Fire Deboer

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
So it's basically a foregone conclusion that PDB won't be fired this season. But let's reframe this instead to what will it take for PDB to be fired? In-season, I think it would take ~2 months of losing hockey. Something like 10-20 which is basically October's record extended to the next 3 months. Although this scenario probably just means they just keep PDB for the year and let Ottawa have that top 10 pick. I think this is all unlikely to happen but I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. So lets say that doesn't happen, would a disappointing playoff run do the trick or do we have to flat out miss the playoffs for him to be fired over the summer? Does another season of sub .900 goaltending do it? BTW it's nuts that this organization is confident with their starting goalie likely posting back to back sub .900 seasons without making relevant changes.

Reactions: themelkman

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
So it's basically a foregone conclusion that PDB won't be fired this season. But let's reframe this instead to what will it take for PDB to be fired? In-season, I think it would take ~2 months of losing hockey. Something like 10-20 which is basically October's record extended to the next 3 months. Although this scenario probably just means they just keep PDB for the year and let Ottawa have that top 10 pick. I think this is all unlikely to happen but I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. So lets say that doesn't happen, would a disappointing playoff run do the trick or do we have to flat out miss the playoffs for him to be fired over the summer? Does another season of sub .900 goaltending do it? BTW it's nuts that this organization is confident with their starting goalie likely posting back to back sub .900 seasons without making relevant changes.
All I know is I have no confidence in the team as is, and I find myself more often than not embarrassed by the team than entertained :(

The wins from a coaching change would help, and maybe provide some confidence, but the forwards still need help.

Reactions: Sandisfan

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
A first round exit is likely all it will take, or the continued regression in attendance

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
I’m not giving up hope, yet. They just suffered a fairly embarrassing loss at home to the Caps. Now they’re facing another east coast gauntlet. If they go 0-4 on this upcoming trip, putting them at 0-5 to start December, there could be a chance DW would make a change based off of where they are in the standings at that point.

I know it’s highly unlikely, but I’m trying to give myself some hope.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
My worst fear is DW overreacted and trades a bunch of our prospects for 1 year rentals and gritty defensemen and ignores the system issues that PDB has as a coach

Reactions: WSS11 and Sandisfan

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
How can any NHL team go 0-20 on the power play. That has to be a concern, right? I don't think it's fine, as Deboer said a few weeks ago.
0-20 is like a flashback to the Daryl Sutter Sharks... With the talent on this team you'd think they score a couple times in 20 just on accident. It's almost like they have to be trying not to score. We're sure they've shooting on the right goalie? I mean if both teams were shooting on Jones I might be able to understand his stat line...:laugh:

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I can count the number of Stanley cup contenders that the sharks have beaten in regulation on one hand...

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
If we don’t make the playoffs, DeBoer is gonna get fired and Couture will lose the C. Probably trade some of these guys with 3 team NTCs.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
0-20 is like a flashback to the Daryl Sutter Sharks... With the talent on this team you'd think they score a couple times in 20 just on accident. It's almost like they have to be trying not to score. We're sure they've shooting on the right goalie? I mean if both teams were shooting on Jones I might be able to understand his stat line...:laugh:

the zone entry attempts are just so painful. You’ve got Erik Karlsson. If he comes in with a head full of steam teams are going to back off the blue line. For some reason, that’s just too complicated so Spott has him drop it back to someone else to turn it over at the blue line. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
If we don’t make the playoffs, DeBoer is gonna get fired and Couture will lose the C. Probably trade some of these guys with 3 team NTCs.

If they fire Deboer I highly doubt they strip Cooch of the C.

It would be a really bad look to do that, and Deboer being fired would be acknowledgment that he was the issue not Cooch’s leadership.

If the team tanks under a new coach, then maybe they look at finding a new leader, but even then I dunno.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
How just how in the world is he still the coach?

Wilson needs to stop sleeping on the job. We do not have a 1st round pick so his master plan that worked so well 4 years ago will not work this time.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
How just how in the world is he still the coach?

Wilson needs to stop sleeping on the job. We do not have a 1st round pick so his master plan that worked so well 4 years ago will not work this time.

Well you answered you question with your next line. Its basically on DW. He is choosing to ride and die with PDB. For all the good that DW has done with this organization, him being conservative with coaching decisions has really hurt this team. First by holding on to TMac for too long and now doing the same with PDB.

This team has way too many holes in it to really fill with trades this season. I think we need a new voice in the room who can help Burns and Jones to get a bit back to how they were about 2 years back. PDB is just not going to get it done. Realistically, our best chance this year is to make the playoffs even if it is just to make sure the pick traded to Ottawa is not a lottery pick. Starting next year, refresh, go with what we have and use the top pick in 2021 to re-build the team.

But I just don't see DW firing PDB mid-season. I am just hoping the players can somehow carry us to the playoffs.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
If they don't wanna fire Deboer at least fire Hedberg and Spott. Shake things up. Jones and Dell have gotten worse every year so Hedberg clearly sucks at his job. We all know about Spott.

Football teams have changed coordinators without firing the head coach. If they suck at their "specialty" then find someone else who can do better.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
PDB definitely won’t get fired now with Simek going down again. That’ll be the excuse to give him another chance.
I was so sure we would fire PDB last year with the poor start we had till we turned things around. I am guessing DW is counting on something similar. Though this year the landscape of the Pacific (and West) is very different. Outside of the Kings and Ducks, it is going to be a race to be the top-3 in the division. And there is a very little chance that we beat a Central team for the Wild Card spot.

I was really expecting teams like Arizona, Edmonton and Vancouver to fall off by now but the division has so much parity (or sucks) that they are managing to keep pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad