#firebenning: The Movement Has Gone Mainstream

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Benning is here to stay for the next season. I dont see him gone. There's no indication from the organization hes on the hot seat. The media isnt even rumouring any front office changes. Everyone's job is safe. I dont like it but you guys overvalue aquilini resolve to get rid of benning

There have been reports that Aquilini twice reached out to Dean Lombardi- last Summer and again a couple weeks ago. Jason Botchford was told that ownership believes with the right money offered, Lombardi would come here. What are you talking about?

Reactions: Hemty

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
There have been reports that Aquilini twice reached out to Dean Lombardi- last Summer and again a couple weeks ago. Jason Botchford was told that ownership believes with the right money offered, Lombardi would come here. What are you talking about?
While i hope that you are right, there have been conflicting reports suggesting that Lombardi doesn't want anything to do with a Canadian market, and that he's happy in his current situation.
For what it's worth, its good to hear that Aqua is looking for someone else, period.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Benning is here to stay for the next season. I dont see him gone. There's no indication from the organization hes on the hot seat. The media isnt even rumouring any front office changes. Everyone's job is safe. I dont like it but you guys overvalue aquilini resolve to get rid of benning
I'm leaning in that direction as well.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I feel this was more of a move similar to Bob Nicholson with the Oilers. He becomes president and takes a year to assess the organization. This would line up with bennings contract so that they can decide whether to use the team option extension. That's how I feel it will go if we get a new hire. I believe Benning will be here next year.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver

It is really hard to predict ownership, bug I agree with you. They need to find someone better and willing to take the job, and I would assume that an improved management team would cost a lot more than he's paying now. They have no president and a fairly lean executive team which makes sense given the arena is half full and they aren't "going for it". Do we really want them "going for it" yet. Benning has been very good for the tank.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Just the fact that Benning is still making some minor signings (college + Schenn) is not necessarly an indication he wont be fired. Those are non-relevant transactions when it comes to the bigger picture, if there was an $24m/4y Edler extension coming I would be more concerned.

We should know more in about a week after the year end press conference.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
While i hope that you are right, there have been conflicting reports suggesting that Lombardi doesn't want anything to do with a Canadian market, and that he's happy in his current situation.
For what it's worth, its good to hear that Aqua is looking for someone else, period.

I'm really clinging to the part that Botchford said about ownership believing Lombardi will come if the money is right.

I feel this was more of a move similar to Bob Nicholson with the Oilers. He becomes president and takes a year to assess the organization. This would line up with bennings contract so that they can decide whether to use the team option extension. That's how I feel it will go if we get a new hire. I believe Benning will be here next year.

Except Dean Lombardi has spent decades as a GM in hockey, winning 2 Stanley Cups. Bob Nicholson has never been a GM in the NHL and went from being the CEO of Hockey Canada to a similar position with the Oilers.

And even so, if Lombardi is brought in as President of Hockey Operations, I would fully expect him to name Ron Hextall as GM given their extensive history together.

Reactions: Hemty

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Just the fact that Benning is still making some minor signings (college + Schenn) is not necessarly an indication he wont be fired. Those are non-relevant transactions when it comes to the bigger picture, if there was an $24m/4y Edler extension coming I would be more concerned.

We should know more in about a week after the year end press conference.

Agreed. And as I mentioned earlier, I find the lack of an Edler extension to be quite interesting considering there was talk that they'd agreed on the term already and it sounded like a signing was close. To go from being close to nothing is very peculiar. Given Aquilini's history of handcuffing Gillis the deadline before he was fired there are some similarities.

Reactions: Hemty and Peter10

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I'm really clinging to the part that Botchford said about ownership believing Lombardi will come if the money is right.

Except Dean Lombardi has spent decades as a GM in hockey, winning 2 Stanley Cups. Bob Nicholson has never been a GM in the NHL and went from being the CEO of Hockey Canada to a similar position with the Oilers.

And even so, if Lombardi is brought in as President of Hockey Operations, I would fully expect him to name Ron Hextall as GM given their extensive history together.
I'd like hextall.

However if the comparable will be better for you, Brian burke did the same thing for the flames. He was hired as president and the flames management wasn't up to his standard and was relieved midseason in December. Funny enough was faster and weisbrod.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What are you expecting after 4 years starting with an abysmal prospect pool consisting of one impact player?

All I’m saying is that JB has hit some great home runs without ever winning the lottery,or picking higher than 5th..

You could have given a 10 year old a copy of the THN Draft Preview and let him run the draft and he’d have some home runs too, with those picks.

Completely meaningless. Especially since Benning didn’t want Pettersson.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I'd like hextall.

However if the comparable will be better for you, Brian burke did the same thing for the flames. He was hired as president and the flames management wasn't up to his standard and was relieved midseason in December. Funny enough was faster and weisbrod.

And when Burke was hired in Calgary he made it clear that he was hired for the business side and not the hockey ops side of things. I don't think Lombardi would be a business hiring. Feaster was also in Calgary for a lot less time than Benning has been in Vancouver.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
And when Burke was hired in Calgary he made it clear that he was hired for the business side and not the hockey ops side of things. I don't think Lombardi would be a business hiring. Feaster was also in Calgary for a lot less time than Benning has been in Vancouver.
I'm not entirely familiar with the flames organization so I dont know the exact inner workings. But to the best of my knowledge, Burke was hired as president of hockey ops.

Brian Burke hired by Flames as president of hockey operations
Flames hire Burke as president of hockey ops - Sportsnet.ca

The point I'm making is that they're going after a high profile hockey executive. There's a clear spot open in the organization and its president of hockey ops. I think Lombardi was being considered for such a position. You said so yourself Lombardi was asked last summer. Linden "parted ways amicably" last summer.

Jason Botchford: Mixed messages on president status add confusion to Canucks’ chaos
Botchford last summer quoted Friedman as Lombardi being a contender for the position.

Does this mean Benning is going to get fired soon?

I dont see him on the hot seat until a new president is here. I still expect Canucks to fill their empty position of a president. I fully expect Benning to be here this September. How long he stays will depend on his new boss. I'm not saying every hockey executive situation is the same as ours but I'm merely stating this is my opinion of what is going to happen.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I'm not entirely familiar with the flames organization so I dont know the exact inner workings. But to the best of my knowledge, Burke was hired as president of hockey ops.

Brian Burke hired by Flames as president of hockey operations
Flames hire Burke as president of hockey ops - Sportsnet.ca

The point I'm making is that they're going after a high profile hockey executive. There's a clear spot open in the organization and its president of hockey ops. I think Lombardi was being considered for such a position. You said so yourself Lombardi was asked last summer. Linden "parted ways amicably" last summer.

Jason Botchford: Mixed messages on president status add confusion to Canucks’ chaos
Botchford last summer quoted Friedman as Lombardi being a contender for the position.

Does this mean Benning is going to get fired soon?

I dont see him on the hot seat until a new president is here. I still expect Canucks to fill their empty position of a president. I fully expect Benning to be here this September. How long he stays will depend on his new boss. I'm not saying every hockey executive situation is the same as ours but I'm merely stating this is my opinion of what is going to happen.

I suppose I got this a bit confused: https://nationalpost.com/sports/hoc...doesnt-plan-to-be-patient-with-calgary-flames

Burke had no interest in being the general manager of that team. This was a time when the President and General Manager roles were usually done by the same person, otherwise the President was very seldom involved in hockey decisions.

I suppose, I just don't see why Lombardi would come here just to keep Jim Benning. It's also been reported that Aquilini is doing an audit of Benning's transactions, and after being the worst team in the league over a 4 year period despite trying to make the playoffs I can't see how anyone could come to the conclusion that he's done a good job and deserves to stay here.

I stand by my intuition. IF Dean Lombardi is hired, Benning is out the door very shortly after. And I would fully expect Ron Hextall to follow Lombardi.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
The Canucks have won 7 games in regulation against playoff teams this season. That doesn’t seem good.

I count 8 actually. Starting from start of season:
5-3 vs flames
4-1 vs lightning
8-5 vs bruins
5-3 vs predators
6-1 vs blues
3-2 vs blue jackets
5-1 vs blues
5-1 vs avalanche

Still an atrocious result.

Last season 17-18 canucks had 12 wins vs playoff teams
Year before that 16-17 they had 7 wins

Just as a point of comparison, here's the number of regulation wins vs playoff teams by other bottom feeders around the league this year.

Sabres 6
Oilers 7
Devils 9
Red Wings 9
Rangers 10
Kings 10
Blackhawks 11
Senators 11
Ducks 12

3rd last in the league in regulation wins vs playoff teams. But...but...they're improving!! Now that I've made this post watch them go on a fluky 3 game regulation win streak to close out the season...

Last edited:

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Boeser was a Calder finalist..as EP will be ?..Bennings cards are running out if he doesn’t get a top 3..?..Elaborate please..

You are aware that NHL teams employ an entire army of amateur scouts whose entire responsibility is to scout for the upcoming draft right? If we had anyone else as GM, and they simply let brackett run the draft we would still have boeser and pettersson.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I count 8 actually. Starting from start of season:
5-3 vs flames
4-1 vs lightning
8-5 vs bruins
5-3 vs predators
6-1 vs blues
3-2 vs blue jackets
5-1 vs blues
5-1 vs avalanche

Still an atrocious result. Just as a point of comparison, here's the number of regulation wins vs playoff teams by other bottom feeders around the league.

Sabres 6
Oilers 7
Devils 9
Red Wings 9
Rangers 10
Kings 10
Blackhawks 11
Senators 11
Ducks 12

3rd last in the league in regulation wins vs playoff teams. But...but...they're improving!! Now that I've made this post watch them go on a fluky 3 game regulation win streak to close out the season...

I guess when that stat came out, Columbus was on the outside looking in, since the Canucks lost both games to Montreal.

Also, in regulation the Canucks have a record of 21-35. That also doesn't seem good.

Reactions: Luckylarry

member 290103

Talk on 1040 that Hextall could bring in Ray Ferraro as an assistant as they have a long history.

Dream scenarios. I am prepared for another season of Jim.

I like how big of a supporter Green is of Jim....I guess it would be nice to have a boss that you basically bossed around.

Benning is so useless.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Talk on 1040 that Hextall could bring in Ray Ferraro as an assistant as they have a long history.

I like how big of a supporter Green is of Jim....I guess it would be nice to have a boss that you basically bossed around.

Benning is so useless.
I hope they put some new management in Utica as well. Just atrocious. That's the first thing the president of hockey ops should fix.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Benning is so useless.

The things Ferraro says make sense, so I would be okay with it from that perspective, but I would want someone in here who is well versed on the CBA like Gilman is. Also someone who is well versed in analytics. I don't think Ferraro fits either of those roles.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Agreed. And as I mentioned earlier, I find the lack of an Edler extension to be quite interesting considering there was talk that they'd agreed on the term already and it sounded like a signing was close. To go from being close to nothing is very peculiar. Given Aquilini's history of handcuffing Gillis the deadline before he was fired there are some similarities.
I think Edler's camp are the ones who put off negotiations.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The things Ferraro says make sense, so I would be okay with it from that perspective, but I would want someone in here who is well versed on the CBA like Gilman is. Also someone who is well versed in analytics. I don't think Ferraro fits either of those roles.

I think Ray is a Canuck’s fan too. He might be too close to the team, feelings wise. He has often, in the first years of Linbenning, made comments about the team’s lack of clear direction, and that this whole “retool” idea was a mistake. He was clearly 100% correct on that point!

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Why do you think this?
What would be the rush to sign the Canucks offers? Yes, I get he wants to be here, but if they're lowballing, there is no incentive to sign anything now. The difference in the offer could be $15m from Vancouver where another team was offering $30m.

I think Edler's camp has leverage, because it'll look bad if they just let him leave for nothing, and the closer they get to the window where other teams can show their interest , the more leverage they have.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
What would be the rush to sign the Canucks offers? Yes, I get he wants to be here, but if they're lowballing, there is no incentive to sign anything now. The difference in the offer could be $15m from Vancouver where another team was offering $30m.

I think Edler's camp has leverage, because it'll look bad if they just let him leave for nothing, and the closer they get to the window where other teams can show their interest , the more leverage they have.

Does Jim Benning strike you as someone who lowballs players in contract negotiations?

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
You could have given a 10 year old a copy of the THN Draft Preview and let him run the draft and he’d have some home runs too, with those picks.

Completely meaningless. Especially since Benning didn’t want Pettersson.

Where has it come out that benning didn’t want pettersson??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad