News Article: Fischler says: No 'C', No Cup

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
What a ridiculous thing to worry about. The players know who the leaders are. The leaders know they are the leaders. No one is going to get MORE leader-like by wearing a C. Nonsense.

A plurality of Leadership produces balance and less peaks and valleys

Reactions: zukeisgone

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
And Park would have basically won all of them if Orr wasn't around. Thats how good Park is, but he's largely forgotten just because his streak as the same as Orrs'.

Still can't believe the Rangers traded him, giving the Bruins the best 1-2 D punch of all time.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
Whether the Rangers name a captain or not, Fischler will be remain an egomaniacal blowhard.

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
My answer: Sort of.

I think we have a serious case of "too many cooks". When you have that ONE leader, that final stop, the tie breaker, etc, I think it changes the dynamic. Not everyone in the locker room liked Messier, but they followed him. I honestly think we could do with that one guy.

However, I don't think it's the only thing that is going to stop us from winning a cup.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
We should name 3 captains but only 1 of them is real and make them spin around and change positions really fast and you have to guess which one is the captain and if you get it right then Stan Fisclher gets a free soda.

Reactions: KevinFinnerty

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think he’s saying that the Rangers don’t have a captain-type player. Which is indeed a problem. This isn’t about just naming a captain, it’s about developing or acquiring a real Captain. He’s right, I think.
Though I’d say Gallant and Reaves and Goodrow seem to put the Rangers in a better spot than the last few years.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
There are plenty of veteran leaders on this team, Mika, Trouba, Strome, Panarin, and you can add Goodrow and Reaves to that mix also but the main guy in the locker room is Kreider. Physical beast, longest tenured Ranger and having a great season. Just give him the C already.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Orr and Park played all of 10 games together.

I guess I was thinking about the wrong years. I thought they played the 74-75 season together. That's why its important to double check something from before your time before you look stupid.

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
No leaders. Just workers.

Equality!!!

Shoot - someone should try applying that concept to running a country……………

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Its irrelevant... most teams have captains so it would make sense that not many teams win without one, it would be like saying most reliable cars have head rests. Everyone in the room knows who the leaders are, putting a letter on his jersey doesn't change that. I actually kinda like the idea now, i always thought they should have one but i look at it like this now, say we gave the captaincy to Zib, and now Goodrow comes along and he's the real captain in the dressingroom, you can't just take the C from Zib so in this scenario you just add Goodrow to the rotating 'A's.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I respect Fischler and I love that at like 90 he's still talking about hockey but I think this is BS. No other sport has this mythical status to captains. In football, their entire value is in calling heads or tails before the opening kickoff.
Not to be offensive, and again, these are not my intentions, this is typical for a fan to say. It shows how fans don't really understand what goes on in a room or behind closed doors. Sometimes a captain's approach sets the tone for the team and players. It goes a long way. Not saying the NYR do not have great leadership, but the idea that a captain does nothing except wear the letter is a bit of ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad