Salary Cap: First time in 112 years with no Québec player in lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
The pressure and scrutiny has been in Montreal for a 100 years. And there were many French hockey heroes long before Drouin.

When people post threads about this subject, I think it's the sign of things to come. I don't even know why they want to play here and deal with this shit. I don't know if its possible to be a french canadian and have success here since social media has taken over. I would dread to be a french player in this town, life is easier, and less taxing in other parts of the league.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
This is all very nice in theory....

But the reality is : The "New Global World" you are talking about, is most of the time, a world of English speaking white anglo saxon protestant. It's especially true in the NHL, the most conservative professional league in North America. Just below NASCAR. It's like you can't hire a finnish GM or a French speaking coach, without having a horde of fans crying out, and saying he only got the job because of his cultural background. It's so annoying. I mean, you talk about diversity and inclusion, when actually what you want is for the Habs to give up about being the only team in the NHL who give the first opportunity to French speaking coaches and GM... and in the end hiring only good ol' WASP like the 31 other teams.

It's not like people in Quebec want their coach/GM to be of a specific ethnicity or nationality. All they ask for is for them to be able to minimally handle the national language. Quebecers are themselves being asked to be fluent in a 2nd language (English) when applying for 75% of the jobs, even though the only national language here is French. For jobs as prestigious as the Habs head coach and GM, 2 of the most exposed people in the media after the prime minister, is it really too much to ask for them to be able to have a little understanding of the national language?

Talks about diversity and inclusion might become more credible once diversity isn't a new way to promote more English speaking white dudes.

You shouldn't talk about credibility when your post is filled with red herrings, strawmen arguments, pseudo-facts, exagerations and complete falsehoods.

And don't dare me to give precise examples of each and everyone of them.

Ta mentalité, ton besoin mal placé d'être représenté, est une des raisons majeurs que tes compatriotes ne veulent pas venir jouer ici. Les medias sont l'autre raison majeur et tu rentres exactement dans leur jeu et ils exploitent ce besoin au maximum, au détriment d'une bonne gestion pragmatique dénudé de considérations inutiles au hockey, car Molson aussi semble rentrer dans ce même jeu..

Last edited:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I was just thinking, the last French guy they picked in the first was Leblanc. And they did that put of pressure.
I read that Habs draft quebecers players but they don't since Leblanc. 20 years of non drafting quebecers. Clearly, Timmins doesn't like quebecers players and he doesn't draft them over the last 20 years. Timmins might be right doing it but Bergevin is a big lyer saying drafting quebecers is one of priority (he said that the day he was hired).

If any quebecer is drafted or traded here, there is people here day and night saying he is here just because he speaks french. I mean, give him a break, a quebecer need to have his fair chance.
There should be a rule anti-harassment because I could name few posters litterally doing players harassment. This appy also for other players, other nationality.

This board needs to adapt to the new reality of keyboard bullies. They come here daily trolling, bashing this or this player, like compulsive psychos. Most of the time I come here like a Robin Hood trying to stop bashings because I don't read a lot of intelligent posts about hockey. This board is polluted by trolls. Maybe I should use the button ignore and avoid the trolls. Exchange intelligent posts with the posters who are bringing something interresting in the discussion.

Last edited:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
When people post threads about this subject, I think it's the sign of things to come. I don't even know why they want to play here and deal with this shit. I don't know if its possible to be a french canadian and have success here since social media has taken over. I would dread to be a french player in this town, life is easier, and less taxing in other parts of the league.
My advice for the quebecer player is don't come here ! Run away from Montreal !!
Dé***sse d'icitte sinon tu vas le regretter, c'est pas ta place icitte !

Reactions: Habs

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
This is all very nice in theory....

But the reality is : The "New Global World" you are talking about, is most of the time, a world of English speaking white anglo saxon protestant. It's especially true in the NHL, the most conservative professional league in North America. Just below NASCAR. It's like you can't hire a finnish GM or a French speaking coach, without having a horde of fans crying out, and saying he only got the job because of his cultural background. It's so annoying. I mean, you talk about diversity and inclusion, when actually what you want is for the Habs to give up about being the only team in the NHL who give the first opportunity to French speaking coaches and GM... and in the end hiring only good ol' WASP like the 31 other teams.

It's not like people in Quebec want their coach/GM to be of a specific ethnicity or nationality. All they ask for is for them to be able to minimally handle the national language. Quebecers are themselves being asked to be fluent in a 2nd language (English) when applying for 75% of the jobs, even though the only national language here is French. For jobs as prestigious as the Habs head coach and GM, 2 of the most exposed people in the media after the prime minister, is it really too much to ask for them to be able to have a little understanding of the national language?

Talks about diversity and inclusion might become more credible once diversity isn't a new way to promote more English speaking white dudes.

great post. It points out the fact that those who cry for diversity can be (and often are) deeply hypocritical.

Last edited:

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
You shouldn't talk about credibility when your post is filled with red herrings, strawmen arguments, pseudo-facts, exagerations and complete falsehoods.

Ta mentalité, ton besoin mal placé d'être représenté, est une des raisons majeurs que tes compatriotes ne veulent pas venir jouer ici. Les medias sont l'autre raison majeur et tu rentres exactement dans leur jeu et ils exploitent ce besoin au maximum, au détriment d'une bonne gestion pragmatique dénudé de considérations inutiles au hockey, car Molson aussi semble rentrer dans ce même jeu..

I just quoted you back, look :

time to give up trying to be the moral compass when the subject at hand is clearly beyond your comprehension.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
great post. It points out the fact that those who cry for diversity can (and often are) be deeply hypocritical.

Wow...don't look in the mirror much, huh??...funny how those who turn every discussion into one of cultural significance & history can be (and often are) the same ones who ignore those same things when it comes to others...

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Wow...don't look in the mirror much, huh??...funny how those who turn every discussion into one of cultural significance & history can be (and often are) the same ones who ignore those same things when it comes to others...

Your post does not make sense. wear the hat if it fits. You are not educated proportionally to your level of contribution in this discussion. Just thought I'd let you know.

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
There should be a rule anti-harassment because I could name few posters litterally doing players harassment. This appy also for other players, other nationality.

Yeah right.... how about the owner, the GM, the director of scouting, where do you want to stop? This is a fan base on a message board. Do you really think the players (and the organization) are spending their time in here reading all our stuff? Go to social media, twitter, facebook, etc... that's where all the real vile stuff is happening directly to the players and their family.

Reactions: Roadhouse

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
OK, first and foremost we need to get something out of the way, Quebec is not a sovereign nation, it is a province in Canada and therein lies much of the issue you seem to have with "WASPs", which I am NOT, btw...the entirety of your post is a grievance list of North America being mostly made up of Anglophones while ignoring the context of this particular issue of mandating the language of an NHL coach for no other reason than to perpetuate a falsehood that having an Anglophone in the position would somehow do irreparable damage the the history and cultural significance of the Montreal Canadiens and the Quebecois people...Habs history itself destroys that myth, as there have been Anglos in the position and in the Head Executive position and Quebec still stands tall and proud, does it not??...believe it or not, but not everything that happens in Quebec has to be a political powder keg based on who feels more aggrieved from issues of the past...no one is even attempting to take your language or cultural significance & history away and turning every little issue that happens in the entire province into politics is only done by those who wish to promote old, bigoted ideas in a world that's trying to become more diverse...that's discrimination...period...

Not sure why you are quoting me, since your post isn't really a reply to mine. You do make a lot of assumptions on what my motivations might be, but you have it all wrong.

Read my post again. You're the one talking about diversity. I'm saying purging the only NHL team that brings a French speaking element from its French speaking element, like you seem to suggest, would actually hurt diversity.

I'm also saying that having language requirements for a job is not discrimination. It's something we are all facing as Quebecers and it’s a pretty normal thing in a bilingual country. There's nothing political about it. The people who oppose it tends to make this very political though.

Reactions: THE HOFF

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud

Tell this to Tyler Toffoli. He sounds very horrified and repulsed by the evil French speaking culture this team has been carrying for over a century.

Oh yeah, most players and fans also chose to embrace it. It's what makes the Habs unique. It's the Habs contribution to diversity. No need to erase it.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Your post does not make sense. wear the hat if it fits. You are not educated proportionally to your level of contribution in this discussion. Just thought I'd let you know.

...and you'd be completely incorrect, unsurprisingly...you want to paint all Anglos with the same brush while being faux offended when you perceive it advantageous to pretend it is happening to you...my "hat" isn't Anglo Saxon English, it's Celtic Scot; the same Scots that were also discriminated against, oppressed, driven from their homes and lands, and unceremoniously slaughtered by Anglo Saxons for centuries...however, perhaps you're just not educated enough on history to be of any contribution to this discussion, so I'll excuse the slight...:thumbu:

Last edited:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Yeah right.... how about the owner, the GM, the director of scouting, where do you want to stop? This is a fan base on a message board. Do you really think the players (and the organization) are spending their time in here reading all our stuff? Go to social media, twitter, facebook, etc... that's where all the real vile stuff is happening directly to the players and their family.
Yeah, I guess here is the Mini-Me compared to Dr Evil of Twitter and Facebook. The Big League.
Twitter is just disgusting, I'm not crazy about vomit. I go on Facebook but I stay in safe spaces.
But here it could be so much interresting, we have mods, rules, etc. It always end up with narrow minded posts and compulsive harassment about this or this player, mostly quebecer player, quebecer gm, quebecer coach, Molson owner.

There is 31 teams, two with quebecer gm, one who won Stanley Cup, the other one didn't. If one team wins SC, there is 30 teams filled with morons, most of them anglophones, so what's the question here? Do you see how non-sence I just have been?

I had a dream, I dreamed that Habs fans don't question and don't fall into the quebecer bashing. This team have this identity, this history, this thing different about his language, take it or leave it.
If you desagree, where you're still here, there is 29 other teams with anglophone coach and gm.

Reactions: WatchfulElm

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Not sure why you are quoting me, since your post isn't really a reply to mine. You do make a lot of assumptions on what my motivations might be, but you have it all wrong.

Read my post again. You're the one talking about diversity. I'm saying purging the only NHL team that brings a French speaking element from its French speaking element, like you seem to suggest, would actually hurt diversity.

I'm also saying that having language requirements for a job is not discrimination. It's something we are all facing as Quebecers and it’s a pretty normal thing in a bilingual country. There's nothing political about it. The people who oppose it tends to make this very political though.

...so why then do the players whom work for the Montreal Canadiens not have to speak Quebecois??...how is it that you fail to count the vast number of Quebecois persons working for the other 31 teams in the NHL, do they not count as "French speaking element", as you put it??...my position has always been hire the best person for the job, while your seems to be hire the best person for the job as long as they speak Quebecois; so who's making it political??...diversity is inclusion, not detraction and uniformity...and yes, having a language requirement that is used only when it's advantageous to those seeking to score political points and then ignoring it when it's not advantageous (like Head Coach must be Quebecois to work in Quebec but players don't cuz then no team would be able to be iced and no money would be made) is discrimination, regardless of who sanctions it...

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
...and you'd be completely incorrect, unsurprisingly...you want to paint all Anglos with the same brush while being faux offended when you perceive it advantageous to pretend is happening to you...my "hat" isn't Anglo Saxon English, it's Celtic Scot; the same Scots that were also discriminated against, oppressed, driven from their homes and lands, and unceremoniously slaughtered by Anglo Saxons for centuries...however, perhaps you're just not educated enough on history to be of any contribution to this discussion, so I'll excuse the slight...:thumbu:
The celtic scot can't feel solidarity with the french canadian who endured the anglo saxon oppressor?
And also the native indians, the black slaves, the greeks who had the turkish oppressor for 1000 years, the armenians with the turkish, the irish, etc. Why the oppressed people can't feel some solidarity, understanding and stick together?

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
...so why then do the players whom work for the Montreal Canadiens not have to speak Quebecois??...how is it that you fail to count the vast number of Quebecois persons working for the other 31 teams in the NHL, do they not count as "French speaking element", as you put it??...my position has always been hire the best person for the job, while your seems to be hire the best person for the job as long as they speak Quebecois; so who's making it political??...diversity is inclusion, not detraction and uniformity...and yes, having a language requirement that is used only when it's advantageous to those seeking to score political points and then ignoring it when it's not advantageous (like Head Coach must be Quebecois to work in Quebec but players don't cuz then no team would be able to be iced and no money would be made) is discrimination, regardless of who sanctions it...

You once again completely distort my point and make me say things I did not. It’s not worth wasting more time, sorry.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
...and you'd be completely incorrect, unsurprisingly...you want to paint all Anglos with the same brush while being faux offended when you perceive it advantageous to pretend it is happening to you...my "hat" isn't Anglo Saxon English, it's Celtic Scot; the same Scots that were also discriminated against, oppressed, driven from their homes and lands, and unceremoniously slaughtered by Anglo Saxons for centuries...however, perhaps you're just not educated enough on history to be of any contribution to this discussion, so I'll excuse the slight...:thumbu:

well that makes your comments even more puzzling. I studied history for many years in universities (and still do in my free time), with a personal focus on the cuban revolution, the united states, and scotland's struggle for independence. John Hartson, when he played for celtics, was my favorite soccer player.

I respect the sharing part so I will tell you I am the remains of the danube swabians. This place gave a home to my parents and I am engaged in helping this culture thrive because it gave so much to me.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
The celtic scot can't feel solidarity with the french canadian who endured the anglo saxon oppressor?
And also the native indians, the black slaves, the greeks who had the turkish oppressor for 1000 years, the armenians with the turkish, the irish, etc. Why the oppressed people can't feel some solidarity, understanding and stick together?

What you're talking about isn't solidarity and understanding, it's literally us doing to the "Anglo Saxon community" what their ancestors did to ours (and yes, what some still continue to perpetuate to this day)...what does that do other than perpetuate the vicious circle of discrimination, bigotry, and xenophobia??...cultural identity, heritage, and history is extremely important to all peoples and I totally understand wanting to cultivate, nurture & protect it, but we all also must not let the sins of our collective past stagnate & detract from the growth of our collective future...discrimination, bigotry, and xenophobia should have no place in a more diverse, inclusive World and that's where we should all hope to be headed towards...trust me, as a retired Veteran, I've seen areas of the World where warring cultures have ravaged not just their supposed adversaries, but their own people as well...finding things to "go to war for" is easy; it's finding areas of common ground where all involved succeed and grow, that's the sweet spot and that's how we all succeed as a people...

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
well that makes your comments even more puzzling. I studied history for many years in universities (and still do in my free time), with a personal focus on the cuban revolution, the united states, and scotland's struggle for independence. John Hartson, when he played for celtics, was my favorite soccer player.

I respect the sharing part so I will tell you I am the remains of the danube swabians. This place gave a home to my parents and I am engaged in helping this culture thrive because it gave so much to me.

I understand wanting your adopted culture to thrive, just as I feel for your ancestor's plight as an oppressed people, I just do not understand how the cultural uniformity issue, especially in this case, is protecting the Quebecois culture and identity; I see it as just another way to promote bigotry instead of diversity...I'm very aware that the Anglo world that is the majority of North America is far from perfect and requires a lot of healing and understanding...I personally am of the mind that Diversity is the best way to begin that process and truly hope that the World my grandkids grow up in is a lot different (and much more diverse) than the one I grew up in...I'd even go almost as far as to say I pray for it, except for the fact that I'm an Atheist and that would just be weird...:)

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I just quoted you back, look :

time to give up trying to be the moral compass when the subject at hand is clearly beyond your comprehension.

Moral compass? You can't even peg my POV and are simply doing projection. I'm a pragmatist who understands that the global culture will swallow everything in its wake and there's nothing that can be done to stop this. What you also do not understand is that this mentality you have, this protectionism and conservatism is a social divider and as the world becomes one, all you're doing is delaying tolerance and acceptance for differences. Nationalistic pride is backwards and held by people who can't recognize the obvious truth. We are all one and the same, and only the petty, insecure, zealous and emotionally misadapted keep seperating and slowing down social cohesion on a global scale. Not only this, but Nationalism is one of the biggest problems we have in the evolution of our world in politics and economics.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Tell this to Tyler Toffoli. He sounds very horrified and repulsed by the evil French speaking culture this team has been carrying for over a century.

Oh yeah, most players and fans also chose to embrace it. It's what makes the Habs unique. It's the Habs contribution to diversity. No need to erase it.

Dude, try to upgrade your reading comprehension, because Tyler Toffoli is not a Quebecer. Star Quebecers don't want to play here because they don't want to become a lynchpin for your pride and everything that comes with it including the overbearing media.

Your mentality is exactly what creates the problem in the first place.

And another lazy strawman. Not a single one of us wants to erase it. It just doesn't belong to you or one creed. Selfish.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I understand wanting your adopted culture to thrive, just as I feel for your ancestor's plight as an oppressed people, I just do not understand how the cultural uniformity issue, especially in this case, is protecting the Quebecois culture and identity; I see it as just another way to promote bigotry instead of diversity...I'm very aware that the Anglo world that is the majority of North America is far from perfect and requires a lot of healing and understanding...I personally am of the mind that Diversity is the best way to begin that process and truly hope that the World my grandkids grow up in is a lot different (and much more diverse) than the one I grew up in...I'd even go almost as far as to say I pray for it, except for the fact that I'm an Atheist and that would just be weird...:)

The bolded, exactly.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

Fêtes-tu la Bastille aussi avec ça? How far do you want to go back to live in the past and justify this "language requirement" that keeps an incompetent, arrogant GM in his seat?? The 1700's or what?

C'est le temps de réaliser que la globalisation annule tout ça. Le Canada a beaucoup changé depuis 1993. Élargis tes horizons ou accepte qu'on est désavantagés par rapport au reste de la ligue. "TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT".

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Welcome to the woke cancel culture brought to you by the dishonest media .

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Hence the situation that none have come here, when they have the chance..........it's been this way for years. When Vinny chickened out as a ufa I knew we were doomed.
The media, taxes, weather, expectations, pressure, no privacy, the list goes on and on for players and theur families, not to mention the agents try to steer their clients to warm weather and tax friendly states.
I don't think it's a sign of things to come...................it's been happening.

Reactions: Habs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad