First Round Playoff Talk Thread: Islanders vs Penguins

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I do not see NYI winning this series. They've struggled down the stretch, the Pens have made adjustments to exploit them (especially in the neutral zone). The team can make a significant change in the next few days, but I'm skeptical; a team doesn't just turn on a switch IMHO.

The one area NYI could take advantage of is the Pens D and G. Their defense is a lot better than 2019, but that's not saying much. Jarry is as just a question mark as Murray.
Do you not think Trotz will be making adjustments?

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
So my question is what happens if a non vaccinated person puts their tickets for sale on Stub hub and it’s purchased by a vaccinated person or vice versa?

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
A little confused by the wording in the email. Does anyone know if it's 4 tickets total per game for the 1st Round, or just 4 tickets total that you are allowed to buy in any combo (i.e 2 Tix for Game 3 and 2 for Game 4)?

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
A little confused by the wording in the email. Does anyone know if it's 4 tickets total per game for the 1st Round, or just 4 tickets total that you are allowed to buy in any combo (i.e 2 Tix for Game 3 and 2 for Game 4)?

I had the same question a page back - it's 4 tickets total in any combo.

So my question is what happens if a non vaccinated person puts their tickets for sale on Stub hub and it’s purchased by a vaccinated person or vice versa?

It matters at the time of entry. No matter who buys, if the seat is for a vaccinated, this is what the Islanders require:

"Per New York State guidelines, ticketholders in Fully Vaccinated Sections must show proof of full vaccination to gain entry to the arena.
  • Full vaccination means your final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine must be administered at least 14 days before game day.
  • Each ticketholder will be required to present proof of full vaccination to gain entry. Proof of full vaccination can be provided through paper form, digital application or through the State's Excelsior Pass.
  • Ticketholders will be required to show either a government-issued or school-issued photo ID that matches the name on your proof of vaccination.
  • Children 16 years and under may sit in a Fully Vaccinated Section if the child is accompanied by a fully vaccinated parent or guardian, and the child presents a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours of game day or a negative COVID-19 rapid antigen test taken within 6 hours of the start of the game."
For sitting in the unvaccinated sections (designated as "Socially Distanced:")

"Per New York State guidelines, fans sitting in a Socially Distanced Section may present any one of the following to gain entry:
  • Proof of a negative COVID-19 rapid antigen test taken within 6 hours of the start of the game.
  • Proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours of game day.
  • Proof of full vaccination, which means your final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine has been administered at least 14 days before game day.
Guests will be required to show either a government-issued or school-issued photo ID that matches the name on your COVID-19 test results or proof of vaccination."

Yea alienating half your fan base probably not an ideal plan

Half the fanbase? You think so? They're prioritizing vaccinated already, by the way. The seats for nonvaccinated are more limited, and do I think it'll cut into demand as-is? No. Moot point though since we're not getting 100% probably til Fall maybe.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Between PIT WSH BOS NYI nothing would surprise me. I think they’re all capable of beating each other.

On the our isles I don’t think we’ve been consistent enough this year and the Pens have played us a lot better. My gut is telling me Pens get the W this year against us.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
The Isles have the best asset in the playoffs: Goaltending. The Isles tend to slow down the game in the playoffs, which reduces shots and shooting lanes and relies on opportunity across 4 lines. Not sexy, but it works and goaltending is usually the decider in playoff hockey historically.

The Pens have a lot of holes. They took advantage of worn down teams at the end of the season and really won on skill alone.

I hear you and agree, NYI have the advantage on D and G, and D and G tend to win playoff style hockey. That said, the Pens were able to cause disarray in the neutral and D zones for NYI; I see that continuing, just to a lesser extent. NYI's 2nd pairing isn't what it was the past two years, the Pens speed is among the best in the league, which enables them to slice through even the toughest lockdowns. They have scoring on every line, no longer top heavy as past iterations.

However, if the Pens D and G play poorly enough, NYI can win this series. I'm not so convinced.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I had the same question a page back - it's 4 tickets total in any combo.

It matters at the time of entry. No matter who buys, if the seat is for a vaccinated, this is what the Islanders require:

"Per New York State guidelines, ticketholders in Fully Vaccinated Sections must show proof of full vaccination to gain entry to the arena.
  • Full vaccination means your final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine must be administered at least 14 days before game day.
  • Each ticketholder will be required to present proof of full vaccination to gain entry. Proof of full vaccination can be provided through paper form, digital application or through the State's Excelsior Pass.
  • Ticketholders will be required to show either a government-issued or school-issued photo ID that matches the name on your proof of vaccination.
  • Children 16 years and under may sit in a Fully Vaccinated Section if the child is accompanied by a fully vaccinated parent or guardian, and the child presents a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours of game day or a negative COVID-19 rapid antigen test taken within 6 hours of the start of the game."
For sitting in the unvaccinated sections (designated as "Socially Distanced:")

"Per New York State guidelines, fans sitting in a Socially Distanced Section may present any one of the following to gain entry:
  • Proof of a negative COVID-19 rapid antigen test taken within 6 hours of the start of the game.
  • Proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours of game day.
  • Proof of full vaccination, which means your final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine has been administered at least 14 days before game day.
Guests will be required to show either a government-issued or school-issued photo ID that matches the name on your COVID-19 test results or proof of vaccination."

Half the fanbase? You think so? They're prioritizing vaccinated already, by the way. The seats for nonvaccinated are more limited, and do I think it'll cut into demand as-is? No. Moot point though since we're not getting 100% probably til Fall maybe.

So are tickets listed on StubHub going to list whether they are vaccinated or non-vaccinated seats? If not, I can see a lot of problems with entering the arena.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
  1. Sports franchise adhering to state protocols to try and keep human beings safe.
  2. Individuals refusing to get a vaccine (that protects others as much as themselves) because of any number of excuses.
Sorry if I line up behind group #1.
1 - sports franchises adhering to subjective state protocols to try and keep playing to earn the money from their tv contracts, pay their players, and keep the game relevant under the guise of ‘safe.’

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I mean if you really need to know, I need to work 2 out of 3 days this Friday-Sunday and with the nature of my job I can choose which two. I obviously would prefer to not miss the game. Does this make sense to you now?
I guess if it was 1996 with no DVR and only strictly scheduled recasts, it'd be understandable. But considering I live in Korea and watch 98% of the games on replay, I think you'll manage bro.

Reactions: PK Cronin

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I do not see Isles winning. However to have any chance, they need to stick to the following:

PB - play big, bigger than one can give, consistently with 2nd effort
SSSS - sound Skating, Smart puck and positioning decisions, Screen the goalies as much as you can, Surprise the goalies with shots or passes (like use the back board, wrap around, swung around shot, shoot when you catch goalie not watching)
NBD - Net presence, Battle hard, discipline (no selfish bad penalties such as retaliation, high sticking, charging, & tripping in the offensive zone, no overstaying shift)
CFD - Communication, focus, detail
QLC - Quick line change (do not get caught)
THTMP - take hits to make plays

Other factors will be include:
  • shoot the puck when opportunity present or at lease get to net, you can't win without scoring and you can't score unless you shoot the puck
  • do not lose defensive face-off cleanly, line up well on draws, and react quickly
  • look for open ice while on attack, if none then dump to corners for quick retrieval
  • make good passes to get out of D zone & avoid icing and turnovers
  • no passenger and avoid bad passes
  • check your equipment to ensure your play is not hampered by a bad stick and dull blades, make sure you use the right type of stick for each special situation (like PK and PP)
  • do not screen your own goalie or score into your own net
  • when blocking a shot, do it correctly to avoid both serious injuries or losing position
  • do not play the goalie unless he is not in position to stop the puck, better to take the men in front & tie up his stick instead puck fighting
  • minimize bad drop passes that can lead to quick transition for the other team

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Totally shocked that game 1 hasn't been announced yet.

It is another NHL embarrassment that they cannot announce the game one start date and time. You just known this fiasco which could have been decided on Monday or Tuesday will be 12pm or 3pm Sunday afternoon f-ing up everyone’s plans for the weekend. The only battle for positioning is Colorado-Vegas

Announce it already.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
So are tickets listed on StubHub going to list whether they are vaccinated or non-vaccinated seats? If not, I can see a lot of problems with entering the arena.

I bet they do. Kind of like how back in the BK days, the ticket description had to list if it was obstructed view, it will list if it’s a vaxxed vs non vaxxed ticket.

I hate all of this..:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad