Post-Game Talk: Fire Tippett, trade Bear

Who were you most disappointed with in this series?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
And do u know what exactly came out of McD's mouth?
Not to be confrontational, but you don’t know either. You are giving him the benefit of the doubt. I kind of agree with @Shathar. IF that was McDavid blowing up on Puljujarvi for something as minor as a missed, it’s a bad look. Not saying JP needs to be coddled, but his history in Edmonton suggests that he may be a bit mentally fragile. A good leader would think about that, and not do anything to set back the progress the kid has made this year. Hopefully we learn that this was just McDavid yelling at the team in general and not singling out JP.

Reactions: Shathar

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Did he? Don't recall many McDavid diving penalties. Maybe the can opener he got back in 2016 from that plug Lazar that may not have actually been a dive?

For as long as I can remember, McDavid has been trying to fight off the clutching and grabbing and the refs seem to just expect him to do that every night now.
I can't recall him selling anything ever either

Brown Cat

Hates OP
Jan 7, 2021
>Mains any other time
>"Steven A is terrible! He sucks! Glad he doesn't do hockey"!
>Mains now
>"OMG I LUV STEVEN A! LET ME WORSHIP YOUR COCK"!

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He was having a heated discussion with Jesse. Most people aren't looking at the right clip. Probably normal frustration stuff being down 3-0 in the series.

OguCA9c.gif
Following up on this. The broadcast showed a McDavid game highlight package during the scrape stoppage midway through the first OT. The first gif below was included where he says something to Jesse and then "my bad." No idea what it was about, could be related or not.

y9oafHj.gif

McDavid was fired up last night. He wanted to win bad (look at his reaction after Chiasson's goal). The highlight package ended just in time to show McDavid going down the bench trying to rally the team.

cfifgNm.gif

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Following up on this. The broadcast showed a McDavid game highlight package during the scrape stoppage midway through the first OT. The first gif below was included where he says something to Jesse and then "my bad." No idea what it was about, could be related or not.

y9oafHj.gif

McDavid was as fired up last night. He wanted to win bad (look at his reaction after Chiasson's goal). After the highlight package ended, McDavid was going down the bench trying to rally the team:

cfifgNm.gif

It sucks that our management groups have been so incompetent that they don't give these guys more to work with. Both Connor and Jesse deserved better.

Get these guys some f***ing help.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

y9oafHj.gif

McDavid was fired up last night. He wanted to win bad (look at his reaction after Chiasson's goal). After the highlight package ended, McDavid was going down the bench trying to rally the team.

cfifgNm.gif
Need to see more of this going forward, love to actually see that fire that we know he has in him. Clearly the priority from now on out is playoff success, regular season success means nothing. Get these guys some f***ing help.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Need to see more of this going forward, love to actually see that fire that we know he has in him. Clearly the priority from now on out is playoff success, regular season success means nothing. Get these guys some f***ing help.

To me it's sad, it's like watching two kids trying to hold their family together and trying so hard to make it work when the parents are clearly putting them in an impossible situation and are absentee parents.

Our management needs to get something done, stop f***ing around and win a goddamn trade for starters. Do your f***ing job like every other good organization in the league does. Enough is enough.

Reactions: 780il

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Jesse should be changed to Leon.

It's more that both don't deserve to be in that situation. It's like a household where the parents (management) are drunk and passed out and the kids (players) get into a fight upstairs, I mean this is ultimately the parents fault.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It's more that both don't deserve to be in that situation. It's like a household where the parents (management) are drunk and passed out and the kids (players) get into a fight upstairs, I mean this is ultimately the parents fault.
The correct analogy is one of the parents (Tippett) gives in to pressure and puts one of the kids in another room so they don't interact for the whole night.

He's the f***ing coach. Take a stand and don't let players dictate your strategy. If he doesn't take Pulju off that line none of this blows up. But he does, the line actually performs worse with Yamamoto on it, and now everyone is reading into what was said and whether there's any animosity between players.

Last edited:

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
This off-season is going to be massive for us. As shitty as this series was, the core group of guys will have a huge chip on their shoulder. We have fans back in the arena next season and this off-season Kenny Holland has no excuse to not build a cup contender.

From this point on, the Oilers have to be going all in every year. Our window to win begins this upcoming season (as long as Holland makes the right moves this off-season).

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This off-season is going to be massive for us. As shitty as this series was, the core group of guys will have a huge chip on their shoulder. We have fans back in the arena next season and this off-season Kenny Holland has no excuse to not build a cup contender.

From this point on, the Oilers have to be going all in every year. Our window to win begins this upcoming season (as long as Holland makes the right moves this off-season).

I mean I think "Cup contender" is a big ask.

Lets try and win 1 round first, and even that Holland has a lot of work to do. Nobody in the NHL just rolls over in the 1st round and as long as the Oilers are a thin team almost any opponent has a decent chance of beating us in a best of 7 if they clog up the middle of the ice and double team/obstruct/hold McDavid.

Reactions: Jakey53

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I mean I think "Cup contender" is a big ask.

Lets try and win 1 round first, and even that Holland has a lot of work to do. Nobody in the NHL just rolls over in the 1st round and as long as the Oilers are a thin team almost any opponent has a decent chance of beating us in a best of 7 if they clog up the middle of the ice and double team/obstruct/hold McDavid.

By any advanced metric you pull up, the Oilers did not deserve to be swept. It was more of an anomaly than anything. If anything, Oilers deserved to win the series but didn’t have the depth to do so.

Despite the result, we are playoff contenders now due to Mcdrai alone and I think will continue to be so. The next step is becoming cup contenders and if Holland plays it right, I think we take a step towards that this off-season

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
By any advanced metric you pull up, the Oilers did not deserve to be swept. It was more of an anomaly than anything. If anything, Oilers deserved to win the series but didn’t have the depth to do so.

Despite the result, we are playoff contenders now due to Mcdrai alone and I think will continue to be so. The next step is becoming cup contenders and if Holland plays it right, I think we take a step towards that this off-season

I mean people said this in the Chicago series, we outshot and out-corsied them and they lost 3/4 games anyway.

Not only that the Jets didn't have Dubois and Ehlers in game 1 and no Ehlers for game 1 or 2 and still swept the Oilers.

This may well be a longer process to become an actual contender, they could very well lose in the 1st round again next year.

If you don't have a 2nd line that can dominate/take over a series if the McDavid line is shut down for starters, you're not going to be a contender. Coaches are too smart in this league they will zero in on that weakness and game plan hard. The book is out on the current version of the Oilers when it comes to playing them in a series.

To change that, the Oilers roster must get much better.

Reactions: Aussiejet

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I mean people said this in the Chicago series, we outshot and out-corsied them and they lost 3/4 games anyway.

Not only that the Jets didn't have Dubois and Ehlers in game 1 and no Ehlers for game 1 or 2 and still swept the Oilers.

This may well be a longer process to become a contender, they could very well lose in the 1st round again next year.

It’s no surprise our depth let us down for two straight years. Winnipeg has players that can score and are deeper than us up front. Our hands were tied with terrible contracts and ineffective players in previous years. This is the first time in a very long time that we have the cap space to make significant changes and improve the club.

We very well could but this team just as easily could make noise. The best part is that the pieces we desperately need are the ones available in free agency. If Holland brings 4 effective faces up front, 2 on the backend and a strong 1A goalie, we will be off to the races.

It seems like a big checklist but a lot of it is completely doable given the cap space we have and the pieces we need

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It’s no surprise our depth let us down for two straight years. Our hands were tied with terrible contracts and ineffective players. This is the first time in a very long time that we have the cap space to make significant changes and improve the club.

We very well could but this team just as easily could make noise. The best part is that the pieces we desperately need are the ones available in free agency. If Holland brings 4 effective faces up front, 2 on the backend and a strong 1A goalie, we will be off to the races.

It seems like a big checklist but a lot of it is completely doable given the cap space we have and the pieces we need

I think they are a fun regular season team but they still have some years to get spanked.

Asking for 4 effective adds in one UFA class is asking for a lot. You're lucky quite often if one of your UFA signings works out.

I think the franchise is in an interim phase where they will get beat in the 1st/2nd round for a few years before maybe breaking through.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I think they are a fun regular season team but they still have some years to get spanked.

Asking for 4 effective adds in one UFA class is asking for a lot. You're lucky quite often if one of your UFA signings works out.

I think the franchise is in an interim phase where they will get beat in the 1st/2nd round for a few years before maybe breaking through.

I don’t know if all the holes we address will be by signings, I think couple of them will be with trades too.

The blessing of the flat cap has been that GMs haven’t lost their mind in free agency. Depth players are only being awarded short term deals and that bodes well for us. We won’t handcuff ourselves to terrible contracts and will have players hungry to win.

Montreal last season had a huge off-season bringing in Toffoli, Anderson, Edmundson, Allen etc and those trades and signings all worked out for them.

Even if Holland doesn’t check every single box off, he has the opportunity to check off most and then bolster the line up at trade deadline.

You could be right. We might go through that phase but the mentality from this management group can’t be that. We have to give Connor and Leon every chance to win and support them as much as possible starting this off-season and going forward.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don’t know if all the holes we address will be by signings, I think couple of them will be with trades too.

The blessing of the flat cap has been that GMs haven’t lost their mind in free agency. Depth players are only being awarded short term deals and that bodes well for us. We won’t handcuff ourselves to terrible contracts and will have players hungry to win.

Montreal last season had a huge off-season bringing in Toffoli, Anderson, Edmundson, Allen etc and those trades and signings all worked out for them.

Even if Holland doesn’t check every single box off, he has the opportunity to check off most and then bolster the line up at trade deadline.

You could be right. We might go through that phase but the mentality from this management group can’t be that. We have to give Connor and Leon every chance to win and support them as much as possible starting this off-season and going forward.

Bergevin is actually a better GM than the Oilers have had since Lowe 2006. He got a monster haul for Pacioretty too.

He does get some really good players, but his problem is he doesn't have the McDavid/Draisaitl pieces to start with.

Holland might do something stupid like sign Tatar to a 5 year contract.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Bergevin is actually a better GM than the Oilers have had since Lowe 2006. He got a monster haul for Pacioretty too.

He does get some really good players, but his problem is he doesn't have the McDavid/Draisaitl pieces to start with.

Holland might do something stupid like sign Tatar to a 5 year contract.

Bergevin has also had his fair share of mistakes. Before this last year, he was on the hot seat and habs fans wanted him gone.

The faith we have in Holland is a whole different story. I do feel like he makes the right moves (most moves we as fans even like) but then it backfires. It is scary but I’m glad he hasn’t handcuffed this team.

Just have to hope that Holland does his job correctly this year and allocates the cap we have in bringing the right guys to help McDrai.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Bergevin has also had his fair share of mistakes. Before this last year, he was on the hot seat and habs fans wanted him gone.

The faith we have in Holland is a whole different story. I do feel like he makes the right moves (most moves we as fans even like) but then it backfires. It is scary but I’m glad he hasn’t handcuffed this team.

Just have to hope that Holland does his job correctly this year and allocates the cap we have in bringing the right guys to help McDrai.

I don't give any GM faith or anything anymore. Deliver and you're doing your job. If you want a thank you or adulation call me when the team is in the 2nd/3rd/4th round of the playoffs.

Until then, f*** off and do your job.

Maybe that's harsh, but that's where I am with GMs at this point.

There is no good job/high five for any GM of this team going forward unless the team is into the 2nd round of the playoffs *minimum*.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
>Mains any other time
>"Steven A is terrible! He sucks! Glad he doesn't do hockey"!
>Mains now
>"OMG I LUV STEVEN A! LET ME WORSHIP YOUR COCK"!

Just wait until he starts calling the Leafs the Dallas Stars of the NHL :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad