Fire AV, Fire Sather. This is a bad hockey team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
No idea why the Sabres would do that, but I'd pass. Vanek is likely going to go to Minnesota in the summer, and I'd want a return that can stay with the club beyond this season if I was moving Girardi.

Send him to the Leafs for Gardiner and Biggs. A kid that can play now, and who fits the transition game we've been playing, and a kid who can help Hartford and possibly develop into that aggressive 3rd line power-winger we've been lacking for years.

This is what I would really like to see.

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
if we are not "contenders" by the deadline and our most important player is not locked up, trading Girardi is going to be the least of our worries.

just sayin

I have been thinking more and more that the Rangers need to let Hank walk and get what they can for him.

He is already at peak or peaked. He is on the other side of 30. He will be looking for a LOT of $$ and in the modern NHL I don't think having a lot of money tied up in your goalie is a good idea.

He has been everything to this Organization but I think the ship has sailed on his opportunity to win it all here. I cant see paying him 8 or 9 million when the team struggles to score goals every night.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I completely agree with the fourth paragraph. I'm just tired of the mentality of "Well, if we get in you never know." or "Nobody would want to face us in the first round."

Agreed. It's really sad to see this team use Lundqvist as a crutch every season. I wouldn't blame the guy one bit if he walked away at the end of the year -- or informed the team at the deadline he wouldn't be re-signing.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
They've gone back to their bad habits of tossing in draft picks. The Clowe trade and the way it was structured was so stupid and short-sighted. To lose a 2nd when you don't have a first is criminal in a salary cap world. To add a clause that punishes you for signing your own UFA is equally dumb.

SBOB--I always thought that the draft picks for Clowe were because Sather didn't want to lose any of his prospects (no source, just my feeling). Sather doesn't care about the long-term anymore (whether he ever did is another question entirely), he's focused on winning one more ring before he retires and expects it to happen in the next season or two. The Man Behind the Curtain will trade any and all prospects/draft picks away at this point if he thinks it will get him that ring.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Bravo. Especially RE prospect development. There are a lot of posts saying to play the kids because "they can't be any worse." Putting aside that that is not even necessarily true, that is not how a successful franchise should view playing their young players. The focus should be on - what is going to net the best results long term? Hell even mid-term - end of this season / early next season. Getting shuttled back and forth, being told "you're ready...no wait you're not", not getting even enough practice time to establish chemistry with your teammates, etc is just not in the long term interest of these prospects. I don't believe that.

If we had a solid core a la, for example, SJ, that needed an energy/motivation boost - fine. If Miller, Kreider, etc was expected to come up and ride shotgun for a line that could fundamentally play hockey - ya know complete a pass, break out, forecheck - fine. That isn't the case here because the team is lacking 1. talent 2. an identity and 3. any signs of mental strength.

I don't understand posts like this. How can bringing up a prospect from the minors to see what he can do vs NHL level talent during a time when potential top 6 ice time can be given to supposed "top 6 potential players" ruin them? Look if Miller and Krieder are potential top 6 players, now is the time to see that. Not years from now after toiling in the minors beating up on second tier competition. Top athletes rise to the expectations of others- if they have the skill to do so. What kills prospects is a lack of confidence shown in them by the organization, or a lack of skill.

Plus, no one likes to use the Islanders on this board as a example but, by the logic of " the organization must have a strong core in place" the islanders never would have put John Tavarese in the NHL. By that logic, number one draft picks would never get to play the year after they were drafted because obviously the team that picks first in the draft did not have a "good core" if they finished last in the NHL they year before.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't understand posts like this. How can bringing up a prospect from the minors to see what he can do vs NHL level talent during a time when potential top 6 ice time can be given to supposed "top 6 potential players" ruin them? Look if Miller and Krieder are potential top 6 players, now is the time to see that. Not years from now after toiling in the minors beating up on second tier competition. Top athletes rise to the expectations of others- if they have the skill to do so. What kills prospects is a lack of confidence shown in them by the organization, or a lack of skill.

Plus, no one likes to use the Islanders on this board as a example but, by the logic of " the organization must have a strong core in place" the islanders never would have put John Tavarese in the NHL. By that logic, number one draft picks would never get to play the year after they were drafted because obviously the team that picks first in the draft did not have a "good core" if they finished last in the NHL they year before.

John Tavares is a different case. There isn't a blanket way to handle prospects. Tavares was ready for the NHL the day he was drafted because his skill is overwhelming. That's not true for any of these guys. Matt Moulson played most of 3 seasons in the AHL, though not with the Isles organization. Frans Nielson played most of 2 seasons there. Okposo 1 year, and he could've arguably used more. Bailey didn't spend much time in the AHL, and also could've probably used some time there. The point is that you don't use the same exact tactics with every player.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
A little OT but I would love that Girardi-Gardiner trade. Makes complete sense for both sides, especially if Phaneuf is staying with the Leafs. And I've always really liked Tyler Biggs. Plus a first is always nice lol, especially because even with Girardi I don't see the Leafs doing anything in the playoffs. However, I feel the Leafs will send a contract our way to free up space, Clarkson and Bozak contracts are really hitting them in the wallet.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
John Tavares is a different case. There isn't a blanket way to handle prospects. Tavares was ready for the NHL the day he was drafted because his skill is overwhelming. That's not true for any of these guys. Matt Moulson played most of 3 seasons in the AHL, though not with the Isles organization. Frans Nielson played most of 2 seasons there. Okposo 1 year, and he could've arguably used more. Bailey didn't spend much time in the AHL, and also could've probably used some time there. The point is that you don't use the same exact tactics with every player.

Agreed.

Tavares is a #1 overall pick and going to be a generational talent.

Why don't you ask the Islanders how things went with Nino.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
I'd like to propose a trade right here:

Let's send Nash, Dorsett, Brassard and Moore to Columbus for Gaborik, Dubinsky, Anisimov and Erixon. That will make us a better team.

Columbus can throw in Fedor Tyutin for virtually nothing, since that's exactly what we received from Columbus for Tyutin...virtually nothing.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I'd like to propose a trade right here:

Let's send Nash, Dorsett, Brassard and Moore to Columbus for Gaborik, Dubinsky, Anisimov and Erixon. That will make us a better team.

Columbus can throw in Fedor Tyutin for virtually nothing, since that's exactly what we received from Columbus for Tyutin...virtually nothing.

Followed by the "Sather is so good at fixing his mistakes" threads.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
That would also unburden us from the $7.8 million Nash cap hit after this year...four more years after this season at $7.8 million. Until 2018.

Jeesh. Now I know how Philadelphia Phillies fans feel...

FAMOUSfin

Oct 11, 2011
As biturbo mentioned near the beginning of the thread, there's a steep learning curve to AV's system. New players struggled with it in Vancouver. It was probably partially responsible for holding back Ballard. Torts has said that he expected about 10 games for the players in Vancouver to get used to his system. Expect it to take longer than that for the Rangers to adjust to AV.

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
Frankly I'm glad the team started out with the long road trip. I know you can make the argument that they have been having a tough time BECAUSE they are on the road, but I think we were going to have problems adjusting to a new coach and system regardless and if they had lost like this at home the crowd pressure would have detrimental.

Hopefully they are starting to get their act together and we will be ready to kick some habs butt at the opener.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
I still think we're worse than our record.

But we should be 2nd in this division. It's pretty weak.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
This thread is hilarious.

The conclusions that were drawn about this team on October 11....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad