#firebenning: The Movement Has Gone Mainstream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
With #firebenning being the number one trend in Canada last night as the Canucks were curb stomped in a laugher against Vegas as they fade horribly in yet another late-season drive, the main question everyone seems to be asking is "Where are the Fire Benning chants?"

The Vancouver media which has the intellectual capacity and journalistic integrity of pond scum ran a two-time President Trophy winning GM out of town in the midst of one bad owner-tampered season. This led to our idiot r/canucks fan base chanting to fire him which gave the owner and our pond scum media the justification to run him off.

Now with Elmer, apparently building security descends upon you if you voice your displeasure about his work. Reports on Twitter of building security stomping out any sort of Benning dissent immediately.

The media has coddled this guy like a very touching episode of Life Goes On with Elmer as Corky who's been gifted a goddamn hockey team. Let's be reality, the national media doesn't even watch Canucks games and can't be bothered with this shitty team with the late night games, so they just present the youth meme. Meanwhile, here we are in year five of this purgatory now with a losing culture which infects every aspect of this organization.

Our owner is second generation money who popped up from under the rock he's been hiding under for the last five years to live tweet about how great everything is. Aquillini made it one period into the game before disavowing responsibility and disappearing back to under his rock once he saw how bad everything is and how angry the natives are.

This is a multi-billion dollar corporation and business who's product is hockey and winning hockey games in which we are the customers and consumers of their product. If the Vancouver Canucks were McDonald's they would have been selling us substandard raw meat on Chinese newspaper for the last four years with promises of elite hamburgers in the future and how they just got this bad ass prime expensive meat they got from another burger joint off waivers.

Olli Juolevi
Jake Virtanen

Gustav Frosling
Jared McCann
Zack Kassian

Now finally after last night's shellacking where a team with exactly one year of history beat the ever loving snot out of a team with 50 years of history exposing this team, this management, this ownership, the media and all connected and concerned parties to the fact that this management group is a complete failure, the Benning-era was a complete waste of time. This is year four of the same movie playing out on a downtrend from 2011. And if you're a long time fan, this looks exactly like the peak darkness of the Nonis years.

The biggest question at the moment is "Where are the Fire Benning chants?"

My question is, what is it ultimately going to take to break whatever this mystical power is this guy has over the ownership, the media and the r/canucks portion of the fan base? For about a decade, this ownership had my fiercest of loyalties because after the Nonis Administration, the ownership meme'd that losing would not be tolerated. Yet here we are in year five of peak Oilers and Maple Leaf hell with our owner seemingly more interested in his Overwatch team than his multi-billion dollar NHL franchise.

The media is giving praise for little aspects of Benning's job like managing to not trade all of our draft picks away and managing to drink water without drowning. The national media is too assed to be bothered.

There's a clampdown in the arena. r/Canucks is r/Canucks and CDC is CDC.

So how does this hellish ride finally end and how does Benning finally get fired considering this gridlock through all things Canucks? Especially now that #firebenning is mainstream.

#FireBenning (@FireBenning2019) | Twitter

Taj on Twitter

Last edited:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Hey Jimmy, do you feel that chill crawling down your pathetic spine?
WaterloggedSpiritedIndianspinyloach-size_restricted.gif

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
A large portion of the fanbase has been supportive of Benning for a while now and it feels like that's finally starting to change, hopefully this building fan pressure combined with the team getting close to losing out for 13 games will result in a Benning firing shortly after the season.

My fear is that if Hughes signs and looks good then some of the casual fans starting to turn on Benning will revert back to their old ways.

Last edited:

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Pretty well summed up. Vancouver media is what gets me. Completely gutless and unwilling to ask anything other than the most cookie cutter softball questions. I am convinced Benning only has a job because he is a shill who does anything our meddling owner wants him to - there’s really no other logical explanation.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
So how does this hellish ride finally end and how does Benning finally get fired considering this gridlock through all things Canucks? Especially now that #firebenning is mainstream.

As much as I want a change in management asap and will gladly see Benning gone, I think its a little optimistic to call #firebenning mainstream from one night of it trending on twitter.

Its something that needs more buildup and more publicity, or else the majority of people in the fanbase will either make excuses for Benning or just not care really about who is in charge, until we've wasted several more years.

Reactions: Nomobo

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Make no mistake, the media is controlled by the Canucks and Aquilini. The fact that fire Benning is tending now is no coincidence. It means that the canucks are trying to turn the public against him so that they can fire him. It's coming soon.

Reactions: Hodgy

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Would a letter to the editor campaign accomplish anything in the 21th century? There has to be a pragmatic way of utilizing this new found popular sentiment to finally get some positive change we've been screaming for on HF for the last couple years.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I think it's freaking hilarious people are mad at Benning for not making the playoffs. Like you didn't see this coming? Have you seen his trade and FA signings? Willful blindness or some such.
To me this isn’t even about the playoffs. Let’s get serious we weren’t making them this year without over achieving. This is about his pro scouting, lack of trading off “assets” that no longer fit into our plan and bad FA signings.

Reactions: B-rock

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Please for the love of god and my long term fandom, get rid of this f***ing clown and hire someone worth a damn. It hurts to see my favourite team spin around the bottom of the toilet like this year after year.

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Why the f*** did we not trade Hamhuis?

It makes no logical sense. And there's tons of these decisions. This team doesn't even have to win to make me happy as a fan. I just want the management group to make logical decisions. After last night, I think it's hard to argue this is even a NHL caliber team at this point.

"DURRR INJURIES DURRRRRRRRRR!"

Yeah, this is what? The umpteenth consecutive year injuries have ravaged the blueline. The definition of insanity is repeating the same failed action with the belief that each new attempt will lead to a different conclusion.

The only time I remember this not being a problem is under Nonis who beat the problem of NHL defenders being decimated by injury by simply not having NHL defenders. But I'm getting old so the memory might be getting hazy.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I think it's freaking hilarious people are mad at Benning for not making the playoffs. Like you didn't see this coming? Have you seen his trade and FA signings? Willful blindness or some such.

This misses the point, most posters on this forum called this outcome way before the season even started. We're angry because it's been half a decade of the same shit, with Benning expecting a different result each time.

Willful blindness comes from those who continue to support this regime with the same rhetoric of "but Pettersson, Boeser, Gillis, injuries, etc."

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
To me this isn’t even about the playoffs. Let’s get serious we weren’t making them this year without over achieving. This is about his pro scouting, lack of trading off “assets” that no longer fit into our plan and bad FA signings.

Casual fan has no idea what you just said.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
TSN has been ripping Benning all season.

Best thing to happen to that station is losing radio rights. They applaud good moves and rip the bad ones.

I can’t remember the last time I actually listened to a 650 show aside from the game

The only holdout seems to be the team shill Imac. Most of the local media have begun to take shots at management

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
EP's brilliant and unexpected first half of the season screwed us...it likely gave Benning more time. If we had a season that mirrored Ottawa's or Edmonton's from the start then Benning and Green would have been fired already...or at least they should be.

With all the talk from Vancouver media at the start of the season of how good our prospect pool is/was...where are they? Who is playing up from Utica other than 4th liners and blue line D to fill holes? Why are prospects desperate to get out of Utica?

There is something not right with this entire organization and it starts at the top.

I have defended JB and TG in the past but time to blow up the management group and bring in some hockey people that know how to accumulate assets and stop filling holes with bad FAs on long term contracts that hurt us more than help us.

Reactions: vanuck and pomorick

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Casual fan has no idea what you just said.
Have you ever thought that Aqualini is trying to appease the casual fan.?...The fans that buy tickets, sweaters,..go to the pub etc.

Part of me suspects that a lot of the 'hardcore' fans just watch the team on TV.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
The arena started to empty after goal four, and most of who remained were part of a group with kids.

After the first intermission the arena was half empty, and a good chunk of those remaining were Knights fans.

It's not just management, I don't at all make it seem like he deserves a pass, we need a whole new front office too.

And a new owner.

Last edited:

member 290103

Have you ever thought that Aqualini is trying to appease the casual fan.?...The fans that buy tickets, sweaters,..go to the pub etc.

Part of me suspects that a lot of the 'hardcore' fans just watch the team on TV.

I think it’s really completely opposite.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think it’s really completely opposite.
You're entitled to your opinion, but I disagree..the 'hard core' fans are always going to be there..The casual fan with disposable income (can afford parking ,merchandise, drinks,..take all the kids..) can do other things in the city with his/her money when the teams on a down cycle....When the team generates interest..like sheep,..they will all follow suit and flock back.

Reactions: bbud

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
You're entitled to your opinion, but I disagree..the 'hard core' fans are always going to be there..The casual fan with disposable income (can afford parking ,merchandise, drinks,..take all the kids..) can do other things in the city with his/her money when the teams on a down cycle....When the team generates interest..like sheep,..they will all follow suit and flock back.

With that line of reasoning you'd think FA and Benning would want to ice a better product to appeal to those casuals.

Reactions: Jyrki21

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
With that line of reasoning you'd think FA and Benning would want to ice a better product to appeal to those casuals.

If they were actually playing fun skilled hockey with the majority of the roster being guys with actual potential to grow (not like 26-33 year old filler) it wouldn’t be so bad.

But it’s an extremely bad product and the support they brought in to insulate the 3 good players we have aren’t good enough to help them out in any real way. They are burning out.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Of course he does, but its a rebuilding team...Theres been some blowouts lately, but by and large, the Canucks have been entertaining this season...(isn't it something like 33 games they've lost by a goal?).

The team will be selling their young core players to the casual fan..but eventually hard results matter..With the Sedins leaving last year, this was meant to be a development year..Next year is a different story...If the results aren't there, changes will be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad