OT: Fireworks/Firecrackers in Vancouver on halloween

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I live in Mt. Pleasant and every Halloween there is a constant barrage of firecrackers from around 730 to midnight. Not just a few bangs every couple of minutes but a sustained barrage of explosions,as if you are in a war zone. It's annoying.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I live in Mount Pleasant and every Halloween there is a constant barrage of firecrackers from about 7:30 to midnight, and it's so cool, especially if you're lucky enough to live near a park where most of them get set off. Such a fun tradition that many locals don't even seem to understand how unique and special it is, and I'll be sad to lose it.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
I was really surprised by the power some were packing yesterday.

you get the regular air bombs which give a decent boom.

this stuff sounded way more powerful. some good shit was in use in my neighborhood at least.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I find it more annoying that people with pets complain about fireworks. I care about your pet about as much as your pet cares about me... I have never had to scrape fireworks off my shoe, or had fireworks run straight at my kids while walking on the sidewalk.

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019
after going on a massive tangent about the rudeness of fireworks (around 3:30-3:40pm this afternoon)

Sekeres then rattle off an add for pollock clinics for vasectomies and limp-dick cures

The demographic he's pandering to is like 55+ year olds

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I don't live in the city but I definitely could do without given with how much it traumatizes my dog every year.

Also who cares that he's a transplant from another province. He's been here for 12 years. At what point do we stop holding that over his head or people in similar situations?

if you ask a texan that question the answer is, unto the third generation.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Really weird. Since I moved from the burbs to a louder main street I don't notice these at all now. I thought this year seemed very quiet.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Really weird. Since I moved from the burbs to a louder main street I don't notice these at all now. I thought this year seemed very quiet.
Yeah it seems to be getting quieter every year. Less decorated houses too. I’m in my early 20’s so its weird to sound like an old man but kids these days missed out. I drive by the neighbourhood I grew up in and it went from having 90% of the houses decorated 10 years ago to less than half now.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Puckinator

Jul 7, 2008
Living in Kelowna we don’t get to blow up fireworks on Halloween due to the wildfire risk...but they were the best part of the holiday growing up on the coast.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I'm 21 - all my friends do it - I find it annoying. I don't think it's an old man yells at cloud thing. I just don't understand the point of setting them off at 10pm on a weeknight.
If you do fireworks after the age of 16 you’re probably still a virgin.

Reactions: Peen

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Buddy of mine had a Roman candle blow up in his hand when we were kids. Also had an air bomb hit him in the eye. He stays away from fireworks now.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
In my day we were all about the screecher bombs. May have different names, but those 2-3 inch guys that look like a big fire cracker but you light them and they just fly around randomly making a lot of noise. Well if you take off the paper, wrap it in tape, then pound it down a little with a hammer, they do turn into very big firecrackers.

Although in my case as a teenager we had a family drilling & blasting company up in Northern BC so I got to work with industrial grade explosives and blow real shit up. If you want to literally blow your hand off you need to start with one of these:

blasting_caps-300x229.jpg

:sarcasm:

And a bit safer a proper bear banger puts your typical Halloween 'bottle rocket' to shame.

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
As someone who lived in the suburbs for most of his adult life (Delta, specifically) and who has since moved away, and as someone who lived near a field where people were popping off fireworks on Halloween, I'm definitely glad I don't have to deal with it anymore in terms of trying to get sleep on Halloween night, and subsequent nights with kids trying to burn off their supply.

Nonetheless, I don't have too much of an opinion on it now that I'm removed from it, and it is weird telling people around where I am now that this was indeed a 'tradition' in Vancouver, and seemingly confined to only the GVRD.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
...the exclusively Vancouver tradition of firework show on halloween.

???

all five cities i’ve lived in on this continent have had kids shooting roman candles at each other on hallowe’en.

idk, not that i didn’t when i was a 15 too but as an adult knowing how it terrorizes dogs, it just seems unnecessary. and my cat dgaf but if you’v ever lived in a building with dogs, those dogs all simultaneously lose it and freak the f out all night, which on top of just seeming inhumane also is way more annoying to have to hear than the fire crackers themselves.

Reactions: rypper and wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I find it more annoying that people with pets complain about fireworks. I care about your pet about as much as your pet cares about me... I have never had to scrape fireworks off my shoe, or had fireworks run straight at my kids while walking on the sidewalk.

You must be a cat guy............

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad