Fire Hextall

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
I've said here before - hockey is a culture sport, not an asset collection sport.

I fear that Hextall has gone too far in the asset collection direction. In doing so, he's set us back - potentially immensely - by prioritizing contract/asset management over hockey management.

Yes, you need both in the modern game - but I argue for a balance.

This offseason is the test of whether he understands that he may have gone too far. I want to see hockey trades, not asset management trades.

And I don't want to see another second of mutts like Filppula, Lehtera or Brian Elliott getting prime ice with my team.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
I've said here before - hockey is a culture sport, not an asset collection sport.

I fear that Hextall has gone too far in the asset collection direction. In doing so, he's set us back - potentially immensely - by prioritizing contract/asset management over hockey management.

This offseason is the test of whether he understands that he may have gone too far. I want to see hockey trades, not asset management trades.

And I don't want to see another second of mutts like Filppula, Lehtera or Brian Elliott getting prime ice with my team.
Great post. Yeah hextall has done a great job moving bad contracts.. but then he goes out and finds other bad contracts to replace them like Letehra, Umberger, and Weise. Then he actually keeps those cap dumps on the roster blocking his young talent and making the team worse. It is a complete joke that the bottom 6 has been a tire fire his entire reign as gm. Literally the easiest spot on the team to improve and it has sucked for 4 straight years. Speaks volumes towards his ability.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He didn't seek out Lehtera or Umberger. Both were cap dumps in good trades.

If we're going to complain can we be accurate at least?

They're also not blocking young talent. Who 100% should be on the Flyers right now that's being blocked by a 4th line center playing 9 minutes per night?

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016

They're also not blocking young talent. Who 100% should be on the Flyers right now that's being blocked by a 4th line center playing 9 minutes per night?
Cap dumps aren't put on the roster and played significantly. Hextall seeked them out and thought they would contribute. A complete failure in player evaluation. Someone else said it but you really are deadhead for hextall :laugh: :laugh:

Reactions: Ruck Over

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Yeah nak led the AHL team at 5 on 5 scoring but he definitely wouldn't be an improvement over that trash hextall just happened to get in a trade and had no responsibility for whatsoever. He definitely wouldn't improve getting NHL time either... Seems like he is a young guy blocked by those irrelevant trade add ons.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Who 100% should be on the Flyers right now that's being blocked by a 4th line center playing 9 minutes per night?

Arguably, Brayden Schenn. Or a good FA. Or an acquisition.

Instead, we have a Process GM who is stockpiling futures. If he turns around this offseason and gets real - ie makes moves that send the message, "we are ready to complete right now" - I'm on board. If not, I'll be disappointed.

Reactions: 46zone

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Cap dumps aren't put on the roster and played significantly. Hextall seeked them out and thought they would contribute. A complete failure in player evaluation. Someone else said it but you really are deadhead for hextall :laugh: :laugh:
If you don't think those guys were cap dumps I encourage you to find a different sport to hazily pay attention to.

And this has nothing to do with Hextall. This is common sense. Try again.

You guys are so far off in emotion territory that anyone who's actually in the middle is seen as the opposite extreme. Accusing me of being a Hextall fanboy is the lazy shot of someone lacking logic.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006

They were dumps but I do think Hextall liked them as players.

The Flyers need to replace Filpulla, Lethera, Manning, MacDonald, Elliott and Read this offseason. Hextall can easilly do that with a combination of bringing guys up, young guys in the nhl taking on bigger roles, and acquiring a couple established good players from else where. He has the players, assets, and cap space to make that all happen. Nothing he has said this year suggests any of that is going to happen though.

Its,a big offseason for them...I just domt trust Hextall to do what needs to be done. Hes too stubborn.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Arguably, Brayden Schenn. Or a good FA. Or an acquisition.

Instead, we have a Process GM who is stockpiling futures. If he turns around this offseason and gets real - ie makes moves that send the message, "we are ready to complete right now" - I'm on board. If not, I'll be disappointed.
Brayden Schenn is being blocked on this roster by the guy who came back in the trade that sent him to a different team?

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh? Explain?

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Brayden Schenn is being blocked on this roster by the guy who came back in the trade that sent him to a different team?

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh? Explain?

I would have liked Hextall to either retain or acquire players who help the team win now, rather than ice bums with expiring contracts.

Clearer?

Reactions: hatcher

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC

Not sure I want him making any trades anymore. You are so on with your assessment tough.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
No, you didn't explain how Schenn is being blocked.

I'm gonna pretend you're not just being difficult.

I would have liked that Hextall either a) retained Schenn, or b) sought to acquire a real replacement for his lost offense rather than being content with two washed up dogs like 15 and 51 to fill his skates.

Instead he's chosen c), which means we send a message to this group of players: "we want to win tomorrow. Don't break a sweat today."

Reactions: 46zone

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Top core are the problems also. G,v, Simmonds look worse than ever. Slow and cooked when the games get tough and the checking is harder and faster.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Top core are the problems also. G,v, Simmonds look worse than ever. Slow and cooked when the games get tough and the checking is harder and faster.

Yeah, to an extent (particularly Voracek, who I've long defended but MAN it's getting tough) - but this is the Hextall thread, and other than shopping 17 this offseason there's not much you'd like to see him do there.

I am specifically annoyed with how he's utterly neglected the bottom six. Hell, can you imagine what this team's second line would look like had he not lucked into Patrick? It'd be a train wreck!

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm gonna pretend you're not just being difficult.

I would have liked that Hextall either a) retained Schenn, or b) sought to acquire a real replacement for his lost offense rather than being content with two washed up dogs like 15 and 51 to fill his skates.

Instead he's chosen c), which means we send a message to this group of players: "we want to win tomorrow. Don't break a sweat today."
I'm not the one being difficult.

You still haven't answered my question. I didn't ask what you wanted in that trade or to happen after that trade.

I asked which player should be in the lineup right now, but isn't because Lehtera is currently taking his spot.

You said Schenn. So explain how opening a hole by benching/buying-out Lehtera gets Schenn into this lineup. You're either dodging the question or had no clue what I was asking from the start.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011

IIRC he didn’t seek out Lehtera. St. Louis sought out Schenn and the trade happened. Umberger though was specifically targeted. Can’t find links right now but that is how I remember it.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
IIRC he didn’t seek out Lehtera. St. Louis sought out Schenn and the trade happened. Umberger though was specifically targeted. Can’t find links right now but that is how I remember it.
The 2017 St Louis 1st round pick (Frost) is what the Flyers targeted.

So they got two 1sts for Schenn, but had to take back Lehtera to make room (otherwise Schenn wouldn't have fit their cap). It's just that simple.

Umberger was also a cap dump. Hartnell's contract had to go, so we took on a worse player on a better contract so we could buy him out. Of course when you add a player the GM isn't going to say in the interview that he didn't actually want him and he's going to get rid of him...

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
The 2017 St Louis 1st round pick (Frost) is what the Flyers targeted.

So they got two 1sts for Schenn, but had to take back Lehtera to make room. It's just that simple.

Umberger was also a cap dump. Hartnell's contract had to go, so we took on a worse player on a better contract so we could buy him out. Of course when you add a player the GM isn't going to say in the interview that he didn't actually want him and he's going to get rid of him...

Cap dumps are fine but when they take up permanent roster spots when you undoubtedly have better options (bc basically anyone is better) sitting in the minors, that's when they become a huge issue

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
I'm not the one being difficult.

You still haven't answered my question. I didn't ask what you wanted in that trade or to happen after that trade.

I asked which player should be in the lineup right now, but isn't because Lehtera is currently taking his spot.

You said Schenn. So explain how opening a hole by benching/buying-out Lehtera gets Schenn into this lineup. You're either dodging the question or had no clue what I was asking from the start.

I'd just rather not converse with you, if you don't mind.

I take it you disagree and admire Hextall's asset collecting. The Schenn trade certainly netted two attractive assets, along with the negative one.

My opinion is that we're seeing in real time that in this sport, trades which are positive on paper may have intangible or flow-on effects. Because hockey is a culture sport.

You disagree, that's cool. Let's see what other people think

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Cap dumps are fine but when they take up permanent roster spots when you undoubtedly have better options (bc basically anyone is better) sitting in the minors, that's when they become a huge issue
Right.

Which is why Hakstols use of them is an issue and Hextall allowing Hakstol free reign to use them is the other issue.

But that's what should be complained about, not an imaginary problem where Hextall is going after those players because he likes them.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Yeah, to an extent (particularly Voracek, who I've long defended but MAN it's getting tough) - but this is the Hextall thread, and other than shopping 17 this offseason there's not much you'd like to see him do there.

I am specifically annoyed with how he's utterly neglected the bottom six. Hell, can you imagine what this team's second line would look like had he not lucked into Patrick? It'd be a train wreck!
Yep. Hexy hasn't done much.

Reactions: The Palm Isle

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I'd just rather not converse with you, if you don't mind.

I take it you disagree and admire Hextall's asset collecting. The Schenn trade certainly netted two attractive assets, along with the negative one.

My opinion is that we're seeing in real time that in this sport, trades which are positive on paper may have intangible or flow-on effects. Because hockey is a culture sport.

You disagree, that's cool. Let's see what other people think
Hexy shouldn't be here for the next part of putting this team together.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Right.

Which is why Hakstols use of them is an issue and Hextall allowing Hakstol free reign to use them is the other issue.

But that's what should be complained about, not an imaginary problem where Hextall is going after those players because he likes them.

Well Flip and Weise he did go after, so we can't really ignore that not all of the waste on this team are from cap dumps. Some were sought out and signed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad