Fire Luke Richardson

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I know most of this thread was complain but I thought the lines were way better then what Luke normally does.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Do people want us running 4 forwards on one line or something? We have 2 top 6 players on this team (Bedard and *Kurashev) (*debatable)

The only other top 9 players on the team are AA, and *Dickenson (*debatable), and Reichel is playing with 1 of them (AA) and Slaggert is playing with the other (*Dickenson)

I think the lines are fine, Donato is playing really well, so you bump him up to reward him. Reichel hasn't done much to deserve that bump, and Slaggert is still getting his feet wet. There's no good combination of forwards you can have, and the only time the lines were set up where people liked them, they got blown out by a dog shit team.

Foligno, Bedard, Kurashev just works, for whatever reason. Leave it the f*** alone. It's idiotic that he has to just keep f***ing with it. Donato is going to be a disaster on that line. He just doesn't have the IQ or talent to play with Bedard.

Line 2 should probably be: Tyler Johnson, AA, and Reichel.
Line 3, which will be your matchup line: Slaggert, Dickinson, Donato
Line 4 is the rest of the garbage. It doesn't really matter what you do here, because none of these forwards belong in the NHL. Line 1 gets the 20 or so minutes. Line 2 and 3 get 15-20 each, and line 4 plays when the other 3 lines are gassed. Move guys around line 2 and 3 as warranted.

The problem is, he f***ing loves plugs like Entwistle, Raddysh(I have no idea why), and Donato. So he "rewards" them by moving them up in the lineup, when they have no business there.

Line combos really aren't rocket science.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Foligno, Bedard, Kurashev just works, for whatever reason. Leave it the f*** alone. It's idiotic that he has to just keep f***ing with it. Donato is going to be a disaster on that line. He just doesn't have the IQ or talent to play with Bedard.

Line 2 should probably be: Tyler Johnson, AA, and Reichel.
Line 3, which will be your matchup line: Slaggert, Dickinson, Donato
Line 4 is the rest of the garbage. It doesn't really matter what you do here, because none of these forwards belong in the NHL. Line 1 gets the 20 or so minutes. Line 2 and 3 get 15-20 each, and line 4 plays when the other 3 lines are gassed. Move guys around line 2 and 3 as warranted.

The problem is, he f***ing loves plugs like Entwistle, Raddysh(I have no idea why), and Donato. So he "rewards" them by moving them up in the lineup, when they have no business there.

Line combos really aren't rocket science.
I don't see a problem with experimenting with different lines. It really has no bearing on anything moving forward. Reward guys for playing well by moving them up the lineup. I don't have a problem with how they are set up, but I do see a problem with having all your shitty players on one line.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I don't see a problem with experimenting with different lines. It really has no bearing on anything moving forward. Reward guys for playing well by moving them up the lineup. I don't have a problem with how they are set up, but I do see a problem with having all your shitty players on one line.

I only give a shit about the guys that have a future with this team. So it's annoying as shit to see guys who don't, constantly given opportunities that should be going to the younger guys.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
I only give a shit about the guys that have a future with this team. So it's annoying as shit to see guys who don't, constantly given opportunities that should be going to the younger guys.
would you venture your opinion on what young guy should get a shot on bedard's left wing? the whole point here was supposed to be that you wanted foligno there.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Why would we spread out the 4 guys who probably max out as 4th liners on all 4 lines? Its like he tried to make the lines as bad as possible aside from the Dickenson line. And even that line I'd like to see someone other than Anderson at RW.
A big problem is we only have one Foligno.

I do agree about Joey though. No way he should be anywhere near the top 9 forwards, even on this team.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

I do agree about Joey though. No way he should be anywhere near the top 9 forwards, even on this team.
I agree with you on most everything but Joey Anderson. He’s far from a problem and actually is able to produce at a third line clip while not being deficient elsewhere.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
What younger guys have deserved a promotion? Not Reichel, and Slaggert is still getting his feet wet.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Youth is not a skill. It's laughable to think Reichel, in particular has gotten any sort of raw deal. Every "laughable line combo" poster always seems to think he should have a perma-Top 6 role in some theoretical "non-laughable" line combo with the current roster makeup.

But I get it, fans want a country club, no accountability atmosphere where being young means a full season in the top line. Contribute nothing in terms of offense, defense, board play? That's ok because the plugs are also bad, so be as bad as you want, Lukas! The Hawks are one of three teams in the entire League that is as favorable for a young player to be on right now, along with San Jose and Anaheim. Even Columbus gives a player like Kent Johnson a hard time. And yet still, it's "oh poor Reichel", "poor Korchinski", "poor Isaak Phillips" (yes this was a thing) because a couple veterans... exist. So it should be... even easier I guess.

The 776 minutes of ice time to do well... anything... aren't enough and something something Taylor Raddysh. Tied with Reese Johnson in terms of Even Strength 5 on 5 points per 60? That doesn't matter, you're a special little guy for being a former mid-1st round pick and default second best forward prospect before the season. Maybe if you stick him on a first line for four more year he'll grow into a league average 2nd liner for some other team for a couple seasons and it will be time well spent.

I say, if you can't beat out Tyler Johnson for a particular role, that's a you problem, not a Coach problem. You gotta earn your spot at some point, if it can't come when your competition is Tyler Johnson, it won't be much better in three years when there are hopefully better players around.

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
What veterans have "deserved" a promotion? Raddysh? Entwistle? Tyler Johnson has "deserved" power play time? Lmao
Johnson has done way more than Reichel has, Entwhistle has been in the bottom of the lineup all year, and Donato earned his current promotion. Raddysh has played basically the same amount of time 5 on 5 as Reichel has, but is relied on for PKing, because he's better at defending than Reichel.

You can't have all your shitty players on one line, or even on 2 lines. It's just too bad we only have 3 or 4 players that aren't shitty.

Last edited:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Some just want to give young players everything handed to them, not earned. Just look at the Reichel situation. He's got plenty of time and chances and just couldn't make the best out of it. Now he needs to earn this back.

That's simple if you ask me. Earn it, improve and show that you do everything to take it back - not get it handed because you are younger than others.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

I just don't understand how you can consistently crap on Joey and defend garbage like Tinordi and Entwistle. Anderson leads the team in plus minus. He's far from being the problem.

scorehawks

Feb 13, 2021
Speaking of #58, notice how often he misses hitting the opponent or comes away with the puck in board battles.
He is really good at pointing up when the puck hits the netting or goes out of play.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Youth is not a skill. It's laughable to think Reichel, in particular has gotten any sort of raw deal. Every "laughable line combo" poster always seems to think he should have a perma-Top 6 role in some theoretical "non-laughable" line combo with the current roster makeup.
They moved him to center and surrounded him with crap and didn't stick to an plan for a meaningful sample size for the first few dozen games of the year. Then to keep cutting good shifts. The things the Hawks could control to the benefit of the player they did not control well.

It's a bad template from management or coaches either way...especially when they keep preaching patience.

Reichel was not set up to succeed, we can hammer him for the rest and not muscling through or whatever. Everything after the start is on him, but the plan given to him sucked/failed in design or execution.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
They moved him to center
He wanted to move to Center... for the last time, he played there a lot in the AHL.
and surrounded him with crap
Welcome to the 2023-24 Blackhawks. You get the benefit of a soft roster to crack. Most young guys would take that tradeoff rather than hoping for 3 injuries to play 8 minutes a game.
and didn't stick to an plan for a meaningful sample size for the first few dozen games of the year.
What would be a "meaningful sample size" before a poorly performing player is allowed to be demoted in your eyes?
Then to keep cutting good shifts.
He played bad, they were patient, patient, patient and yes eventually reduced his ice time.
The things the Hawks could control to the benefit of the player they did not control well.
Like what? Not giving him a full 82 games of top line time to continue to suck?
It's a bad template from management or coaches either way...especially when they keep preaching patience.
Reichel has had more patience than any other player in the NHL. Find me a young player that has been given a longer leash to do absolutely nothing of value in any area this season.

Reichel was not set up to succeed,
Reichel did not succeed, blaming the situation is straight up excuse making. Every other player in the League has to earn their spot and show why they stick. Reichel hasn't had to much of that.
we can hammer him for the rest and not muscling through or whatever. Everything after the start is on him, but the plan given to him sucked/failed in design or execution.
Reichel was given every opportunity. Any blame of the "plan" or "design" is just straight up excuse making and wanting to look every which way other than the player himself. He produces in the AHL, so does Trey Fix-Wolansky... at some point you have it or you don't. His book is not written as he is still quite young but to blame anybody but Lukas Reichel for Lukas Reichel's struggles is absurd and shows how much this fanbase insists on baby'ing him. Once better talent comes through the system, people will feel silly for it.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
He wanted to move to Center... for the last time, he played there a lot in the AHL.

Welcome to the 2023-24 Blackhawks. You get the benefit of a soft roster to crack. Most young guys would take that tradeoff rather than hoping for 3 injuries to play 8 minutes a game.

What would be a "meaningful sample size" before a poorly performing player is allowed to be demoted in your eyes?

He played bad, they were patient, patient, patient and yes eventually reduced his ice time.

Like what? Not giving him a full 82 games of top line time to continue to suck?

Reichel has had more patience than any other player in the NHL. Find me a young player that has been given a longer leash to do absolutely nothing of value in any area this season.

Reichel did not succeed, blaming the situation is straight up excuse making. Every other player in the League has to earn their spot and show why they stick. Reichel hasn't had to much of that.

Reichel was given every opportunity. Any blame of the "plan" or "design" is just straight up excuse making and wanting to look every which way other than the player himself. He produces in the AHL, so does Trey Fix-Wolansky... at some point you have it or you don't. His book is not written as he is still quite young but to blame anybody but Lukas Reichel for Lukas Reichel's struggles is absurd and shows how much this fanbase insists on baby'ing him. Once better talent comes through the system, people will feel silly for it.
Lots of players want lots of things. It's not the player's decision

He was down to the 4th line shifts by December, a quarter of the season in. I think he had about 13 games at center. Not enough time.

Alex Nylander had a sample size, kind of a comp. JC wasn't the answer but at least you understood what he was trying to do, and it that case he kept tweaking until they had definitive proof the guy wasn't going to work. It was a painful but patient approach.

Reichel has been so bad he could be dumped to waivers justifiably...if they stuck to a working plan for him. Instead we're going to play this game with him for a while.

I didn't absolve Reichel of blame, he couldn't do it. The org also botched his roll out this year. Both things are true. The problem is we're not very far along knowing if he's salvageable or not. This was a good year to commit to the kids and alot of time was wasted. Next year there has to be another chapter of "maybe Reichel can do this" instead of just moving along or committing to him.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Anyone watching his lineup mistakes night in and night out who defends him really needs to explain how he is qualified to continue coaching an NHL team

Last edited:
Reactions: Giovi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad