WWE: First ever Hell in a cell match for the women. What should we expect?

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
They'll try to have it both ways by hyping up 'women in the cell!' but also make it very tame compared to the male cell matches, leaving no one truly satisfied

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't understand the argument that they haven't been hyping it as a main event. The hype has entirely been three main events and they're one of them. Logically and in terms of selling, you can close with them and not have the giving it away thing be a convincing criticism.

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
I'm really worried about Dominik here guys. It would be awful if Sasha lost custody of him to Charlotte.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Problem is, I could see them going into business for themselves and ignoring what Vince said.

Foley never told him what he was going to do in his HIAC with Taker.

I'm pretty sure he did. He also told Taker that he wanted to start on top. The throw off the top of the cell was planned, the chokeslam through the top wasn't -- it just gave out under their weight. Afterwards, Vince told Foley that was never happening again.

Off the top of my head the only toss off the top of a Cell after that was when Taker chokeslammed Rikishi off the edge of the cell but onto a truck with a huge mattress under a bunch of whatever that crap was that was on it.

I'm pretty sure if Charlotte and Sasha tried going up top without Vince's approval, a **** ton of officials would get involved and they would be in such a huge amount of trouble.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Mini-rant here, but the women, notably those of the "revolution" on the Raw brand, especially Sasha who talks about it a lot in outside interviews, has claimed that when they remove the "women's wrestling" tag and they main event, they'll be on the level of the top stars. But it seems like her "mark-ness"/"fandom" is getting in the way of her realizing this is a business and unless you're drawing the money the top stars draw, you are not on that level. There are women draws, Ronda Rousey has proven that... but I don't see that quality in any of these women except maybe Bayley, but even she's become a caricature of her NXT character.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Problem is, I could see them going into business for themselves and ignoring what Vince said.

Foley never told him what he was going to do in his HIAC with Taker.
This isn't 1998 though. If they work a spot that Vince didn't clear and one of them gets hurt, both of them will get buried. They were already not happy with Charlotte after Summerslam, so she's not going to do anything stupid.

Mini-rant here, but the women, notably those of the "revolution" on the Raw brand, especially Sasha who talks about it a lot in outside interviews, has claimed that when they remove the "women's wrestling" tag and they main event, they'll be on the level of the top stars. But it seems like her "mark-ness"/"fandom" is getting in the way of her realizing this is a business and unless you're drawing the money the top stars draw, you are not on that level. There are women draws, Ronda Rousey has proven that... but I don't see that quality in any of these women except maybe Bayley, but even she's become a caricature of her NXT character.

I don't know if you said it to me once a few weeks ago, or Kimi. It might've been Kimi. But wrestlers' biggest marks tend to be themselves. Becky Lynch said in an interview that the Four Horsewomen are going to main event Wrestlemania one day. Sasha guaranteed that she and Bayley would do it. It seems over the top, but that's what I want them to try and accomplish. They should have those goals for themselves. Stephanie McMahon came out on TV and was talking about Serena Williams and women's empowerment and "taking over" in the sports world and whatnot. That should be the mark they have for themselves, or else what are we doing here with the women? they could be back to parading out more Eve Torres' if they didn't want women who would push the envelope, become a draw, and make them money.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Well that was a huge disappointment. Sloppy wresling, no blood and no big spots. :(

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I don't know why anyone would have expected anything else. I thought those people were joking.

Well there was a lot of buzz about it being the first hell in a cell for women and the fact that they were going to main event, so many of us kind of expected "something" to make the match "special". WWE have been making a big deal of the women's revolution. But they still refuse them the chance to go out and wrestle to impress us.

It started out great with Charlotte attacking Sasha while the cell was comming down. And the crowd went crazy when both of them started climbing the cell. But it all went down hill after Sasha went through the announcer's table...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It not being special though is the issue imo. Someone's going to have to go through the top of the cell one day

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I thought the match was pretty good, crowd was into it, until the terrible finish.

Had an announce table spot, match was physical, just because she (Sasha) didn't get thrown through the table at the end didn't make it less brutal. Charlotte basically rag dolled her on to a table twice then hit her finisher after a match that worked Sashas back.

Sure the moment would have been more impactful if the table gave out but it still looked rough.

Its who won that is weird, Sasha has barely even held the title a month and it gets taken from her again and back on Charlotte. This is weird 50/50 booking. The title needs to be more protected right now.

It not being special though is the issue imo. Someone's going to have to go through the top of the cell one day

For PG HiaC matches the Rusev/Roman was alright, same with Owens/Rollins and Sasha/Charlotte. We won't see any cell drops or anything really violent anymore. I actually hate it when steel chairs are brought in because the hits on the back are just so lame

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I thought the match was pretty good, crowd was into it, until the terrible finish.

Had an announce table spot, match was physical, just because she (Sasha) didn't get thrown through the table at the end didn't make it less brutal. Charlotte basically rag dolled her on to a table twice then hit her finisher after a match that worked Sashas back.

Sure the moment would have been more impactful if the table gave out but it still looked rough.

Its who won that is weird, Sasha has barely even held the title a month and it gets taken from her again and back on Charlotte. This is weird 50/50 booking. The title needs to be more protected right now.

For PG HiaC matches the Rusev/Roman was alright, same with Owens/Rollins and Sasha/Charlotte. We won't see any cell drops or anything really violent anymore. I actually hate it when steel chairs are brought in because the hits on the back are just so lame

Less than a month. Both of Sasha's reigns were exactly 27 days

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If they had made the finish Sasha doing the Frog Splash on Charlotte through a table, that would've made that match spectacular even w/o blood. I think it's weird that they had Sasha take the table spot outside but they didn't audible after Charlotte's little flop into the table on the outside didn't work. Charlotte needed to go through a devastating big spot and it didn't really happen.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I got to say I loved the match. It was brutal, the story was awesome, the acting was fantastic, there were some spectacular spots... the best match of the event by far for me.

I couldn't watch it live and when I got to watch it I already knew the result. Maybe that's part of the reason why I have a more positive opinion on the match than most posters here seem to have. On the other hand I was rooting for Charlotte anyway.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
My question is why would anyone expect blood in this WWE? You're just setting your own self up for disappointment by doing that.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
tumblr_ofwhxw8wF01vdm64to9_r1_250.gif

tumblr_ofwhxw8wF01vdm64to10_r2_250.gif

tumblr_ofwhxw8wF01vdm64to2_r1_250.gif

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I loved the chair/figure 8 spot to be honest.

It was good because Sasha didn't get out of it clean, so it didn't bury the move. Sasha already hulked up just to start the match.

Finally heard to the post-ppv observer and Dave did a good job explaining things that made the match go flat in that some of the spots were already done earlier in the match. He called it bad agenting. They still had good spots though on their own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad