Proposal: Finish this trade...

NiKrejci

May 11, 2009
Horton has produced more than Perry and Iginla this year so far even though it's early. Yes the other two are better players throughout the years, BUT are they as clutch as Horton has been for us? Absolutely not. Perry only becomes a Bruin for prospects and picks. Would Anaheim do that? Not a chance. Perry won't be a Bruin.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
The Bruins were blitzing the league last season for almost 2 months and then Nathan was lost to injury.

The team was basically .500 the rest of the year and out in Round One.

Nathan is back and they are 7-1-1.

Could be a coincidence?

IMO this is not a reach.
It doesn't mean that Horton is Marc Messier II, but there is no doubting that the Krejci goes as he goes, and when the Krejci line is scoring Boston's two-way 5/5 games is so imposing overall that they win big. No doubt there are those will believe that Seguin's magical minute-14 alongside Krejci sets the table for such a move, but I'd go slow on this one because, when Lucic hits a flat point and the line has zero physical presence, then Krejci struggles (as we've seen). And when Krejci struggles, is Seguin going to help the line or hurt it? IMO that's a little bit much to put on Seguin when he still tries to cheat his way into odd-man rushes when Bergeron, for instance, is battling for pucks at the defensive blue line.
IMO the Bruins' best chance at another championship this season is by keeping the band together.
I expect Chiarelli will hold true to form and use his newly created cap space to bid for a winger who can buttress their physical game especially as it accents their attack. If not in the Iginla sweepstakes, then in the running for someone more like Rene Bourque. A old-school, door-step power-play finisher a la Gagne is probably something he'd like to add.
But I don't see an agenda of subtraction, not Chiarelli's style in times of prosperity.

bigbadbruins1966

Nov 30, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
Horton have to be re-signed!
The only missing link right now is a reliable LW on the 3rd line...what about Iginla who deserves a shot at the Cup ? Chia's could make an attempt to get him,probably would not cost much cause he is in the final year of five-year contract...He will become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
Horton won't leave for free as a UFA, call that a lesson learned. Bruins were left shorthanded when Ryder was not signed, even if that was for cap reasons it was not a good move.

If Horton is at all happy in Boston he will sign a good deal for the team.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Horton won't leave for free as a UFA, call that a lesson learned. Bruins were left shorthanded when Ryder was not signed, even if that was for cap reasons it was not a good move.

If Horton is at all happy in Boston he will sign a good deal for the team.

I'm not sure PC had a choice with Ryder. I actually like Ryder's game. But he wanted a lot of money and the bruins could not afford him. Although I bet with Ryder we would have got through the first round last year.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
I liked Ryder's game too but the money? He signed for less than he made in Boston. Probably that was too much then too. I think he added an element to the team posters here don't like to admit to.

boss3252

Oct 14, 2007
why trade Horton ? Team doing well with lineup. Season is long and we have Spooner in providence ready to come up to help. I see him boston before the end of the year

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I liked Ryder's game too but the money? He signed for less than he made in Boston. Probably that was too much then too. I think he added an element to the team posters here don't like to admit to.

I think the people who love Ryder so much, aren't creative enough in their thinking to imagine how someone better would benefit the team far more.

He's been replaced by Benoit Pouliot and Chris Bourque in subsequent years. Actually inferior players. I think that has a lot to do with how highly Rydes has been revered since we let him go.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I think the people who love Ryder so much, aren't creative enough in their thinking to imagine how someone better would benefit the team far more.

He's been replaced by Benoit Pouliot and Chris Bourque in subsequent years. Actually inferior players. I think that has a lot to do with how highly Rydes has been revered since we let him go.

Ryder is twice as good in the playoffs.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec

Don't want anything to do with trading Nate Horton. His presence and the success of this team have a direct correlation.

That said... We don't have the space to re-sign him this off-season either.

I say we go for a Cup this season and sort our situation out after the celebration.

How do you IMAGINE the Bruins accomplish this?

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Not that anyone cares, but I find it hard discussing trades at 7-1-1 unless we're talking about giving up picks and prospects only.

I totally agree with you, and now at 8-1-1 it's even harder to discuss...but I do think that corpfan is only trying to help the Bruins and probably is worried about Horton's concussion injuries. I'm optimistic that Horton will slowly get better as the season goes on, and hopefully be at 100% in the play-offs.

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
Of course! Why would I want to hurt the Bs???

I don't want to pay a penny more to Horton than what he is getting now. I think Chiarelli should make sure he has a good idea of what that number is, and if they are driving a hard bargain, at least get something for him before the deadline if he is walking (which I feel he will).

I think he is worth at least a 2nd round pick and a prospect from a Western playoff team.

We could then turn around and get a player who is also going to hit the UFA market for that and a little more to replace him.

Unfortunately Anaheim is doing too well to move the big 2.

Weiss might be had though...so might Penner. Ryder could also fill the spot.

I was hoping Seguin would be scoring more, so that Horton's goals wouldn't be as needed.

Would love to exchange Horton for Weiss going into the playoffs.

I totally agree with you, and now at 8-1-1 it's even harder to discuss...but I do think that corpfan is only trying to help the Bruins and probably is worried about Horton's concussion injuries. I'm optimistic that Horton will slowly get better as the season goes on, and hopefully be at 100% in the play-offs.

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
I can't really see how the Bruins can keep Horton unfortunately.

They have about $7M available and need to re-up Rask and Ference (or another D-man).

That is $7M right there.

I know they "could" use Savard's $4M LTIR, but that would put Chiarelli in a heck of a position with no cap room whatsoever.

Sorry to say Horton is likely going to be the odd man out and walk in the offseason and end up being replaced by Spooner or Knight or Caron next season.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
They'll do what they did with Guerin- Keep him for the playoffs, let him walk if he gets offered a ton of dough.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
I think Ference and Thorton are the ones but I see your logic. Horton fits the money where Ference does not quite. Whoever they lose it is going to hurt, as they do not have anyone who brings the overall effectiveness of Horton, Ference or Thorton.

Thorton, along with the entire fourth line, is under contract for next year. Paille and Campbell are each signed for an additional year after that as well.

http://www.capgeek.com/bruins

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
I can't really see how the Bruins can keep Horton unfortunately.

They have about $7M available and need to re-up Rask and Ference (or another D-man).

That is $7M right there

I know they "could" use Savard's $4M LTIR, but that would put Chiarelli in a heck of a position with no cap room whatsoever.

Sorry to say Horton is likely going to be the odd man out and walk in the offseason and end up being replaced by Spooner or Knight or Caron next season.

Rask and Ference are getting a rise for a total of $7mil? Must be my bad math because you have already dismissed Horton too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad