Post-Game Talk: Fire Tippett, trade Bear

Who were you most disappointed with in this series?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
The fact that some people still refer to Brocket 99 as anything other than "jesus holy christ what is this" supports this post.

About the director of the audio tape: "Nilesh Patel now resides in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada and is the program co-ordinator for the National Film Board's Diversity Project, director for Flourish Media and teaches filmmaking to street youth." :huh:o_O

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I've digested the series...not disappointed or upset with the boys, they gave it their all. I am disappointed for them though, especially those that haven't had the experience of the joy of winning a playoff game. Some may not get another chance

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Not to be confrontational, but you don’t know either. You are giving him the benefit of the doubt. I kind of agree with @Shathar. IF that was McDavid blowing up on Puljujarvi for something as minor as a missed, it’s a bad look. Not saying JP needs to be coddled, but his history in Edmonton suggests that he may be a bit mentally fragile. A good leader would think about that, and not do anything to set back the progress the kid has made this year. Hopefully we learn that this was just McDavid yelling at the team in general and not singling out JP.

I was kind of snarky yesterday with a lot of people. Apologies to all.

If the reports that McDavid offered an apology to Pulju afterwards are true, I'm happy.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

dem

Mar 17, 2002
About the director of the audio tape: "Nilesh Patel now resides in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada and is the program co-ordinator for the National Film Board's Diversity Project, director for Flourish Media and teaches filmmaking to street youth." :huh:o_O

Nilesh Patel did a documentary about it. He had nothing to do with the creation of Brocket 99.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I was reading on twitter a statistical package that took each games analytics for both teams, ran each game 50o times and predicted who would win each game. Game 2 had us at just over 50% but games 1, 3 and 4 had us over 70%. When you combine all 4 games together it had Winnipeg sweeping at under 5%. Games 1, 3 and 4 we were leading going into the third and game 2 we were tied going into the third. This was probably the weirdest sweep in NHL history with a high probability that we could have swept them as well if we got 1 bounce in each game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I wonder why Tippett decided to swap Puljujarvi with a guy who hasn't scored in 30-something games. All because of one missed pass?

Pulju had his best game in game 1. I love his play this season but his micro puck management in tight games, and as the series progressed was getting worse. I know he got banged up, not sure if it impacted his game,or getting to pucks or making plays. By 4th game for whatever reason he wasn't being as effective, and the Yama drop down to 4th line for some reason had him playing very good hockey.

I mean people blames Kassian being called up but that was to kick start his game, and it worked. you place playres up and down to get different looks and sometimes to get their game back.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I put this in a different thread but will put it here as well.

Jets had a combined 7 tips or deflections in the series and bagged 2 goals from it. Not insignificant. They got fantastic return, and 2 goals just from this parameter in what were tight games decided by one goal.

The Oilers conversely had 15 tips or deflections on shots on goal and Hellbuck came up with 14 of those, letting only one in, despite not seeing several of the pucks.

Next, Jets suddenly became shot blocking legends. They blocked at a higher rate than ANY club in the playoffs achieving 101blcks in only 4 games. This is 25 a game. In playoffs. The Oilers conversely made an average 69 shot blocks.

Oilers directed 178 shots, and the Jets only 125 in 5 on 5 play. A significant disparity, amounting to the Oilers generating 14 more shots per game than the Jets. Despite all this we get swept.

A few more teasers. Schiefele drew 2 calls in this series, McD zero, Drai one, (but Drai was also called for a slash of the variety that he took 10 times in the series)

Total calls were 11 penalties to Jets, 10 to the Oilers, so a classic "even up" scenario despite McD being a speed break player that breaks constantly, is hauled down constantly, or held, impeded, interfered. Picture as well an instance of Drai beating two Jets defenders, winning the puck despite being held, who then held his stick for 5 secs. No call. It typified the series. Gaetan Haas got penalized twice in the series on ghost infractions. he hardly played. It was textbook "lets call a penalty on this guy" Larsson got called for a solid D play, just rubbing out a Jet, that happens 100X a playoff game. Yama got called for simply grinding Ehlers to the boards, and was dumbstruck that it was a penalty call. His reaction was classic. "you're f***ing kidding me"

At what point will there start to be third party review of NHL officating and game management? The Oilers at this point should be paying for analytical studies of discrepancy in calls.

Heres something interesting. were it not for Yama (drew 4 calls) the Oilers would only have had 7 PP"s in the entire series with the top line only bagging one call the whole series. I mean its absolutely amazing considering how much the top line attacks and challenges. But it suggests that the NHL is also seduced by antecedent. Yama is more likely than Leon or Connor to fall down during an infraction (sheer physics) the bigger players are stronger on their feet. I mean I don't want Leon or Connor to start milking calls but once in awhile. Schiefele milked both of the penalties he drew. Ehlers another.

Interestingly Stanley got away with a highstick to Archibald (in the face) that elicited the meltdown. No call. of course..

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Following up on this. The broadcast showed a McDavid game highlight package during the scrape stoppage midway through the first OT. The first gif below was included where he says something to Jesse and then "my bad." No idea what it was about, could be related or not.

y9oafHj.gif

McDavid was fired up last night. He wanted to win bad (look at his reaction after Chiasson's goal). The highlight package ended just in time to show McDavid going down the bench trying to rally the team.

cfifgNm.gif

Thanks, I kind of liked finally seeing Connor get more engaged like that. He played his best game in game 4 because he was more fired up. He'll learn from it and what to do and not to with his emotions (I thought it was a bit harsh on Jesse but good he apologized). I've seen Kessel and Malks screaming at each other on the bench and Hornqvist and Crosby too. That happens in the intensity of the playoffs. I'd be more disappointed if Connor took game 4 laying down and not caring. But he has to show up like that from the drop of the puck in game 1.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Would love Larionov as coach. Highly intelligent coach could adapt well to the modern game.
Woodcroft, imo, would be a nice balance for the NA/NHL game and familiarity with current players in the organization. The other reason I see it as possible is the likely relationship between Holland and Larionov.

Edit: I didn't mean to link him, but Ronnberg looks like a good options as well.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Gord Miller convinced me, Hire Larionov as HC and Woodcroft as associate coach.

Larionov has ONE year as a head coach, and that's with juniors. And you want him running your team? I think I'd like a little more experience in that department, especially at the pro level.

CravenMH

Aug 6, 2020

Jets had a combined 7 tips or deflections in the series and bagged 2 goals from it. Not insignificant. They got fantastic return, and 2 goals just from this parameter in what were tight games decided by one goal.

The Oilers conversely had 15 tips or deflections on shots on goal and Hellbuck came up with 14 of those, letting only one in, despite not seeing several of the pucks.

Next, Jets suddenly became shot blocking legends. They blocked at a higher rate than ANY club in the playoffs achieving 101blcks in only 4 games. This is 25 a game. In playoffs. The Oilers conversely made an average 69 shot blocks.

Oilers directed 178 shots, and the Jets only 125 in 5 on 5 play. A significant disparity, amounting to the Oilers generating 14 more shots per game than the Jets. Despite all this we get swept.

A few more teasers. Schiefele drew 2 calls in this series, McD zero, Drai one, (but Drai was also called for a slash of the variety that he took 10 times in the series)

Total calls were 11 penalties to Jets, 10 to the Oilers, so a classic "even up" scenario despite McD being a speed break player that breaks constantly, is hauled down constantly, or held, impeded, interfered. Picture as well an instance of Drai beating two Jets defenders, winning the puck despite being held, who then held his stick for 5 secs. No call. It typified the series. Gaetan Haas got penalized twice in the series on ghost infractions. he hardly played. It was textbook "lets call a penalty on this guy" Larsson got called for a solid D play, just rubbing out a Jet, that happens 100X a playoff game. Yama got called for simply grinding Ehlers to the boards, and was dumbstruck that it was a penalty call. His reaction was classic. "you're f***ing kidding me"

At what point will there start to be third party review of NHL officating and game management? The Oilers at this point should be paying for analytical studies of discrepancy in calls.

Heres something interesting. were it not for Yama (drew 4 calls) the Oilers would only have had 7 PP"s in the entire series with the top line only bagging one call the whole series. I mean its absolutely amazing considering how much the top line attacks and challenges. But it suggests that the NHL is also seduced by antecedent. Yama is more likely than Leon or Connor to fall down during an infraction (sheer physics) the bigger players are stronger on their feet. I mean I don't want Leon or Connor to start milking calls but once in awhile. Schiefele milked both of the penalties he drew. Ehlers another.

Interestingly Stanley got away with a highstick to Archibald (in the face) that elicited the meltdown. No call. of course..
I'm just glad McD didn't get seriously injured from that knee. Should have been a major, was a textbook knee. Archie took a wicked slash to the stick/hands from Stanley on the same shift that he lost his shit on him.

CravenMH

Aug 6, 2020
Thanks, I kind of liked finally seeing Connor get more engaged like that. He played his best game in game 4 because he was more fired up. He'll learn from it and what to do and not to with his emotions (I thought it was a bit harsh on Jesse but good he apologized). I've seen Kessel and Malks screaming at each other on the bench and Hornqvist and Crosby too. That happens in the intensity of the playoffs. I'd be more disappointed if Connor took game 4 laying down and not caring. But he has to show up like that from the drop of the puck in game 1.
Yup. He should have scrapped Pionk when he had the offer during that scrum early in the series. I know it's not a popular opinion but I stand by it. Nothing would fire up his team more than them seeing him do that, whether he'd won or lost.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Good post, though to on this one you'd be better to look at it as periods. Remember, they effectively played a full game's l worth of time in OT.

Though good point on the oil just coming up ice cold on deflections.

One player I wish Tippett didn't take out of the lineup was Neal. He was actually looking solid to finish the season, and is still the best guy the team has in close around the net. Not to mention he's one of the few with a release that could score from the outside.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008

Gord Miller convinced me, Hire Larionov as HC and Woodcroft as associate coach.

I felt Larionov's philosophy at the Juniors was good, to emphasize individual talents. However, the team was very underwhelming with some weird roster deployment sometimes too.

Grabbing coaches who do well at the World Juniors scares me right now because of how bad the Habs look under Ducharme, and Ducharme won Gold, nevermind Larionov.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I'll dig a little deeper on those deflections though. We all know that every time you throw a puck at the net, there is a chance it goes in, intentionally or by accident. One thing I noticed is that the Jet dmen seemed to be really good at finding seams to get the puck to the net (or we were not so good at allowing those seams). Not to mention, they have some big boys clogging the front. Contrarily, our dmen had difficulty finding an opening to the net (the best guy we have at it, was in the PB, but let's not go there now). And if you continually get pucks through to the net, eventually , shit is going to happen.

Penalties for sure didn't go our way, but then every team that loses has probably used that as one of the reasons they are golfing.

Bottom line, is that we have 2 players that are ultra elite consistent solid scorers, beyond what Winnipeg has. But the Jets have a big handful of fast skilled player of varying degrees, and that depth is what eventually killed us. Shut down McDrai and you have a great chance to win. Much more difficult to shut down 6 or 7 guys. I mean, who do you want coming in with a great chance on your goalie in OT, Devon Shore or Kyle Connor? That's your difference.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Good post, though to on this one you'd be better to look at it as periods. Remember, they effectively played a full game's l worth of time in OT.

One player I wish Tippett didn't take out of the lineup was Neal. He was actually looking solid to finish the season, and is still the best guy the team has in close around the net. Not to mention he's one of the few with a release that could score from the outside.
Correct about Neal. The guy is still a one shot threat, and good at deflections, and that's what you need in the playoffs.

CravenMH

Aug 6, 2020
Correct about Neal. The guy is still a one shot threat, and good at deflections, and that's what you need in the playoffs.
Yeah it's too bad about Neal. I'd much rather have had him on the PP than Chaisson but he was a total liability in those 2 games he played. He's just too damn slow. I couldn't fault Tippett for changing him out. Even tho I picked him in our family hockey pool lol.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'll dig a little deeper on those deflections though. We all know that every time you throw a puck at the net, there is a chance it goes in, intentionally or by accident. One thing I noticed is that the Jet dmen seemed to be really good at finding seams to get the puck to the net (or we were not so good at allowing those seams). Not to mention, they have some big boys clogging the front. Contrarily, our dmen had difficulty finding an opening to the net (the best guy we have at it, was in the PB, but let's not go there now). And if you continually get pucks through to the net, eventually , shit is going to happen.

Penalties for sure didn't go our way, but then every team that loses has probably used that as one of the reasons they are golfing.

Bottom line, is that we have 2 players that are ultra elite consistent solid scorers, beyond what Winnipeg has. But the Jets have a big handful of fast skilled player of varying degrees, and that depth is what eventually killed us. Shut down McDrai and you have a great chance to win. Much more difficult to shut down 6 or 7 guys. I mean, who do you want coming in with a great chance on your goalie in OT, Devon Shore or Kyle Connor? That's your difference.

Well heres a difference. Schiefele compares himself to Connor McDavid. He was picked in the same draft as RNH, but LATER,at 7th. So who does Nuge compare himself to considering he's dropped off so far. If Nuge was even comparable to Schiefele, if he was even in the same convo as him a decade later than that changes things as well.

5 seasons in a row Scheifele has had PPG or better seasons. Nuge hasn't done it once.

In anycase the Oilers had 15 shots that were tipped or deflected. The Jets had 7. The Jets weren't all that great at getting shots few either, just that they had much more luck the few times they did. The Jets were better at blocking shots, which I mentioned. But one of those blocks was on a Connor McDavid open net look where the jets defender was looking the other way, threw up his hands in desperation, and the puck hit his arm. Thats the kind of luck Jets had in this series. I mean they had More blocks per 60mins than any club in the playoffs.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The Jets had the highest rate of blocked shots as any team in the playoffs. So it doesn't matter how many OT's

It wasn't just that the Oiler were coming cold on deflections, it was that Hellbuck was stopping deflected shots he didn't even see, and somehow made those stops. I mean the Oilers were good at deflecting pucks on target. They only got the Khaira goal for all their trouble. That was the ONLY ONE instance of puck luck we had in 4 games despite dominating the play. (the shot attempts demonstrate this domination) The Oilers had an average of 14 more shot attempts than the Jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad