News Article: Fischler says: No 'C', No Cup

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I didn't believe in the concept not naming a Captain here in NY . Didn't buy into the whole lead by committee idea. 2021/22 NY Rangers are getting it done without one. 1st in the Metro, 1st in the Eastern Conference, 3rd best record in the NHL. None of that matters until it does on May 2nd.

"They won't win a Cup without a captain because nobody does anymore. Matter of fact, my Chief Figure Filbert, Al Greenberg, tells me that the last no-captain Cup-winner was the 1972 Bruins, led by Bobby Orr."

Bobby Orr won the Norris in 1971. Adam Fox won the Norris in 2021

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I respect Fischler and I love that at like 90 he's still talking about hockey but I think this is BS. No other sport has this mythical status to captains. In football, their entire value is in calling heads or tails before the opening kickoff.

Reactions: leetch99

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Welp. This season and at least next that is totally irrelevant. Might as well say “No pinball machine in the locker room, no cup.” Cause they aren’t winning the Cup in either year anyway.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I respect Fischler and I love that at like 90 he's still talking about hockey but I think this is BS. No other sport has this mythical status to captains. In football, their entire value is in calling heads or tails before the opening kickoff.
In football, I think they have six captains (like the Rangers!)

Reactions: THE BIG WHISTLE

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013

I'm going to have to disagree, there are many teams in footall that wouldn't be what they were without a strong leader on the pitch that leads by example. Roy Keane for Manchester United is the foremost example of that.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Didn’t Tampa basically win their Cup in 2020 without Stamkos who was injured?

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I didn't believe in the concept not naming a Captain here in NY . Didn't buy into the whole lead by committee idea. 2021/22 NY Rangers are getting it done without one. 1st in the Metro, 1st in the Eastern Conference, 3rd best record in the NHL. None of that matters until it does on May 2nd.

"They won't win a Cup without a captain because nobody does anymore. Matter of fact, my Chief Figure Filbert, Al Greenberg, tells me that the last no-captain Cup-winner was the 1972 Bruins, led by Bobby Orr."

I'm going to hold you to this.

Reactions: Lion Hound

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010

To be fair, Orr won the Norris every year. Haha

Reactions: Lion Hound

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
1. Name Trouba captain so we can win the cup this year

2. Which increases his value for when we trade him to clear cap space for McDavid

3. Profit

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm going to have to disagree, there are many teams in footall that wouldn't be what they were without a strong leader on the pitch that leads by example. Roy Keane for Manchester United is the foremost example of that.

I'm talking about American football and players can be leaders without a C on their chest.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Well clearly Stan doesn't read this board because if he did, he'd know this has been beaten to death. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad