Fire Tocchet

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't think one player is going to cut it. But I agree the problem won't be fixed by replacing the coach. The roster has bigger issues. There's no reason to stick with Tocc, however, when he has no answers.
Love him as a player. Not a good coach.
No coach is going to get Stepan and Goligoski and Kessel to suddenly play with passion and prepare with discipline. But a new coach could make their lives miserable, and possibly even demand or just recommend strongly that they be removed.

The problem with the team is that the rot runs deep and the coaches can't even see it. OEL rarely cares, Stepan, Goligoski, and Kessel never do. The former is moody and can't decide whether he's half in or half out. The latter trio have just become utterly complacent and just do not give even a single shit. They got paid, they're entitled, and they're on cruise-control. Early retirement days for these clowns. They just want to drink bud lights, play golf, play poker, go on vacation and chill. None of them care at all about hockey.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I think Goose and Step both care. In Step’s case, he’s just not very good at hockey anymore. He is smart and positionally sound. That’s it. He’s washed out rapidly and it’s sad because I do think he genuinely cares. Kessel might even care too much and that’s part of the problem. I think he wants to do well for Tocc and it’s seeped into his psyche. Their relationship is actually a hindrance and not a positive. All year you can see Kessel looks indecisive with the puck, like he’s caught in between two things and can’t decide what to do...he’s thinking too much and has no confidence. It’s not that these guys don’t care. They are either a shell of their former selves hockey wise (OEL, Stepan) or just head cases.

Reactions: Edenjung

LosPollosHermanos

Jan 29, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Hard to watch a team that doesn’t give a shit. Especially Keller, my god. Kid is a millionaire at 21 and suddenly doesn’t have to work hard or give a shit. Little Clayton cashed big, now he’s just out there to have fun with all his friends!

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
You just know we will beat Tampa tomorrow, which will make us not sell at the deadline and try to re-sign Hall, which will snowball into keeping Tocchet around because him and Hall have a good relationship, which will turn into quotes from Chayka saying how we were so close to making the playoffs and he really believes that with a full season of Hall and Kessel being used to RTs system that we will be a contender next year with minimal changes. Everything remains the same and NJ gets two top ten picks...

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
You just know we will beat Tampa tomorrow, which will make us not sell at the deadline and try to re-sign Hall, which will snowball into keeping Tocchet around because him and Hall have a good relationship, which will turn into quotes from Chayka saying how we were so close to making the playoffs and he really believes that with a full season of Hall and Kessel being used to RTs system that we will be a contender next year with minimal changes. Everything remains the same and NJ gets two top ten picks...

And then when the Yotes STILL have the same problems next year and miss the playoffs again we get to get the same or other types of excuses all over again.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
And then when the Yotes STILL have the same problems next year and miss the playoffs again we get to get the same or other types of excuses all over again.

time-is-a-flat-circle-gif-8.gif

url

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
If I was choosing a new coach I would likley lean toward Laviolette. He was good at maximizing returns with a Predators roster that was lacking star forwards.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Hard to watch a team that doesn’t give a shit. Especially Keller, my god. Kid is a millionaire at 21 and suddenly doesn’t have to work hard or give a shit. Little Clayton cashed big, now he’s just out there to have fun with all his friends!

I think Keller is one of those guys that will eventually put up big numbers with the right coaching and team around him. Not saying I wouldn't trade him if the appropriate return was there, just that it's premature to say he's a bust.

I know your point is more around work ethic, and I totally agree.

Reactions: LosPollosHermanos

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think Rick Tocchet did a lot to change the culture here (same sort of job he did in Tampa). Maybe that's his specialty as a head coach. And he deserves credit for that, but I think it's become clear we've pushed him to the limits of his capabilities as head coach. Nothing wrong with that, just time for a change.

I think someone like Boudreau could come in and unlock tremendous offensive potential from guys like Keller.

CoyoteDave

Dec 12, 2016
Cave Creek
Keller will not be an above average forward unless he is paired with a very good center and a big winger that can dig the puck out of the corners. He is a player above the dots that needs space to be affective. He will not crash the net. Won't set up screens and thus get close in rebounds. Unable to circle behind the net because he does not have the drive or strength to hold on to the puck.

Reactions: Canis Latrans

rt

May 13, 2004
I think Rick Tocchet did a lot to change the culture here (same sort of job he did in Tampa). Maybe that's his specialty as a head coach. And he deserves credit for that, but I think it's become clear we've pushed him to the limits of his capabilities as head coach. Nothing wrong with that, just time for a change.

I think someone like Boudreau could come in and unlock tremendous offensive potential from guys like Keller.
I'm not mad at Tocchet. I don't hate Tocchet. I view this like a trade. I don't hate Lawson Crouse. He's fine. But I'd trade him for Brady Tkachuk. Just the same, it would be very stupid not to trade Tocchet for a clear upgrade like BB or Lavi.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If Goligoski didn't care he wouldn't lead the team in blocked shots. Sorry that he's not Keith f*cking Yandle.

Only because Hammer was out and Goligoski gets a ton of PK time for some reason. You've seen him blow his assignment more than any other person this year over and over again. You've seen the terrible body language and the laughable attitude postgame. I don't know what more you need.

Goligoski tried to 'block' Kyrou last night and he just got walked by a player that was paying attention. He needs to go.

Reactions: Fuhrious

rt

May 13, 2004
We will beat Tampa 6-1. Hall will have two goals, Kessel will have two goals, and OEL and Stepan one each.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Goligoski was still right behind Hammer last year when both were healthy.

Last year he was 4th by rate behind Hammer, Oesterle, and Lyubushkin. Many of his blocked shots come after he fails a zone exit right to the other team or turns a routine possession into his own zone into a bunch of scoring chances against. He's dead last in takeaways/60 if you don't count Ness. Chychrun takes the puck away at a rate that's nearly 10x higher. Oesterle nearly 5x higher.

Goligoski isn't interested once the puck is off his stick. It's plain as day.

Reactions: Fuhrious

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
How in the f*ck you make zero line adjustments in a game where you’re getting outshot by a 3:1 margin however, is beyond me. I have no words for it.

I noticed Hayton was out with Hall late in the game. Wether that was because he was double shifting Hall at the time or not I don’t know. I don’t go running off to the stat charts looking for some reason to vent.

I’ve been causally sitting back today and reading all sorts of reasons why we lost last night. I get the frustration but seriously, most everyone here is just tossing darts at a board right now.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I noticed Hayton was out with Hall late in the game. Wether that was because he was double shifting Hall at the time or not I don’t know. I don’t go running off to the stat charts looking for some reason to vent.

I’ve been causally sitting back today and reading all sorts of reasons why we lost last night. I get the frustration but seriously, most everyone here is just tossing darts at a board right now.

I don't think it is about the way we lost last night. It is about how we have looked over several nights. You are right - holding the Blues to 1 goal on 46 shots should be looked at as more of a positive than a negative. However, it has been clear from the time the Hall trade was made that there was a belief that our defense can do enough, and we needed to be able to put the puck in the net more often. Well, we aren't doing that (even though our initial 2-3 weeks after picking up Hall actually resulted in us raising our GFA).

Name the last time our team had this much talent on it. I am thinking back to the 11-12 season, but I think this current team blows that team away in terms of talent and skill. Maybe Vrbata and Whitney are the only 2 that are ahead of the pack there, but Hall alone closes that gap considerably.

Everything has pointed in the direction of turning the corner this year. We lose our goalie and can't win again. Edmonton loses the best player in all of hockey and their top defenseman. They have 3 wins in their last 5 with that going on. We have 5 wins in our last 19.

This isn't as much a player issue any longer - it is a coaching issue.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona

Are you saying that expecting a coaching staff to make any sort of adjustment while getting absolutely dominated all night, is unwarranted or outrageous? I don’t think it is. Especially because it was somehow still a close, winnable game until late. If it was a blowout then yeah, whatever, just say screw it and get ready for next game. This was a one goal game for the majority and the coaches did nothing whatsoever to adjust or change lines to try to create any spark for the team. It might not have worked anyway, but the fact that they didn’t even try is so confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad