#firebenning: The Movement Has Gone Mainstream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Lol Gillis was the one who hired brackett in the first place. Without Gillis Canucks would never have drafted boeser and pettersson.

Thank God at least we had one gm capable of hiring a good amateur scout. Who did Benning hire? A security guard.
Nonsense..Brackett was a US college scout when hired by Gillis.

Let’s not get started on what Gillis inherited when he got hired.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
He should go be a scout somewhere else then.

Team is going nowhere when we have nobody to build around these Calder finalists, unless you think this is like basketball where 1 or 2 players can carry the entire team.
Horvat
Pettersson
Boeser
Hughes
Markstrom (Demko)

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Nonsense..Brackett was a US college scout when hired by Gillis.

Let’s not get started on what Gillis inherited when he got hired.

Stan Smyl and Ron Delorme?

Also:

Eichel > Pettersson
Reinhart < Horvat
Skinner = Boeser
Dahlin >> Hughes
Hutton < Markstrom

How's that team doing?

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Horvat
Pettersson
Boeser
Hughes
Markstrom (Demko)
Horvat and Markstrom were Gillis acquisitions.

Hughes has played 3 games (1 in progress).

Demko is a goalie and his peak will be relatively unknown until he reaches goalie prime age (usually around 25ish).

Boeser is projecting to be a 30~ goal scorer.

Pettersson is projecting to be a ppg #1 centre.

Boeser and Pettersson are the best pieces by far in that list of Benning acquisitions. What has Benning brought in around them that are effective pieces going forward in the long term? Stecher I'll give you. Who else?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I like that this is somehow supposed to forward your argument that Benning inherited nothing.
He certainly didn’t inherit an elite core on the cusp of contending did he..?

A 19 year Horvat and a goalie that took 5 years to develop and play elite hockey at 29.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Barry Hanrahan has been their cap guy and been an assistant GM in Philly since 05-06, being promoted from special assistant to the GM which is a job he held from 97-98. He's a Philly lifer

Well I’m that case I agree that bringing in a salary cap / contract guy would be a better option than Ferraro if Hextall were to get the job.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Who’s the Sabres goalie?..who’s the Oilers goalie?..Makes a difference.

So you believe the difference maker that will improve the fortunes of Benning's five years of work compared to the Oilers or Sabres is the goalie that he inherited, but also that Benning inherited nothing of value?

Reactions: vancityluongo

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Horvat and Markstrom were Gillis acquisitions.

Hughes has played 3 games (1 in progress).

Demko is a goalie and his peak will be relatively unknown until he reaches goalie prime age (usually around 25ish).

Boeser is projecting to be a 30~ goal scorer.

Pettersson is projecting to be a ppg #1 centre.

Boeser and Pettersson are the best pieces by far in that list of Benning acquisitions. What has Benning brought in around them that are effective pieces going forward in the long term? Stecher I'll give you. Who else?
I guess you didn’t actually watch Hughes play?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
So, just to summarize POM's position:

After five years under Benning, including the four highest picks the team has had this century, the team has five pieces that are cause to believe that they will make a ton of noise going forward. Two are made up of 2/4 of those aforementioned picks. One is Boeser. The other two were here when Benning took over.

This from POM, so it's guaranteed to be the bluest, sunniest sky view of the job that Benning has done, and that's all we've got. The guy has apparently acquired nothing worth noting outside of the first round. Nothing good enough to mention via free agency. Nothing positive worth writing home about via trade. 40% of the players listed weren't even his acquisitions. That's it. Five years.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
So you believe the difference maker that will improve the fortunes of Benning's five years of work compared to the Oilers or Sabres is the goalie that he inherited, but also that Benning inherited nothing of value?
And Benning developed..possibly.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
So, just to summarize POM's position:

After five years under Benning, including the four highest picks the team has had this century, the team has five pieces that are cause to believe that they will make a ton of noise going forward. Two are made up of 2/4 of those aforementioned picks. One is Boeser. The other two were here when Benning took over.

This from POM, so it's guaranteed to be the bluest, sunniest sky view of the job that Benning has done, and that's all we've got. The guy has apparently acquired nothing worth noting outside of the first round. Nothing good enough to mention via free agency. Nothing positive worth writing home about via trade. 40% of the players listed weren't even his acquisitions. That's it. Five years.

I think you knew before you posted that POM has seldom argued Benning's tenure in a genuine fashion.

You're not going to get anywhere isolating and picking apart his dubious rationale.

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I think you knew before you posted that POM has seldom argued Benning's tenure in a genuine fashion.

You're not going to get anywhere isolating and picking apart his dubious rationale.

That's the whole point. When this is all that even the most dedicated, disingenuous booster club devotee can come up with, it's a pretty heavy indictment of Benning's work here.

Reactions: Luckylarry
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad