Proposal: Finish this trade...

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
Makes sense that the Bruins maybe move Horton to a team before the trade deadline seeing as he will be UFA...

This will give the Bs enough cap room to make a huge move (possibly involving Horton in a 2-way or 3-way deal or possibly as a subsequent deal) at the deadline.

So, what do we think would happen if we move Horton?

Horton to ____________ for ____________ .

I am hoping it is something like Horton plus something to Anaheim for Perry.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Contenders don't trade their UFAs.

Mostly true. The only way I could see him being dealt is if he were part of a package to upgraded the position.

For example if you could move horton + pick for iginla. And since other teams who might be looking to move a better player are not likely to want a UFA coming back in return it would seem unlikely that he would be dealt

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Horton is going to be resigned, the B's are small enough upfront without subtracting one of the best power forwards in the game.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
After the Thomas trade and putting Savard on LTIR, don't the Bruins have at least $9 million in cap space now? Horton would give them $13 million?

I am not even sure they are going to use all the cap space they have for the rest of the season, I don't know why having more cap space instead of Nathan Horton would do any good at all unless they did make a deal for Getzlaf and Perry or something like that.

They would have enough cap space to get Perry without moving Horton and I don't think the Ducks would want to trade him in part for another UFA to be.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Makes sense that the Bruins maybe move Horton to a team before the trade deadline seeing as he will be UFA...

This will give the Bs enough cap room to make a huge move (possibly involving Horton in a 2-way or 3-way deal or possibly as a subsequent deal) at the deadline.

Horton will not be the centerpiece in a deal for Corey Perry.

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
Good_Luck_Getting_Horton_To_Waive_his_No_Trade_Clause

The way around that is to say "pick 3 teams you wouldn't mind being dealt to or we'll put you on waivers in which case you'll most likely be picked up by a team you don't want to be with so make your choice". Having said that, I think the Bs want to re-sign him and I can't see Horts being difficult about it. Only way this happens is if they already know for a fact he doesn't want to re-sign and if this is the case, it must be well a covered piece of news (which usually leaks out).

redsox7327

Sep 10, 2011
The way around that is to say "pick 3 teams you wouldn't mind being dealt to or we'll put you on waivers in which case you'll most likely be picked up by a team you don't want to be with so make your choice".

lol nooooo wayyyyyyy. Horton would laugh at Chiarelli and show him the door if he ever said that. Haha.

Kaoz*

Why are we trading Nathan Horton?

As someone else already mentioned, Boston is small enough up front already.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
The Bruins still need a sniper and they still could use a defensive threat as well.

There are some possible targets.

Getzlaf, Ryan, Perry, Duchene, Perron, Kane or Little

Yandle, Whitney, Goligoski, Johnson,Visnovsky, Carlson, Wisniewski

Close to 9 million in cap space could make this team a threat.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
They are not trading Horton. Not in a short season when they have a strong chance of going all the way in the playoffs.

Teams that trade their pending UFAs are teams that likely aren't making the playoffs.

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia

Wait, are you saying that the B's should trade Horton because he's a UFA ... for a player that's also a UFA? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of trading a FA-to-be?

Personally, I'd fill in those blanks with:

Horton to remain a Bruin for at least the remainder of this season, and beyond if they can agree to a reasonable cap hit .

Squirrell71

Offensive
Mar 24, 2011
Vermont
Not that anyone cares, but I find it hard discussing trades at 7-1-1 unless we're talking about giving up picks and prospects only.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Only on HFBoards can Horton and a late 2nd rounder get you Jarome Iginla.

He can stay where he is for all I care .... Horton alone would piss me off , never mind a second. We dont need Jarome at that price.

Never understood the love affair for this guy, How many years have the flames suck under his leadership? Never mind the fact he is getting older and his skills based on watching him on the tube seam to be heading south.

Get him for picks or no thanks.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

So the Bruins move what I believe is considered a "core" player by Chia/Cam to aquire or make a "huge move" which, as I`m sure we know, would cost this team big time in the Draft picks/Prospects cupboard??? Hmm, not exactly Chia`s style, especially when those huge names guarantee nothing (Pevs/Kelly lesser names but integral to cup run)

I`m not opposed to (and who would be) the addition of a name that has some impact, just flies in the face of Chia`s MO to this point and really, is this team in need of a big name which guarantee`s nothing??

Re-signing Horton, IMO, won`t be difficult, if anything, Chia has proven that the culture this organization has created, the competitiveness of this team, the great fans of Boston who support this team makes it an awfully attractive place to play, and with Horty and Looch being pretty good buds, this fan isn`t too worried about re-signing Horton IF he plays the full season and does so as he has begun, playing well.

mich25

Jan 23, 2013
We have 2 players we need to consider resigning - Rask and Horton. Depending upon how they will do this year we need/ed Thomas's 5 mil to go towards re-signing both of them. I think we can all agree resigning Rask & giving him more $ (most likely) and a longer deal is in the plans and important. He is at 3.5 mil and will be looking for a raise I'm sure. I can see Rask getting 5 mil or close to that with his next contract? Horton will be looking for more $ too obviously, but how much is really dependent on how well he does this year. I think the B's will resign Horton. The players and team seem to really like him. Then we have Ference who I feel like Chiarelli loves and will probably want to resign as well, even though I wouldn't mind seeing him walk for the price he is currently paid. So, I think like Chiarelli said this is a deal that will allow them to resign some players and make some moves if they need to - nothing major I think this year, possibly a bigger UFA signing in the summer?

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
We have 2 players we need to consider resigning - Rask and Horton. Depending upon how they will do this year we need/ed Thomas's 5 mil to go towards re-signing both of them. I think we can all agree resigning Rask & giving him more $ (most likely) and a longer deal is in the plans and important. He is at 3.5 mil and will be looking for a raise I'm sure. I can see Rask getting 5 mil or close to that with his next contract? Horton will be looking for more $ too obviously, but how much is really dependent on how well he does this year. I think the B's will resign Horton. The players and team seem to really like him. Then we have Ference who I feel like Chiarelli loves and will probably want to resign as well, even though I wouldn't mind seeing him walk for the price he is currently paid. So, I think like Chiarelli said this is a deal that will allow them to resign some players and make some moves if they need to - nothing major I think this year, possibly a bigger UFA signing in the summer?

I half agree with you, a lot of what you said is true, but there is nothing stopping the Bruins from being able to acquire a bigger name player who will also be an UFA at the end of this season other than what assests it will cost them.

For instance, if they worked out an acceptable deal with Calgary for Iginla with the idea that they would let him walk at the end of the playoffs, it doesn't have to be Iginla, I am just using him as an example, maybe it is Jagr or someone else. That would leave them where they are now as far as who they want to sign and what their abilities to sign them are.

Thomas would have been off the books for next year anyway, trading him this year only makes cap space for this year and does absolutely nothing for next year. In order to capitalize on the space made by this trade, they need to use that cap space this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad