putting the puck in the net. One player can only do what one player can do, he can't play on all 4 lines, on defence and play goalie all at once.

I wouldn't even vote McDavid first on my Hart ballot, but you argument is completely illogical.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Has something changed with the Vezina? The reporters don't vote for it, it's the GMs is it not?

OP is not a real journalist, just some guy with a blog and writes as if he is one.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
OP is not a real journalist, just some guy with a blog and writes as if he is one.

Wrong! I've been employed at a daily newspaper for the past decade as a junior hockey beat writer (WHL's Kelowna Rockets) and also happen to "blog" for THW as a side gig, but it should be noted I've been credentialed to cover more than 20 NHL games over the past four seasons, including last year's All-Star tournament in Los Angeles. THW has legit beat writers with press box and dressing room access for approximately a dozen teams and has been accredited by at least a handful more teams on a single-game basis, so please don't pigeonhole The Hockey Writers as "bloggers" when several of us are "real journalists." I, for one, make more than $70K annually doing nothing but writing about hockey. This is how I make my living, how I pay my bills.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
Wrong! I've been employed at a daily newspaper for the past decade as a junior hockey beat writer (WHL's Kelowna Rockets) and also happen to "blog" for THW as a side gig, but it should be noted I've been credentialed to cover more than 20 NHL games over the past four seasons, including last year's All-Star tournament in Los Angeles. THW has legit beat writers with press box and dressing room access for approximately a dozen teams and has been accredited by at least a handful more teams on a single-game basis, so please don't pigeonhole The Hockey Writers as "bloggers" when several of us are "real journalists." I, for one, make more than $70K annually doing nothing but writing about hockey. This is how I make my living, how I pay my bills.
ok then do your votes get counted officially towards who wins these awards?

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Why do you snub Giroux for the Hart? He carried his game from a 10 games losing streak to the playoffs and posted 102 points, while being elite at faceoffs and very responsible defensively.

Reactions: dingbathero

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Why do you snub Giroux for the Hart? He carried his game from a 10 games losing streak to the playoffs and posted 102 points, while being elite at faceoffs and very responsible defensively.

I don't think there's any shame in finishing fourth in this year's Hart voting. I had Giroux ahead of McDavid, Malkin, Kucherov, the Bruins (Marchand and Bergeron) and others. I just think Hall, MacKinnon and Kopitar were slightly more valuable to their respective teams. It came down to Kopitar or Giroux for my third candidate and I went with Kopitar because of how he rebounded from last season and did it without much help from Carter (due to injury) and a weaker supporting cast in general.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad