Salary Cap: First time in 112 years with no Québec player in lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
The Montreal Canadiens are not their own League or their own Country; they exist as 1 of 32 teams in a Global Sports business where they are 1 of 32 different Organizations all fighting for the same players, coaches, executives, etc...and how does the Head Coach or GM position for the Habs equate to the survival of Quebecois language and culture??...again, a complete strawman; the culture and history of Quebec or of the Montreal Canadiens will absolutely survive and will continue thrive regardless of the language of its Head Coach/GM, be it Quebecois, English, Russian, or whatever...and it's not like the Habs haven't had a unilingual Anglo as Head Coach or Head Executive before and the team and the cultural heritage of Quebec seemed to survive just fine...there is zero reasons for mandating the language of NHL hockey players or coaches or executives other than to appease the small vocal minority of media and "language police" so poor Geoffy doesn't get a few mean tweets or articles written...

Incredible to write a whole paragraph based on thin air. Based on nothing. The Habs not having a Quebecois represensation would be a huge blow to Quebecois' survival. You say it would not BASED ON NOTHING.

You have not said one right thing during the whole debate so far. You completely missed the mark. And your arguments are not even good. I'm willling to be convinced but you have not done it as to why as a Quebecer I should be happy to let my World be destroyed.

Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I'm actually very surprised Québec is still in 2nd place amongst the provinces. Doesn't feel like it (regardless of our 2nd place in population).

As I posted earlier, what really gets me is that of the 8 players in the NHL from my home province of Nova Scotia, 3 of them are in the Top 9 in League Scoring...we rock!!...:laugh:

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Incredible to write a whole paragraph based on thin air. Based on nothing. The Habs not having a Quebecois represensation would be a huge blow to Quebecois' survival. You say it would not BASED ON NOTHING.

You have not said one right thing during the whole debate so far. You completely missed the mark. And your arguments are not even good. I'm willling to be convinced but you have not done it as to why as a Quebecer I should be happy to let my World be destroyed.

You got me...I will now disappear into the shadows of Shame and repent my wicked Life...:(

...or...

sarcasm.gif

Reactions: Kimota

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

Unless you are being sarcastic here, this is a tad dramatic don't you think?

Reactions: Kimota

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Exactly

Yes the organization should try to get a French GM, French Coach or whatever......but if there's a guy who's better and don't speak french, so be it. But in Montreal, it's like we have to give a chance to the French guy cause maybe he'll be good.

The same applied to draft pick.
Scouts think this guy will be better......but don't pick him, pick the French guy cause maybe he'll be good too.
They're right, maybe the French guy will end up the better pick, put that's crapping on the work of your scouts and go against what every other team is doing.
I was just thinking, the last French guy they picked in the first was Leblanc. And they did that put of pressure.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Agreed but as has been pointed out here already, the number of Francophone Quebecers in the entire League has gone down recently, not to mention that the number of Francophone Quebecers on the other teams in the League has, until recently, drastically increased, therefore limiting the number of them on the Canadiens roster...with many more teams in the NHL and the recent downward trend of Quebecois players in the league, it only makes sense that there would eventually come a time where the Habs had to ice a roster without a Quebecois player in it...

They might as well be pounding their fist towards the sky (towards god or the top of HockeyQc's ivory tower), cuz that's just inevitability.

That's why it's so ridiculous that there's even shock or dismay. Get with the program ffs.

Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I guess this is why Drouin couldn’t hack it lol. 31 pages of bickering

...we're solving World problems and all that...get with the program, ya old grump...:laugh:

They might as well be pounding their fist towards the sky (towards god or the top of HockeyQc's ivory tower), cuz that's just inevitability.

That's why it's so ridiculous that there's even shock or dismay. Get with the program ffs.

Politics in hockey is a large part of the problem and not just in Quebec, but everywhere in Canada...everyone wants to "score points" for their own purposes and it's the pure love of the Game that suffers...

Reactions: Habs

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Unless you are being sarcastic here, this is a tad dramatic don't you think?
Shouldn't the real question be: why the team doesn't have players with red hair? Isn't that as relevant to the causes as to why the team remains mired in mediocrity decade after decade?

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Shouldn't the real question be: why the team doesn't have players with red hair? Isn't that as relevant to the causes as to why the team remains mired in mediocrity decade after decade?

Does Carrot Top play hockey??...probably be about as useful as Staalsy has been...

...never mind; YOUPPI is a ginger and already has a jersey, put him on the Top D pairing instead of Shyterot...couldn't hurt anymore than Braindead Ben being there hurts...

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
No need to be sorry, amigo, it happens all over the World, idiots come in all walks of Life and they are just that, idiots; I still absolutely love Quebec and look back at my time there fondly, not to mention making lifelong friends with a lot of amazing Quebecois men & women...I also realize that most Anglophones here in Canada do not understand how hard it was for the Quebecois people in a bigoted Anglo world back then and truly felt that their cultural identity was being ignored and stolen from them...thankfully, it is slowly no longer becoming that World and embracing history and cultural significance doesn't have to come by discrimination & bigoted ideas but by inclusion and diversity...and while many here, myself included, may go too far on occasion with the "Quota" bullshyte, the Canadiens Organization is also at fault for perpetuating this stigma by doing things like mandating language for Head Coach/GM, things that not only fly in the face of good business practices in the Global Sports World Market, but also pander to the small vocal minority whom do not have the best interests of the Canadiens Organization in mind but do so simply to "score" political points, thus perpetuating the toxic environment that follows...we should all strive to embrace a New World of cultural inclusion and diversity and we all have a lot of work to do in order for that to happen any time soon...I personally have hope...

But in order to discriminate or have a positive or negative bias, if the idea is to look at this entity as if it was a company, there is NO WAY that you can say that the Montreal Canadiens are discriminating based on their entirety of the people they employ. 2 Quebecers on the ice. A huge minority of francos in the scouting departments.

Again, when an anglophone is hired, it's based on his talent, When a francophone is hired, it's based on a quota. Sorry, you just can't ignore the quota bullshit. It's COMPLETELY part of the discrimination you keep talking about. A francophone can only be good to fill a quota. A quote that OBVIOUSLY doesn't exist based on the draft picks, based on the team on the ice, based on the entirety of people employ except....the GM and coach.

In the meantime, in Toronto, today, there's 11 Ontarians on the ice. President and GM are from Ontario. 18 Ontarians were picked by Toronto since 2010. To which I guess you'll say well it's normal as OHL producees more NHL'ers than Quebecers.....and yet....out of those 18 guys picked, the number of guys that are in the NHL playing a role are...5. 27% of Ontarians are in the NHL. And I'm including a guy like Josh Leivo.

And yet, not once do I hear Leafs fans saying how they should stop positive discrimination. And they do MUCH MORE an effort. We have 2 QUebecers on the ice....and for some it's too much. Yes, don't go for a Quebecer for the fun of having one....but wouldn't NIck Deslauriers do a worst job than Joel Armia? Would Sammy Blais not be a fine pick in the 6th? Vejdemo instead of Roy? Not offering a NHL contract righa way to Barré-Boulet? Not be on the Gourde dossier? Not be on the Marchessault one at the beginning? And so on.?

Reactions: Domi a favor

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
No need to be sorry, amigo, it happens all over the World, idiots come in all walks of Life and they are just that, idiots; I still absolutely love Quebec and look back at my time there fondly, not to mention making lifelong friends with a lot of amazing Quebecois men & women...I also realize that most Anglophones here in Canada do not understand how hard it was for the Quebecois people in a bigoted Anglo world back then and truly felt that their cultural identity was being ignored and stolen from them...thankfully, it is slowly no longer becoming that World and embracing history and cultural significance doesn't have to come by discrimination & bigoted ideas but by inclusion and diversity...and while many here, myself included, may go too far on occasion with the "Quota" bullshyte, the Canadiens Organization is also at fault for perpetuating this stigma by doing things like mandating language for Head Coach/GM, things that not only fly in the face of good business practices in the Global Sports World Market, but also pander to the small vocal minority whom do not have the best interests of the Canadiens Organization in mind but do so simply to "score" political points, thus perpetuating the toxic environment that follows...we should all strive to embrace a New World of cultural inclusion and diversity and we all have a lot of work to do in order for that to happen any time soon...I personally have hope...

This is all very nice in theory....

But the reality is : The "New Global World" you are talking about, is most of the time, a world of English speaking white anglo saxon protestant. It's especially true in the NHL, the most conservative professional league in North America. Just below NASCAR. It's like you can't hire a finnish GM or a French speaking coach, without having a horde of fans crying out, and saying he only got the job because of his cultural background. It's so annoying. I mean, you talk about diversity and inclusion, when actually what you want is for the Habs to give up about being the only team in the NHL who give the first opportunity to French speaking coaches and GM... and in the end hiring only good ol' WASP like the 31 other teams.

It's not like people in Quebec want their coach/GM to be of a specific ethnicity or nationality. All they ask for is for them to be able to minimally handle the national language. Quebecers are themselves being asked to be fluent in a 2nd language (English) when applying for 75% of the jobs, even though the only national language here is French. For jobs as prestigious as the Habs head coach and GM, 2 of the most exposed people in the media after the prime minister, is it really too much to ask for them to be able to have a little understanding of the national language?

Talks about diversity and inclusion might become more credible once diversity isn't a new way to promote more English speaking white dudes.

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
In the meantime, in Toronto, today, there's 11 Ontarians on the ice.

Well they signed a bunch of old farts over the hill for practically minimum salary. Guess Bergevin could have done the same, instead of signing old Perry from Ontario, he could have signed Brassard to add one more ti-gars de chez-nous.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
Well they signed a bunch of old farts over the hill for practically minimum salary. Guess Bergevin could have done the same, instead of signing old Perry from Ontario, he could have signed Brassard to add one more ti-gars de chez-nous.

Well that's an old strategy from the Habs : Juneau, Audette, Brière, Parenteau, Brisebois (second stint), Bouillon (second stint) were all over the hill.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
But in order to discriminate or have a positive or negative bias, if the idea is to look at this entity as if it was a company, there is NO WAY that you can say that the Montreal Canadiens are discriminating based on their entirety of the people they employ. 2 Quebecers on the ice. A huge minority of francos in the scouting departments.

Again, when an anglophone is hired, it's based on his talent, When a francophone is hired, it's based on a quota. Sorry, you just can't ignore the quota bullshit. It's COMPLETELY part of the discrimination you keep talking about. A francophone can only be good to fill a quota. A quote that OBVIOUSLY doesn't exist based on the draft picks, based on the team on the ice, based on the entirety of people employ except....the GM and coach.

In the meantime, in Toronto, today, there's 11 Ontarians on the ice. President and GM are from Ontario. 18 Ontarians were picked by Toronto since 2010. To which I guess you'll say well it's normal as OHL producees more NHL'ers than Quebecers.....and yet....out of those 18 guys picked, the number of guys that are in the NHL playing a role are...5. 27% of Ontarians are in the NHL. And I'm including a guy like Josh Leivo.

And yet, not once do I hear Leafs fans saying how they should stop positive discrimination. And they do MUCH MORE an effort. We have 2 QUebecers on the ice....and for some it's too much. Yes, don't go for a Quebecer for the fun of having one....but wouldn't NIck Deslauriers do a worst job than Joel Armia? Would Sammy Blais not be a fine pick in the 6th? Vejdemo instead of Roy? Not offering a NHL contract righa way to Barré-Boulet? Not be on the Gourde dossier? Not be on the Marchessault one at the beginning? And so on.?

I'm in no way ignoring the "quota" bullshyte nor have I said that discrimination only goes one way in this or any case; however inserting an intentional or unintentional bias and, honestly, stupid decision-making, into the same conversation is comparing apples to oranges and perpetuating a false equivalence to different issues...as far as the "quota" issue goes; yes, too many times does this silly term come up when it comes to the hiring and use of Francophone Quebecers on the Montreal Canadiens and non-Quebecers do not realize the hurt that it causes the Quebecois people when it is used, especially in a derogatory sense...I myself have been guilty of it and regret it almost immediately as I know firsthand what it's like when you feel your cultural identity and language are under attack; we all should try and be better, more open to diversity and inclusion and while I can't speak for anyone else but myself, I try and will continue to try and be better...there will always be a small vocal minority who either don't understand this issue or simply choose not to understand it and cry "quota" whenever a Francophone Quebecer is hired; those are just ignorant people and not worth your time worrying about because you'll never change their inherent bigotry...

...now, that is still far different than the mandating the language issue that Geoff Molson himself implemented only to appease those seeking to score political points, not anything to do with hockey...that is still discriminatory...yes, I'm well aware that the Government of Quebec itself promotes this exact same "language police" BS and that doesn't make it any less bigoted...that said, Politics have no place in hockey on either side of the issue...in the end, we're all Habs fans and want our beloved Bleu, Blanc, et Rouge to once again rise to the pinnacle of he NHL and one surefire way to aide in that is to remove these non-hockey related barriers that we ourselves impose...

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Well they haven’t won in almost 30 years with Frenchmen in the lineup so maybe change it up! :sarcasm:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The pressure and scrutiny has been in Montreal for a 100 years. And there were many French hockey heroes long before Drouin.
The Francophone hero’s from era past was during a time when players had zero autonomy. Once player autonomy ramped up post-1994 lockout....the age of heroism is toast. It’s a business for all involved to maximize profits - teams & players alike.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
This is all very nice in theory....

But the reality is : The "New Global World" you are talking about, is most of the time, a world of English speaking white anglo saxon protestant. It's especially true in the NHL, the most conservative professional league in North America. Just below NASCAR. It's like you can't hire a finnish GM or a French speaking coach, without having a horde of fans crying out, and saying he only got the job because of his cultural background. It's so annoying. I mean, you talk about diversity and inclusion, when actually what you want is for the Habs to give up about being the only team in the NHL who give the first opportunity to French speaking coaches and GM... and in the end hiring only good ol' WASP like the 31 other teams.

It's not like people in Quebec want their coach/GM to be of a specific ethnicity or nationality. All they ask for is for them to be able to minimally handle the national language. Quebecers are themselves being asked to be fluent in a 2nd language (English) when applying for 75% of the jobs, even though the only national language here is French. For jobs as prestigious as the Habs head coach and GM, 2 of the most exposed people in the media after the prime minister, is it really too much to ask for them to be able to have a little understanding of the national language?

Talks about diversity and inclusion might become more credible once diversity isn't a new way to promote more English speaking white dudes.

OK, first and foremost we need to get something out of the way, Quebec is not a sovereign nation, it is a province in Canada and therein lies much of the issue you seem to have with "WASPs", which I am NOT, btw...the entirety of your post is a grievance list of North America being mostly made up of Anglophones while ignoring the context of this particular issue of mandating the language of an NHL coach for no other reason than to perpetuate a falsehood that having an Anglophone in the position would somehow do irreparable damage the the history and cultural significance of the Montreal Canadiens and the Quebecois people...Habs history itself destroys that myth, as there have been Anglos in the position and in the Head Executive position and Quebec still stands tall and proud, does it not??...believe it or not, but not everything that happens in Quebec has to be a political powder keg based on who feels more aggrieved from issues of the past...no one is even attempting to take your language or cultural significance & history away and turning every little issue that happens in the entire province into politics is only done by those who wish to promote old, bigoted ideas in a world that's trying to become more diverse...that's discrimination...period...

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad