Proposal: Finish this trade...

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Rask and Ference are getting a rise for a total of $7mil? Must be my bad math because you have already dismissed Horton too.

Nope. Not raises. Total salary.

The Bruins have $7M in space with no goalies and five defensemen.

That's without Horton signed either (but with Savard on the books).

$7M in space with a hole in their top-6, bottom pair defenseman and two goaltender positions.

That's not much.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
How do you IMAGINE the Bruins accomplish this?

Oh, the Bruins have a ton of cap space now and there will be teams that are willing to dish at the deadline (when is this again?). My feeling is that Chiarelli already has something (or a couple of things) in place for when the time comes.

My prediction is that the Tim Thomas deal is a precursor to something a little more substantial with the Islanders. I know that's not a sexy roster to look at, but there is some talent there and a couple of guys who I think would really fit.

Some usual to unusual suspects: Jarome Iginla, Ryan Whitney (as well as Derek Smith or Lee Stempniak in Calgary and Laddy Smid in Edmonton). RJ Umberger in Columbus is interesting, as I think he'd fit well on that third (and is a playoff BEAST) BUT his contract is prohibiting and I don't know how we'd do it. Lauri Korpikoski is a player I've liked for a long time now. He'd be a perfect fit in Boston and is one of my prime targets. Karl Alzner in Washington and Cal Clutterbuck in Minnesota.

These are just a few names, of course.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Oh, the Bruins have a ton of cap space now and there will be teams that are willing to dish at the deadline (when is this again?). My feeling is that Chiarelli already has something (or a couple of things) in place for when the time comes.

My prediction is that the Tim Thomas deal is a precursor to something a little more substantial with the Islanders. I know that's not a sexy roster to look at, but there is some talent there and a couple of guys who I think would really fit.

Some usual to unusual suspects: Jarome Iginla, Ryan Whitney (as well as Derek Smith or Lee Stempniak in Calgary and Laddy Smid in Edmonton). RJ Umberger in Columbus is interesting, as I think he'd fit well on that third (and is a playoff BEAST) BUT his contract is prohibiting and I don't know how we'd do it. Lauri Korpikoski is a player I've liked for a long time now. He'd be a perfect fit in Boston and is one of my prime targets. Karl Alzner in Washington and Cal Clutterbuck in Minnesota.

These are just a few names, of course.

I`ve been on the Clutterbuck train for some time now

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Stanley cup contenders don't trade top 6 forwards. If Horton leaves at the end of the season for a big payday (5+mil on a multi year) at the end of the season, then so be it.

TripleOT

Feb 27, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
Makes sense that the Bruins maybe move Horton to a team before the trade deadline seeing as he will be UFA...

This will give the Bs enough cap room to make a huge move (possibly involving Horton in a 2-way or 3-way deal or possibly as a subsequent deal) at the deadline.

So, what do we think would happen if we move Horton?

Horton to ____________ for ____________ .

I am hoping it is something like Horton plus something to Anaheim for Perry.

Horton and McQuaid for Tanguay and Wideman.

rainone99

Dec 21, 2010
Montreal
with 11 Million dollars, they can not keep Horton, Rask, Ference, back up goalie, 7th Defenceman.. impossible

Horton needs to get traded for a young forward who has the potential to play in the top 6.... Horton for Forward 1.5 Million approx

Rask 5 Million
Khudobin 1 Million
Ference 2.5 Million
Forward 1.5 Million
Johnson .650

Total 10.65 Million

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Why is everyone saying keep ference? Are all of you blind? Get RID of him.

rainone99

Dec 21, 2010
Montreal

Even if you get rid of Ference 2.5 Million, and move up Johnson to number 6 and get a 7th defenceman at .650, you still only save 1.85 Million, still not enough to sign Horton.

You'd need to get rid of Ference and a Kelly to keep Horton and sign a 7th D man. That's a lot of leadership heading out the door to keep a 2 time concussed power forward. Too much risk in my opinion to keep Horton.

I wouldn't mind sending Horton and Kelly to Anaheim for Ryan, I'd do that and plug in Spooner with Pev's and Paille, and put Bourque on the 4th line.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North

:handclap::handclap: I've been saying this ... but he's some kinda golden boy for some bruins fans .

costing us a goal almost every game IF I was Quaider I'd be getting pissed at covering for him :rant:

I'd walk away in heartbeat a 5th or 6th defencemen is easy to find and I see no reason to spend 2.5 mil on a guy making that many mistakes ;)

remer

Oct 18, 2005
:handclap::handclap: I've been saying this ... but he's some kinda golden boy for some bruins fans .

costing us a goal almost every game IF I was Quaider I'd be getting pissed at covering for him :rant:

I'd walk away in heartbeat a 5th or 6th defencemen is easy to find and I see no reason to spend 2.5 mil on a guy making that many mistakes ;)

Great point. At 2.25 million I think Ference can go. He has been awful this year.

On the front end Horton at 4 million or Peverly at 3.25 million are the two likely choices to go.

I think the Bruins might even dangle Lucic at 6 million as well.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
Great point. At 2.25 million I think Ference can go. He has been awful this year.

On the front end Horton at 4 million or Peverly at 3.25 million are the two likely choices to go.

I think the Bruins might even dangle Lucic at 6 million as well.

Ference has gone through similar short stretches like this one and come out of it to be a clutch performer, so I don't see Chiarelli moving a roster player unless that guy and the team are simultaneously mired in serious slumps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad