First 8 seasons: Jagr vs Crosby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I think context is needed in these discussions except the OP wants to focus on numbers only. And numbers only, it's Crosby.

That being said, do you think that Jagr could have put up the second best 18 year old season in NHL history or put up historic numbers in his second year like Crosby?

Could Crosby have won the Art Ross running away two of the past three years if not for injuries?

Answer to your first question is no. I don't think Jagr could have put forth the same 18-year rookie season Crosby did. There is effectively one player in the history of this sport who could match up with that season. But he played in different league.

Second question is not as important. I am well aware of the exploits of Crosby in the past few years. The question right now isn't if he would have won the scoring race without injuries.

The real question is: how much value does Crosby's partial, albeit offensively superior, seasons account for. Nobody here is stupid. We know Crosby was the easy PPG leader in those seasons. We are just trying to put the right value to go along those seasons. Just like you see, it's not an easy thing to do.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Answer to your first question is no. I don't think Jagr could have put forth the same 18-year rookie season Crosby did. There is effectively one player in the history of this sport who could match up with that season. But he played in different league.

Second question is not as important. I am well aware of the exploits of Crosby in the past few years. The question right now isn't if he would have won the scoring race without injuries.

The real question is: how much value does Crosby's partial, albeit offensively superior, seasons account for. Nobody here is stupid. We know Crosby was the easy PPG leader in those seasons. We are just trying to put the right value to go along those seasons. Just like you see, it's not an easy thing to do.

I've never suggested using this as a variable in the comparison. Per game impact it's Crosby. You want to even things out with the injury angle, fine.

IMO, if Crosby puts up a dominant PPG this year and plays 70+ games, the injury card gets put away.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I've never suggested using this as a variable in the comparison. Per game impact it's Crosby. You want to even things out with the injury angle, fine.

IMO, if Crosby puts up a dominant PPG this year and plays 70+ games, the injury card gets put away.

Nope, the injury card never goes away. Cause Crosby did actually miss those games. He will never get back those missed minutes/points.

If you are saying that per game impact Crosby is superior and in the same time you are acknowledging Jagr's superiority in durability, then what are we arguing here?

I accept that you think it is close between these two. I actually pick Crosby now. (Not sure which one is my pick tomorrow)

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Just like Jagr could have produced better in his first 3 years if he got more minutes, wasn't European etc..but didn't.

OK then. Let us completely leave out Crosby's PPG and Jagr's problems with Euro/US?

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
For any game that has a recap on NHL.com, there's a 3 stars section. While game results are listed as far back as '97/98 or something, I think the recap/boxscores are only available right now from about '99/00 onward. I can tell you that Thornton, Laaksonen, and Heinze were the three stars in Pittsburgh's last game of the '99/00 season against Boston.

Also with the number of "zero" point games for Jagr, it's not hard to go back and take an educated guess in the game summaries for Jagr to see his 3 star selections would be much lower.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Funny, but no one is holding up Jagr's first three seasons as "could haves". On the other hand, every case being made for the Crosby's last three seasons are built on a mountain of "could haves".

I haven't been using "what if" scenarios in the comparison. Most posters agree that Crosby was better on a per game basis over the 8 years.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I haven't been using "what if" scenarios in the comparison. Most posters agree that Crosby was better on a per game basis over the 8 years.

True. You have just been using Lemieux's 7th place in career points to make a point about how Crosby should be ahead of Jagr in their first 8 years. :laugh:

BudMovin*

A PER game basis. Crosby only plays about 75% of a season. Is he 20% more dominant than Jagr? Would you rather have 78 games a year of Jagr or 60 of Sid?

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
I think context is needed in these discussions except the OP wants to focus on numbers only. And numbers only, it's Crosby.

That being said, do you think that Jagr could have put up the second best 18 year old season in NHL history or put up historic numbers in his second year like Crosby?

Could Crosby have won the Art Ross running away two of the past three years if not for injuries?

These are two questions that cannot be answered because we don't know.

If Jagr was given 1st line minutes (rather than 3rd and 4th lines duties), I can assure you though that he was putting up a lot more than 57 Pts that's for sure.

Does Crosby win the Art Ross trophy in 2 of the past 3 seasons, possibly.

As for calling Crosby's season as an 18 year old the second best season ever by an 18 year old is also not cut and dry. Lemieux among others also had an impressive run as an 18 year old so did Hawerchuk.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Change "impossible to verify or refute" to "incredibly time consuming and not really worth the effort."

Well, I think it's rubbish to say that Crosby entered the league as a good defensive player who was any better without the puck than those two. He developed his defensive game sometime between his actual Hart season in 2006-07 and the season when he should have won in 2009-10.

Maybe he just got lucky, or at least he wasn't bad defensively as an 18 year old but his -1 in his rookie season is pretty darn good for a guy who played over 20 MPG and would ahve been the focus of the opposition as he was the best scorer on that team by 44 points.

His plus/minus lead on Malkin by 14 in the playoffs may also simply be luck or variance.

He also has a 107-48 lead in regular season plus/minus from 07 onwards covering both of their time in the league.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=points

For his career it appears that Sid has been better defensively by most metrics.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
He was PPG his 2nd year and had 94 points in his 3rd year.

Exactly and the trend with Jagr in his first 8 seasons was, the more minutes and offensive responsibilities he got, the more his production increased. Isn't that ironic?:sarcasm:

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
What do you mean leave out Crosby's PPG? Why isn't it relevant? Don't make me go to Mario again.

saintpatrick said to you that could haves are irrelevant. The things you did only matter. Remember what you response to it was?

"Just like Jagr could have produced better in his first 3 years if he got more minutes, wasn't European etc..but didn't."

Now, if Jagr adapting in the NHL doesn't matter, why should Crosby's projected point finishes matter? Just saying.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
saintpatrick said to you that could haves are irrelevant. The things you did only matter. Remember what you response to it was?

"Just like Jagr could have produced better in his first 3 years if he got more minutes, wasn't European etc..but didn't."

Now, if Jagr adapting in the NHL doesn't matter, why should Crosby's projected point finishes matter? Just saying.

Both of those were contexts that, IMO, should be included in the discussion but the OP wanted to focus on numbers only.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Both players had superior per game performances, right?

Mario produced better than the other guys I mentioned when he wasn't injured.

Crosby produced better than Jagr when he wasn't injured.

I don't see a difference.

Wasn't last year a monster season for Crosby despite his injury?

Actually there is quite a difference between Mario and Sid.

Sid plays a 2 way game while Mario had to put up video game numbers to avoid being a liability at ES.

BudMovin*

Actually there is quite a difference between Mario and Sid.

Sid plays a 2 way game while Mario had to put up video game numbers to avoid being a liability at ES.

Mario is 4th all-time in short-handed goals. Not saying he was amazing defensively, but he wasn't Ovi bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad