#firebenning: The Movement Has Gone Mainstream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I suppose I got this a bit confused: Brian Burke doesn’t plan to be patient with Calgary Flames

Burke had no interest in being the general manager of that team. This was a time when the President and General Manager roles were usually done by the same person, otherwise the President was very seldom involved in hockey decisions.

I suppose, I just don't see why Lombardi would come here just to keep Jim Benning. It's also been reported that Aquilini is doing an audit of Benning's transactions, and after being the worst team in the league over a 4 year period despite trying to make the playoffs I can't see how anyone could come to the conclusion that he's done a good job and deserves to stay here.

I stand by my intuition. IF Dean Lombardi is hired, Benning is out the door very shortly after. And I would fully expect Ron Hextall to follow Lombardi.

Hopin" your intuition is on point y2k

Reactions: y2kcanucks

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
The things Ferraro says make sense, so I would be okay with it from that perspective, but I would want someone in here who is well versed on the CBA like Gilman is. Also someone who is well versed in analytics. I don't think Ferraro fits either of those roles.

Did Hextall have someone in Philly who was well versed on the CBA as his assistant?

Just curious because he seemed to have a pretty good grasp on it during his time in Philly.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Did Hextall have someone in Philly who was well versed on the CBA as his assistant?

Just curious because he seemed to have a pretty good grasp on it during his time in Philly.

Barry Hanrahan has been their cap guy and been an assistant GM in Philly since 05-06, being promoted from special assistant to the GM which is a job he held from 97-98. He's a Philly lifer

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
What would be the rush to sign the Canucks offers? Yes, I get he wants to be here, but if they're lowballing, there is no incentive to sign anything now. The difference in the offer could be $15m from Vancouver where another team was offering $30m.

I think Edler's camp has leverage, because it'll look bad if they just let him leave for nothing, and the closer they get to the window where other teams can show their interest , the more leverage they have.

I think the ?Canucks arewaiting to see if they can get
EK. If they can get EK, then it’s bye bye to Edler. If they can’t get EK then I think the Canucks will reup with
Edler, but not if he wants a deal that means he has to be protected for Seattle expansion. He k, maybe the Seattle protection is all that’s holding up his signing?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You are aware that NHL teams employ an entire army of amateur scouts whose entire responsibility is to scout for the upcoming draft right? If we had anyone else as GM, and they simply let brackett run the draft we would still have boeser and pettersson.
..and who was it that promoted Brackett to DOS,and implemented a new procedure for identifying players?

Gillis just let his scouts take care of business..look what happened?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You could have given a 10 year old a copy of the THN Draft Preview and let him run the draft and he’d have some home runs too, with those picks.

Completely meaningless. Especially since Benning didn’t want Pettersson.
Peddling more baseless rumors again I see..

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
All the reports I ever saw were that Lombardi was being courted for the President's job, not the GM.

Benning is, unfortunately, not being fired this season. Or offseason. Unless he eggs Aqualini's house or something.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I think the ?Canucks arewaiting to see if they can get
EK. If they can get EK, then it’s bye bye to Edler. If they can’t get EK then I think the Canucks will reup with
Edler, but not if he wants a deal that means he has to be protected for Seattle expansion. He k, maybe the Seattle protection is all that’s holding up his signing?
I love EK but he's been hurt a lot this year and in the last few might not be best idea anymore I'm thinking.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
He’s running out of distractions from the fact that the team performs terribly every year. Benning should already be fired based on his work to date, but when Hughes joins the team and they still struggle public opinion will turn even more than it has now and the promise of another young draft pick isn’t going to cut it.
Agreed that ,at the end of the day ,results do matter...I don’t believe that was the case this year (he was not expected to make the playoffs,but progress has been made)..

Next year though,he will have to show hard results (same with Green as well,I imagine).

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I feel this was more of a move similar to Bob Nicholson with the Oilers. He becomes president and takes a year to assess the organization. This would line up with bennings contract so that they can decide whether to use the team option extension. That's how I feel it will go if we get a new hire. I believe Benning will be here next year.
Makes too much sense...

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Agreed that ,at the end of the day ,results do matter...I don’t believe that was the case this year (he was not expected to make the playoffs,but progress has been made)..

Next year though,he will have to show hard results (same with Green as well,I imagine).

The fact that we were expected to be bad does not in any way reflect well on Benning after 4 years. Poorly constructed teams are supposed to be bad.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The fact that we were expected to be bad does not in any way reflect well on Benning after 4 years. Poorly constructed teams are supposed to be bad.

Since when is it acceptable to be bad when the team isn't rebuilding? And like you say, it's been 4 years of poor teams. Why is that acceptable?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Every team that doesn’t have a winning record is poorly constructed,or has a defect somewhere..It’s taking a longer time here because a)..they wasted 2 years trying to retool on the fly..b)..the owners wanted to retain the ‘Sedin window’ as long as possible.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
..and who was it that promoted Brackett to DOS,and implemented a new procedure for identifying players?

Gillis just let his scouts take care of business..look what happened?

Lol Gillis was the one who hired brackett in the first place. Without Gillis Canucks would never have drafted boeser and pettersson.

Thank God at least we had one gm capable of hiring a good amateur scout. Who did Benning hire? A security guard.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
All the reports I ever saw were that Lombardi was being courted for the President's job, not the GM.

Benning is, unfortunately, not being fired this season. Or offseason. Unless he eggs Aqualini's house or something.
Aqua would literally blame Trevor Linden and Mike Gillis for this

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I’ve said all along the first step in getting rid of JimJohn is hiring a president. And depending on the president it could be a demand for employment that they bring in their own guy. A new president means Benning is all but done. It’s just a matter of time. Is it before April closes or before Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->