Fire Deboer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
The Sharks are a “family” organization. If there is a way to avoid a firing they take it. Look at Tim Burke.

plus, I don’t think Doug will fire PDB in season, without having the time to really search for a replacement. Doug has said numerous times, its better to be slow and deliberate than rushed and make a mistake. Bob Boughner could be next man up, but I presume he is too entrenched with the current group.

This year isn’t on Pete though. I mean, okay, it is. I think this roster can sneak into a play off spot given the relative weakness of the Pacific division. But I don’t think anyone, especially the the front office expected how well Edmonton and Arizona were gonna be. Even Vancouver and Minnesota. But that’s the point, I don’t think Pete is really as to blame as Doug Wilson is. I think everyone knew this season was gonna be a bit rough, and the front office was just hoping that things would go their way. Now that it hasn’t, I don’t think it’s entirely far to put the blame squarely on Pete DeBoer for not single handedly saving the season.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The Sharks are a “family” organization. If there is a way to avoid a firing they take it. Look at Tim Burke.

plus, I don’t think Doug will fire PDB in season, without having the time to really search for a replacement. Doug has said numerous times, its better to be slow and deliberate than rushed and make a mistake. Bob Boughner could be next man up, but I presume he is too entrenched with the current group.

This year isn’t on Pete though. I mean, okay, it is. I think this roster can sneak into a play off spot given the relative weakness of the Pacific division. But I don’t think anyone, especially the the front office expected how well Edmonton and Arizona were gonna be. Even Vancouver and Minnesota. But that’s the point, I don’t think Pete is really as to blame as Doug Wilson is. I think everyone knew this season was gonna be a bit rough, and the front office was just hoping that things would go their way. Now that it hasn’t, I don’t think it’s entirely far to put the blame squarely on Pete DeBoer for not single handedly saving the season.

Blame is between DW and PDB for sure. Despite our crap play this season, we are still only 3 points out of a playoff spot. I would be shocked if DW fires PDB with us still being in the 'race'. If we do end up falling out of the race, I think its it is going to be too late in the season and DW might decide to 'be deliberate' in his search next season.

So basically, it wouldn't matter if DW were to fire PDB mid-season because we would be out of the playoff race. It sucks but that is just how I see it playing out.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia

The roster is not bad. DW should be held responsible for not getting rid of Hedberg, or fixing the goalies.

PDB should be held responsible for his awful strategies and systems. They do not work, and were shown to be failing down the stretch last season. Luck got the team through the playoffs.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
The roster is not bad. DW should be held responsible for not getting rid of Hedberg, or fixing the goalies.

PDB should be held responsible for his awful strategies and systems. They do not work, and were shown to be failing down the stretch last season. Luck got the team through the playoffs.
Agreed, I don't think it's a great roster but it's a roster that should be able to play a structured defensive game. What's sad is that they do it literally every game on the PK

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Living in Australia, most games are played during the day when I'm at work. Usually I have no issues getting home and watching the games, win or lose. This season I really can't be bothered and will watch other games.

This team is systematically bad.

I'm also just not enjoying watching Sharks hockey this year. It's bland, and almost repetitive at this point. It's been obvious that this hasn't been working for a while now.

Reactions: The Ice Hockey Dude

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
It's getting late awe-fully early, again. No wins this month and getting smoked in Fla 12 to 2 is not
a good sign.

1) Feels like we are the same team as last year with less goal scoring. Still giving up to many goals
and now we can't score enough to catch up. Pavs and his leadership / 38 goals are not coming back in the form of a current rostered player this season, i just don't see it with the current dudes or AHL prospect. WTF!

2) the team has focused on better defense, looks like a fail this month. The story is getting old pretty
fast and i'm not clear why they aren't more serious about working harder to keep the puck out of our net.
It's a f***ing systems game, you commit to the system and you can get success. I've noticed Jones and Dell *trying* to make saves w/o enough success so i can't blame them 100% here for all of this. Which brings me to...

3) Regarding changes to the coaching staff, wasn't Zettler let go about this time last year about when
the team started to play better down the stretch. While one can state cause and effect... or that this worked i'm not sure it's the answer this time. I really think DW needs to let PDB go pretty soon.
Not clear to me who would replace him that's any better.

Reactions: Sandisfan

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
I'm also just not enjoying watching Sharks hockey this year. It's bland, and almost repetitive at this point. It's been obvious that this hasn't been working for a while now.

Me three. Half the roster shouldn't look like they forgot how to skate and shoot. But win or lose, it's mostly the same tactics next game.

On the plus side, the Sharks will eventually run into a string of teams that can't out-hit or out-coach them, and we'll put this nasty streak business behind us . . .

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
It took Doug 7 years to mutually part ways with McLellan. I’m always impressed by how much faith he puts in his coaches and how willing he is to waste the prime years of players’ careers. Without winning a cup, Deboer has already passed his expiration date as the Sharks coach. We’re watching a wasted season right now. Same stagnant system, no alterations to help team defense, to insulate the goalies, to alter the offensive system to better fit the team personnel. It’s just insanity.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Ok, here are some new head coach ideas. Hitchcock, Blysma, Caryle... they have won cups and i don't think are abusive. Bogner could be interm coach as he has NHL coaching experience.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
If DW finally decides to help the team by being proactive and firing Pistol, he needs to follow through with letting Spott, Hedberg, and Barr go as well.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Ok, here are some new head coach ideas. Hitchcock, Blysma, Caryle... they have won cups and i don't think are abusive. Bogner could be interm coach as he has NHL coaching experience.

While I think anyone at this point would be an improvement, how much of a culture change would it really be by replacing the head coach with just one of his assistants?

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
While I think anyone at this point would be an improvement, how much of a culture change would it really be by replacing the head coach with just one of his assistants?

i also some what agree. On the other side he knows the players and perhaps the problem to be solved.
This is why i say interm for the season - see how he does, etc.

tahoesharksfan

Old Fart
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
I'm down for Boog now, getting pretty tired of watching the dismal performances this group has been putting on under PDB. No one's a bigger fan than I but it's just painful watching this squad right now!

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
Since DW took over as GM in 2003, the sharks have had only 3 coaching changes. I don't have the time to look at the totals of the other teams around the league, but I'm guessing the Sharks would be at the top for fewest amount of coaching changes. One of DW's biggest mistakes was holding on to Todd for too long, looks like he's about to make the same mistake with PDB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad