Salary Cap: First time in 112 years with no Québec player in lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
When people post threads about this subject, I think it's the sign of things to come. I don't even know why they want to play here and deal with this shit. I don't know if its possible to be a french canadian and have success here since social media has taken over. I would dread to be a french player in this town, life is easier, and less taxing in other parts of the league.
You could day the same thing about women or people of color who have to deal with adversity in certain parts of the world.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I read that Habs draft quebecers players but they don't since Leblanc. 20 years of non drafting quebecers. Clearly, Timmins doesn't like quebecers players and he doesn't draft them over the last 20 years. Timmins might be right doing it but Bergevin is a big lyer saying drafting quebecers is one of priority (he said that the day he was hired).

If any quebecer is drafted or traded here, there is people here day and night saying he is here just because he speaks french. I mean, give him a break, a quebecer need to have his fair chance.
There should be a rule anti-harassment because I could name few posters litterally doing players harassment. This appy also for other players, other nationality.

This board needs to adapt to the new reality of keyboard bullies. They come here daily trolling, bashing this or this player, like compulsive psychos. Most of the time I come here like a Robin Hood trying to stop bashings because I don't read a lot of intelligent posts about hockey. This board is polluted by trolls. Maybe I should use the button ignore and avoid the trolls. Exchange intelligent posts with the posters who are bringing something interresting in the discussion.
What Quebecers could gave been drafted over the past 20 years INSTEAD of the guys they drafted?? Did they actually pass on someone who had success in the league elsewhere? I'm not so sure. And I'm talking about someone who was actually ranked high and they passed on him.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
The celtic scot can't feel solidarity with the french canadian who endured the anglo saxon oppressor?
And also the native indians, the black slaves, the greeks who had the turkish oppressor for 1000 years, the armenians with the turkish, the irish, etc. Why the oppressed people can't feel some solidarity, understanding and stick together?
Victim much, Jebus.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
What Quebecers could gave been drafted over the past 20 years INSTEAD of the guys they drafted?? Did they actually pass on someone who had success in the league elsewhere? I'm not so sure. And I'm talking about someone who was actually ranked high and they passed on him.

Bergeron, Beauvillier, Claude Giroux (I know he's form Hearst, but still). The case could be made that it's truer for late picks .

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I'm in no way ignoring the "quota" bullshyte nor have I said that discrimination only goes one way in this or any case; however inserting an intentional or unintentional bias and, honestly, stupid decision-making, into the same conversation is comparing apples to oranges and perpetuating a false equivalence to different issues...as far as the "quota" issue goes; yes, too many times does this silly term come up when it comes to the hiring and use of Francophone Quebecers on the Montreal Canadiens and non-Quebecers do not realize the hurt that it causes the Quebecois people when it is used, especially in a derogatory sense...I myself have been guilty of it and regret it almost immediately as I know firsthand what it's like when you feel your cultural identity and language are under attack; we all should try and be better, more open to diversity and inclusion and while I can't speak for anyone else but myself, I try and will continue to try and be better...there will always be a small vocal minority who either don't understand this issue or simply choose not to understand it and cry "quota" whenever a Francophone Quebecer is hired; those are just ignorant people and not worth your time worrying about because you'll never change their inherent bigotry...

...now, that is still far different than the mandating the language issue that Geoff Molson himself implemented only to appease those seeking to score political points, not anything to do with hockey...that is still discriminatory...yes, I'm well aware that the Government of Quebec itself promotes this exact same "language police" BS and that doesn't make it any less bigoted...that said, Politics have no place in hockey on either side of the issue...in the end, we're all Habs fans and want our beloved Bleu, Blanc, et Rouge to once again rise to the pinnacle of he NHL and one surefire way to aide in that is to remove these non-hockey related barriers that we ourselves impose...

The thing is that it's been a very long time than any Quebecers were able to make it elsewhere than Montreal and still it continues to this day. There is NO WAY than on talent only, you shouldn't have more Quebecers everywhere in management or on the ice. Yet, while the language might not be the decisive factor, who you know is.

The reason why we have so much trouble naming a potential francophone GM for the Habs is for the lack of francophones working for teams throughout the league. Whether it's through positive or negative discrimination.

So I guess we've named the Montreal Canadians as a vector to get those Quebecers out there in a NHL environment. Does it make the job tougher which is to win and to play a that kind of role? Maybe. Yet, other than Houle and Tremblay, there was never a moment since the start of our crappy years than we can say we've hired a guy whose sole quality was to speak french. And NOBODY that has any kind of brain will tell me that we've missed an exceptional candidate in Randy Cunneyworth because of the same criteria.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Well they signed a bunch of old farts over the hill for practically minimum salary. Guess Bergevin could have done the same, instead of signing old Perry from Ontario, he could have signed Brassard to add one more ti-gars de chez-nous.

Strange that you talk of Perry and not Staal....wonder why.

And by the way, out of 11, it's 3 old farts. That means 8 non-old farts.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Bergeron, Beauvillier, Claude Giroux (I know he's form Hearst, but still). The case could be made that it's truer for late picks .
Bergeron was drafted in the 2nd round. I'll give you Giroux. As for Beauvillier, was he ranked where they picked? They chose a defenceman that year anyway, which is probably what they needed. My point was, yes, those guys were good players, but to go out of your way to draft them just because they're French is ridiculous. Yes, in hindsight they would've been much better picks, but no one could know that. You draft a combination of who you think is ranked highest and what you need. Not on nationality
Actually now that I think about it, this is just a ridiculous topic. The true issue should be who they passed on when they drafted some very poor players!

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, 'Cause the Ottawa Senators have exactly the same past then the Montreal Canadiens.....Just another stupid McCagg post. The guy who keeps badmouthing Habs fans for bashing the JK pick, while forgetting to mention that he predicted that Zadina would be a 40-goal scorer in the NHL.....
Hahaha, that dude has the biggest ego ever.

Also, this thread is still stupid. I don't care where you're from, what you look like, how tall you are, how heavy you are... if you score goals, work hard, and play better than the opposition - I'm down.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Hahaha, that dude has the biggest ego ever.

Also, this thread is still stupid. I don't care where you're from, what you look like, how tall you are, how heavy you are... if you score goals, work hard, and play better than the opposition - I'm down.
This...................common sense!!!!
Kudos!!

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
What you're talking about isn't solidarity and understanding, it's literally us doing to the "Anglo Saxon community" what their ancestors did to ours (and yes, what some still continue to perpetuate to this day)...what does that do other than perpetuate the vicious circle of discrimination, bigotry, and xenophobia??...cultural identity, heritage, and history is extremely important to all peoples and I totally understand wanting to cultivate, nurture & protect it, but we all also must not let the sins of our collective past stagnate & detract from the growth of our collective future...discrimination, bigotry, and xenophobia should have no place in a more diverse, inclusive World and that's where we should all hope to be headed towards...trust me, as a retired Veteran, I've seen areas of the World where warring cultures have ravaged not just their supposed adversaries, but their own people as well...finding things to "go to war for" is easy; it's finding areas of common ground where all involved succeed and grow, that's the sweet spot and that's how we all succeed as a people...
Good post but this is one team in 31 teams. You want an anglophone to have a job here when he can have the job at 30 other places. So it ends up no francophone can get that job in the 31 teams league.

I respect your veteran background but I find extreme your example of civil war just for a nhl team who wants a gm and coach able to speak french to talk to the quebecer fans who doesn't understand english.
The xenophobic, racism and bigotery is not in Quebec. The history of anglo saxons are filled with what you say : massive slavery in usa, arrogant attitude in India and China, genocide of the american natives (indians), etc. They created war everywhere and always act like the were superior. You point in the wrong direction. Quebecers just want to keep what they have, their identity, that's all.

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
Strange that you talk of Perry and not Staal....wonder why.

Because Perry was signed as a UFA before the start of the season, just like Brassard... Didn't think that I would have to explain that, it was so obvious. Anyway, any nitpicking to bash the organization, I suppose.

Jul 6, 2016
Would Barcelona play without players born in Catalonia ?

Wold PSG play without French players ?

Would Milano play without Italian players ?

Jul 6, 2016
You do realize that all your examples stem from soccer? Please provide a NHL example. There is none other than the Habs. It's a complete ridiculous argument.

Would Toronto play without Ontario boys ? Almost every single players born in Ontario wants to play for the Leafs.

NJ management have made all efforts they could to get as many American boys in their line up over the years. Same in Minnesota.

Habs have made a shit job, finding, recruiting and developing Quebec born players. That's a fact !

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
You could day the same thing about women or people of color who have to deal with adversity in certain parts of the world.

Really? That's the rabbit hole you want to go down? You can't spot the difference between an athlete being paid millions of dollars to play a game, and what you just said?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Would Toronto play without Ontario boys ? Almost every single players born in Ontario wants to play for the Leafs.

NJ management have made all efforts they could to get as many American boys in their line up over the years. Same in Minnesota.

Habs have made a shit job, finding, recruiting and developing Quebec born players. That's a fact !
Good points, but the Ontario government has done 10X the job the Quebec government has, so that's not on the Habs.
Leafs have an advantage, and can probably thank Hockey Ontario the government, and their marketing dept.
The habs have let the media run their show, and the kids from Quebec want nothing to do with it.............weird eh.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Ontario is the biggest producer of NHL players in Canada, so they don't even need to push for that and contrarily to Qc players, they don't seem to mind going back to their home province.

And NJ is a financial disaster, desperate to find any way to get more fans in the arena. They do it for money, but contrarily to the habs, they have a good excuse, while habs just wanna reap profits.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Good post but this is one team in 31 teams. You want an anglophone to have a job here when he can have the job at 30 other places. So it ends up no francophone can get that job in the 31 teams league.

I respect your veteran background but I find extreme your example of civil war just for a nhl team who wants a gm and coach able to speak french to talk to the quebecer fans who doesn't understand english.
The xenophobic, racism and bigotery is not in Quebec. The history of anglo saxons are filled with what you say : massive slavery in usa, arrogant attitude in India and China, genocide of the american natives (indians), etc. They created war everywhere and always act like the were superior. You point in the wrong direction. Quebecers just want to keep what they have, their identity, that's all.

Okay, a couple of things:

1) Francophone's can and do get front office and coaching jobs elsewhere. Dorion and Brisebois are both Francophones and GMs. There are AGMs and other senior management types who are bilingual in the NHL. And while many got their start in the Habs org., a lot didn't. Its not like the wider hockey world just ignores the province of Quebec. They just spend less time worrying about the persons last name. And I suspect a lot of Montreal's front office issues stem from being behind the times and I don't doubt for a second that drawing from a small pool and politics plays a role in that. There's a reason why a guy like Brisebois left Montreal for the same position in Tampa.

2) I'm a Habs fan born in Toronto. I'm Habs fan because my dad is from Quebec. He's not there now because of opportunities and because he wasn't comfortable in Quebec anymore. And we aren't Anglo-Saxon or Pure Laine. The Habs have a certain level of responsibility to the community they are a part of. And they generally do a very good job in that. But the Habs aren't nearly as valuable a franchise and don't make the kind of money they do if they're not also paying attention to their fans outside of Quebec and their fans in Quebec who aren't francophone. They can't simply optimize themselves as the francophone affirmative action team if it comes at the expense of actually winning. Its a hard line that they generally walk.

expy

Nov 2, 2010

Winning, skill, talent, everything > Language.

Oh and let's not talk about xenophobia, racism, and bigotry in this thread, this is specifically about language of team personnel. Also, let's not kid ourselves, I was born and raised in Quebec, and there is all of that in Quebec, I've witnessed and lived through it.

iamtalbot

Oct 18, 2007
I'm not from Quebec and I would think drafting best player available is the right way to go HOWEVER I can see Montreal does have a special history with french players. I've done this before in NHL games (I know Marc, I know, this is not playstation) but I figured today I would do a hypothetical redraft to see what we would have acquired in our drafts if we had gone with best Quebec player available with our picks.

So I'll be using the draft histories from Hockeydb.com and I'll go down the list after our draft choice and who was the next available Quebec player I can find. It doesnt' list their birth place without going into each player individually so I'll look for anyone playing in a Quebec league and then check if they were born in Quebec.

1st round: our pick - #3 Alex Galchenyuk, next available was Raphael Bussieres at #46 (never played NHL game)
2nd round: our pick #33 Sebastian Colberg, next available Dillon Fournier #48 (never played NHL)
2nd round: our pick #51 Dalton Thrower, next available Alexandre Mallet #57 (never played NHL)

1st round: our pick #25 Mike Mccarron, next available was Zach Fucale #36 who was also selected
2nd round: Jacob Del La Rose #34, next available Laurent Dauphin #39 (played 39 games, scored 3 goals)
2nd round: Zach Fucale #36, next available was Gabryel Bourdreau #49 (never played in NHL)
2nd round: Arturri Lekonnen #55, next available was Marco Roy #56 (never played in NHL)

1st round: our pick #26 Nikita Sherbak, next available alexis Vanier #102 (never played in NHL)

1st round: our pick #26 Noah Juulsen, next available Anthony Beauvillier #28 (played 333 NHL games, 81 goals)
3rd round: #87 lukas Vejdomo, next pick callum booth #93 (never played NHL game)

1st round: our pick #9 Mikael Sergachev, next available Julien Gauthier #21 (played 47 games scored 2 goals)

wow that was depressing. I would have missed any quebec born player who played outside the Quebec Major Junior League and i didn't include foreign born players playing in that league. Draw your own conclusions but I feel based on what I'm seeing the days of the Montreal Canadiens being predominantly made up of Quebec born players is gone.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

Lol you think there isn't of bunch of racists in QC who think like Rej Tremblay? How far deep in the sand is your head exactly? I mean, get off that super high horse... you think Pierre-Jean-Jacques is justified for using the slur "les osti d'Anglâs"??????

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->