#FIRECHIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Between 08-09 and until he finally lost his starter job, MAF had a playoff SV% below .900. There's a reason why Pittsburgh cut him loose despite being a beloved teammate and fan favourite. He's a mediocre to average goalie having a hot streak.

Not really. He's always been incredibly talented with mental focus issues and needing work on cleaning up his form. He's been steadily fixing those problems over the past few years, and last playoffs showed that he was as good as he's been this year until he got concussed. He stole that series from Washington last year. They moved on because Murray is younger and cheaper and a choice had to be made, not because Fleury was bad.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Talbot was the bigger reason, especially as far as making the playoffs goes. When he faltered it's no surprise the Oilers went with him.

I'm not sure it's fair to put him slipping as the reason for the Oilers set-back. They were crap out of the gate and that wasn't down to him. Sekera being out, Klefbom-Larsson failing to cover for that and struggling from the start, the Oilers secondary scoring being significantly worse, McDavid was half-dead in November, tick-tack injuries were piling up, and the special teams was historically bad. All of that contributed to everyones struggles, including Cam Talbot's. After all, only like 4 players on that team can say they had a better than typical year for them (McDavid, RNH, Nurse and Khaira) and that's not normal, even on a bad team.

That's my take, anyway. A rising tide floats all boats, a parted sea shipwrecks everyone. Goalies aren't immune.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
The problem with Chia defenders is if you raise a valid point like... Chia knew sekera was going to be missing the first half of the season and klefbom was injured... He did nothing.

Chia defenders then counter to a relevant point like that ...." But look at the defense he made in Boston" .... "Here is the oilers defense in 2012" .

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The problem with Chia defenders is if you raise a valid point like... Chia knew sekera was going to be missing the first half of the season and klefbom was injured... He did nothing.

Chia defenders then counter to a relevant point like that ...." But look at the defense he made in Boston" .... "Here is the oilers defense in 2012" .
It goes both ways, theres also chia attackers who make stuff up to try and make him sound worse, he's done enough shitty stuff you shouldn't need to make stuff up.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Why come maple laughs get new GM and made playoffs and we totally fail and keep everyone? ughhh next season is going to suck so so so hard.
Cause Lou was only going to be the GM for 3 years, that's always been the plan there, is that so hard to understand for some people?

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Really? Any examples of that?

In response to your first point did Chia really know that Klefa was hurt? I was always under the impression that Chia went into camp thinking/hoping he could count on Klefa being a top pairing guy in the season like he was in the playoffs. Do we know when Klefa got hurt?

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
People in here are putting too much marbles in the Klefbom basket. Whether he was hurt or not 50 % of boneheaded defensive lapses and dumb plays by him were strictly in between his ears and not his physical limitation. Klefbom is a 30 point defenseman with glaring holes. Guys like him dont play in your top 4 if you want to make cup runs.

Reactions: harpoon

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Klefbom is a 30 point defenseman with glaring holes. Guys like him dont play in your top 4 if you want to make cup runs.

Wow.

Klefa had a poor 2017-18 and sure that guy doesn't play in your top four.

2016-17 Klefa is an absolute top four guy and played like a stud in the playoffs.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Please dont allow chiarelli to trade with Dubas. Chiarelli is not qualified to do so

A GM with eight playoff appearances, two conference championships and a Stanley Cup ring isn't 'qualified' to trade with a 32-year-old quant guy with exactly one day of experience as an NHL general manager?

The criticisms of Peter Chiarelli continue to be rational and measured I see. :eek:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
People in here are putting too much marbles in the Klefbom basket. Whether he was hurt or not 50 % of boneheaded defensive lapses and dumb plays by him were strictly in between his ears and not his physical limitation. Klefbom is a 30 point defenseman with glaring holes. Guys like him dont play in your top 4 if you want to make cup runs.

Gotta love hot takes like this.

Justin Schultz (who looked far worse here than Klefbom has ever done) just won a Cup last year as a top4 D on the Pittsburgh Penguins.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
A GM with eight playoff appearances, two conference championships and a Stanley Cup ring isn't 'qualified' to trade with a 32-year-old quant guy with exactly one day of experience as an NHL general manager?

The criticisms of Peter Chiarelli continue to be rational and measured I see. :eek:

All that experience means shit when you look at the trades he's done.
Chiarelli sucks at trading he shouldn't be allowed to trade with anyone in the league

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
All that experience means **** when you look at the trades he's done.
Chiarelli sucks at trading he shouldn't be allowed to trade with anyone in the league

So it's got nothing to do with Dubas? Just hatred for Chiarelli. Got it.

He is the GM for the off-season for sure. Bobby Nicks said as much. So do you think the team shouldn't make any trades before the season starts?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I'm not sure who the "chia defenders" are, but I suppose I am one of them compared to most people in this thread. I am a defender in that I answer the unfair criticisms (well, what I see as unfair anyway).

But from day 1 of the season and ever since, I have criticized Chiarelli for not bringing in another defenseman at the start of the season, and even as the first weeks went on, I thought he must be just about to find someone. Normally, I sympathize with GMs, since it is not like the players you need are at a store. You need a partner. Except... we had the next best thing to a store: an overstocked expansion team that was throwing decent depth Dmen away for marginal picks, and us sitting there with cap space to burn (and those Dmen being 1-year rentals, so no risk).

It's more striking when you think of how much worse we could have been if Nurse hadn't taken a step forward in development. I suppose that no one could have predicted how bad Klefbom and Larsson would be, but even then I fail to see why we would not grab some insurance from Vegas. Imo this was Chiarelli's worst issue this season.

Reactions: BudBundy and shoop

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
It's more striking when you think of how much worse we could have been if Nurse hadn't taken a step forward in development. I suppose that no one could have predicted how bad Klefbom and Larsson would be, but even then I fail to see why we would not grab some insurance from Vegas. Imo this was Chiarelli's worst issue this season.

Agreed that Chia's biggest mistake was on defence.

The two unknowns with Klefa and Larsson are when did they get hurt and when did the team know they were hurt?

With a healthy top pairing the defence would have been passable. We'll never know how much of Talbot's bad play was on him and how much was on the defence.

Klefa/Larsson and Nurse/Russell is a good enough top four to make the playoffs when all are healthy.

Throw a healthy Sekera into the mix and that's a team that can win a round or two.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Gotta love hot takes like this.

Justin Schultz (who looked far worse here than Klefbom has ever done) just won a Cup last year as a top4 D on the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Schultz has a higher hockey IQ and is surrounded by a team that props him up. No one said Schultz was a superstar but offensively he is better then Klefbom and both have thier mental defensive lapses. So what's your point.... I just claimed Klefbom is not a top 4 on a cup winning team in Edmonton. I stand by that claim. We only have 1 legit top pairing guy. Larsson.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Schultz has a higher hockey IQ

Lol, based on what exactly? He looked the opposite of smart in his time here and when paired with Klefbom it was clearly Klefbom who carried that pairing.

and is surrounded by a team that props him up.

So? You said on a Cup winning team. Pens is a Cup winning team.

No one said Schultz was a superstar but offensively he is better then Klefbom and both have thier mental defensive lapses. So what's your point....

My point was pretty clear. If Schultz can be a top4 d on a Cup winning team, so can Klefbom.

I just claimed Klefbom is not a top 4 on a cup winning team in Edmonton. I stand by that claim. We only have 1 legit top pairing guy. Larsson.

No, you said on a Cup winning team. You didn't specify in Edmonton, and frankly specifiying it to Edmonton makes no sense if your claim is "Cup winning team".

Reactions: shoop

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
So it's got nothing to do with Dubas? Just hatred for Chiarelli. Got it.

He is the GM for the off-season for sure. Bobby Nicks said as much. So do you think the team shouldn't make any trades before the season starts?

Nah just assessing an individuals body of work. Sorry if you think that's too mean.

If Chiarelli is in charge of trades I absolutely do NOT think we should make any trades. Unless it involves our lower level chips.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Nah just assessing an individuals body of work. Sorry if you think that's too mean.

If Chiarelli is in charge of trades I absolutely do NOT think we should make any trades. Unless it involves our lower level chips.

Not mean, just unrealistic. He's the GM. Senior management of the team have given him another year to run the team. What do you gain by saying he shouldn't be able to run the team? i.e. make trades.

That's essentially hoping that the team fails this season because of your 'assessment ' of his body of work.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Not mean, just unrealistic. He's the GM. Senior management of the team have given him another year to run the team. What do you gain by saying he shouldn't be able to run the team? i.e. make trades.

That's essentially hoping that the team fails this season because of your 'assessment ' of his body of work.

So making big trades and UFA signings are the only way to success?
Ok

If we fail it is on the man in charge of building the team as you so stated .

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Like it or not, this off-season and some of the season are going to be Peter Chiarelli's to run.

You hope that his last year taught him a valuable lesson. He recognized a lot of the issues that the Oilers could and did wind up facing in his pre-season interview with Bob McKenzie last September, so it wasn't his perception that was off, it was his actions. He saw problems that could come up and chose not to address them and instead hoped for the best. As horrible as some of the trades he has made are, it was his inaction last summer that hurt the Oilers most in 17-18.

And RE: The Klefbom is not a top-4 talk. That's absolutely ridiculous.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Does bringing in a Cody Franson type stop gap turn this into a playoff team?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Your reading way more into the quote then I did.
There’s nothing to read into. He literally said he had no interest in having a dialogue with the coaches here. If that isn’t a huge problem I don’t know what is.

Reactions: shoop
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad