OT: Fireworks/Firecrackers in Vancouver on halloween

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
i don’t understand why Matt Sekeres is being so against the exclusively Vancouver tradition of firework show on halloween.

He’s a Ontario transplant trying his best not to assimilate with what vancouverites consider a sacred tradition.

Local sports announcers should have no business going against the local masses in this regard

Is he complaining like a 80 year cause his kids are not able to go to sleep due to the noise of Roman candles and Tom Thumb firecrackers?

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005
For the record, it’s a tradition in other parts of BC as well. Firecrackers on Halloween were definitely a thing on the island, where I grew up.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
He's trying to pander to the average demographic listening to sports AM radio. My boss has been bitching about last nights fireworks all day.

This City has way bigger issues than 16 year olds lighting fireworks.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
not gonna lie it was annoying me a bit last night too but i used to do it as a kid so i cant complain

Reactions: Get North

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
One day a year, it's not a big deal. Think it's actually decreasing from prior years.

Used to be that the few days leading up to Hallowe'en you could hear firecrackers going off from 7pm - 10pm on and off. That didn't happen this year.

Think teens are opting not to spend their money on that stuff anymore. But, that's just my guess based on my area and how few firecrackers went off in the past 72 hours.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
for those who are young, halloween fireworks today comes from guy fawkes day fireworks that used to happen a few day later. that's why fireworks were always for sale around halloween. eventually, the two things merged and guy fawkes got forgotten.

guy fawkes is a long british tradition whereas the british did not celebrate halloween with costumes or candy until the 1990s.

Reactions: lindgren

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
so it's for a good cause. all those kids firing off roman candles are memorializing the time britain hanged guy at the stake for trying to blow up parliament and restore an absolute monarchy.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Actual nice fireworks are cool. Used to love spending every Canada day standing on top of my house looking off at them.

The flocks of suburban white kids lighting off firecrackers never really had an appeal to me.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
can you get real firecrackers in vancouver anymore? when i was kid, those bricks were serious business.

Legally? I’m not sure, I think they made bottle rockets and Roman candles illegal. Really strong firecrackers like M80s were definitely illegal when I was in high school but we all had them anyway.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Actual nice fireworks are cool. Used to love spending every Canada day standing on top of my house looking off at them.

The flocks of suburban white kids lighting off firecrackers never really had an appeal to me.

i'm long before your time i suspect. i lived in town and we were not exactly a flock of white kids but we lit off lots of fireworks.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
for those who are young, halloween fireworks today comes from guy fawkes day fireworks that used to happen a few day later. that's why fireworks were always for sale around halloween. eventually, the two things merged and guy fawkes got forgotten.

guy fawkes is a long british tradition whereas the british did not celebrate halloween with costumes or candy until the 1990s.
Neighbours would always just burn a man at the stake, was only noisy for a few minutes vs all night

Crazy traditions these days keeping all the people awake

wreckless

Apr 27, 2010
vancouver
Sekeres used to be one of the few reasons to listen to 1040.. he's def starting to get tiresome..

Sekeres is stale and will only get more miserable as he ages.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
My best friend used to get bricks in the states and sold them to our entire school. The neighborhood streets were littered with red wrappers. Absolutely littered like a confetti parade. I can see why people get upset about the noise at 2 am but it's nothing like I remember.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I don't live in the city but I definitely could do without given with how much it traumatizes my dog every year.

Also who cares that he's a transplant from another province. He's been here for 12 years. At what point do we stop holding that over his head or people in similar situations?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I'm 21 - all my friends do it - I find it annoying. I don't think it's an old man yells at cloud thing. I just don't understand the point of setting them off at 10pm on a weeknight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad