Financial Boycott of The Ottawa Senators/Melnyk: 2019/20 Edition

Will you financially support the team if owned by Melnyk?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I caved and went the Jets game last winter. I don't anticipate exhibiting such weakness again.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I cannot describe how happy and excited id be to hear the news that the team has a new owner.
It would be one of the best days as a senator fan. No joke
It would honestly be one of the best days of life. Literally every fan would be back on board no matter who the new owner was.
Damn I wish I had the money....

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
#MelnykOut is really the only way, absolute financial boycott of him and likely sponsors. Let Canadian Tire know your displeasure with them sponsoring Melnyk's arena kinda financial boycott. Respect is earned and he lost a lot of it in public in becoming a laughing stock, which reflects on the team and the direction its going. Rebuild is an excuse to save him money. Nothing stops this spiteful man who has already waged a public war with the fans - he might as well keep liquidating the team's assets to keep the franchise.

Will support the players from my couch.

Last edited:

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
It would be amazing to hear what the players actually think. Another Uber ride but we’d only need a transcript, no names or audio. Just to know what the players actually think of this mess.
The closest we got was Mark Stone’s parents telling someone in Vegas that Ottawa was a total shit show. Obviously he felt that way as he got out as soon as he could.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
just imagine if we could get fans of other teams boycott to sens games in their arena. that would really make owners none to happy. Lowest drawing team league wide in history.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Money?!?! Ha!

Shit, chances are I won't even be wathing for free let alone pay for this shit. They've pretty much destroyed my interest other than venting and I really should just do something better with my time.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Holy crap will that day reek havoc on my liver. I can already picture Chabot as Luke smiling at the force ghosts of Alfie, Karlsson, and Stone.

All we need to do is get Chabot to convince Dorion to change his ways and throw Melnyk down the giant chasm in the Death Star throne room.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
If Desmarais were to leak that he really wanted to buy this team and if only attendance could really suffer and there were many protests then he would have a better chance, then sure, there’s a plan. But right now we are only hoping that this will actually achieve the result we want. It could. But im still not sure of Melnyks plans.

It could be he, like many owners before him, is perfectly fine with being like Ballard and Wirtz and a long line of pro wrestler type bad guys. That boycotting will achieve no purpose except cause us to stop enjoying going to games. He may be holding on until they create a buzz again, till they start being talked about positively everywhere and then fans come back filling the stadium even though we all still hate him. Other owners have done this.

Maybe signing Dorion to 3 yrs of dirty deeds done dirt cheap suggests he is seeing this as a 3 year minimal spending plan. If he is maximizing debt repayment in that time, surely selling a team with $200 mil in debt is worth less than one with $100mil in debt and offers a chance for Melnyk to pocket more cash from the sale. Perhaps he is seeing 3 yrs from now when LeBreton deadlines and political blackmail are at their peak as a better time to sell.

But I still have friends and family that like to go the occasional game, especially those from out of town, and so I will still go to the odd game here and there, even though our ownership is failing us. Ill chant Melnyk out while im there. Nothing wrong with boycotts and protests though, Melnyk deserves it. I can do both.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Nothing will change until you guys stop watching on TV and start organizing your protests to target corporate sponsors. Nothing speaks louder than attacking the 2 biggest money sources.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
#MelnykOut is really the only way, absolute financial boycott of him and likely sponsors. Let Canadian Tire know your displeasure with them sponsoring Melnyk's arena kinda financial boycott. Respect is earned and he lost a lot of it in public in becoming a laughing stock, which reflects on the team and the direction its going. Rebuild is an excuse to save him money. Nothing stops this spiteful man who has already waged a public war with the fans - he might as well keep liquidating the team's assets to keep the franchise.

Will support the players from my couch.

Pretty much as low as it can go, and he has adjusted nicely to that reality of feeble attendance and support. It won’t do anything

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Pretty much as low as it can go, and he has adjusted nicely to that reality of feeble attendance and support. It won’t do anything
Yup. Stay away as a matter of principle, but no point being delusional that Melnyk cares or will sell because of it. He's just adapting his operation to spend below the floor and still barebones everything else... with revenue sharing and tv contracts, he doesn't really need any gate revenue at all.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
I tend to agree that a boycott is pointless, in terms of the team being sold anyway. Eugene has clearly established that he has the ability to float this thing on existing team income and lines of credit. People just need to come to grips with the fact that this team is the Washington Generals of the NHL. It's simply Eugene's toy to do with as he sees fit. I absolutely won't be attending any games, just because watching a team i used to be so passionate about develop players for other organizations and get dunked on constantly just straight up isn't fun for me. It is what it is. Maybe a few years down the road things will change.

Reactions: insomniac and Gesus

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Yup. Stay away as a matter of principle, but no point being delusional that Melnyk cares or will sell because of it. He's just adapting his operation to spend below the floor and still barebones everything else... with revenue sharing and tv contracts, he doesn't really need any gate revenue at all.

And yet he was "losing" money when the arena was still doing 18k avg with a payroll still in the lower end of the league?

He may be able to stretch it, but this cannot continue forever. From TV/sporsor perspective, why would they continue to fork out big money on a renewal when nobody's watching? Total fan indifference will kill the market, and Bettman isn't dying to move the team to a smaller market Quebec city.

Financial boycott is the way. Money related hockey operations drive this owner and it is the lack of it that will push him out (eventually).

Last edited:

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I will not be spending a single penny on the Ottawa Senators this season. Not on tickets, TV, merch, or any subscription services. If I want to watch a game, I'll go to a bar, or to a friend's house.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Yes sir, this. He is doing what he said. This much i will give him, he is following through on his business plan. Sort of like Mcdonalds. They were in the slumps because of their unhealthy products, so they adjusted their philosophy and added a bunch of better healty choices and their value as a company changed completely. They changed their business plan to their new normal situation and it worked. Looks like EM is doing the same.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Yes sir, this. He is doing what he said. This much i will give him, he is following through on his business plan. Sort of like Mcdonalds. They were in the slumps because of their unhealthy products, so they adjusted their philosophy and added a bunch of better healty choices and their value as a company changed completely. They changed their business plan to their new normal situation and it worked. Looks like EM is doing the same.
McDonalds and the Ottawa Senators should never be compared in the business world. One is a brand that has been around for years and has thrived for years and continues to open stores worldwide. The other can't even afford hot water in its bathrooms.

Reactions: MiscBrah and Rand0m

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
That's an odd comparison. McDonald's realized trends and followed them like a smart business would and they have a long track record of success. You can't always control change, but you can at least chase after what opportunities it brings.

A more appropriate comparison to Melnyk's operation would be to a restaurant struggling that instead of refreshing their menu or trying new marketing strategies, they slash everything to the bone from staff to quality of materials used to hot water and then expect to make up the revenue difference by selling shitty food prepared for as cheap as possible, while providing bad service to boot.

They just need some rude, patronizing waitresses to fill Dorion and Rutkowski's roles, so that they can tell the patrons just how wrong they all are.

Reactions: The Lewler and Deku

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
I didn't go to any games last year, but I tend to only go to a few a year anyways.

I was thinking about how incredibly powerful Chabot's role is in the future of the Senators. He could easily choose to wait for an offer sheet and leave. If he does, that tells Tkachuk, very clearly that he doesn't believe in the Senators management. That could precipitate the league forcing Melnyk to sell.

If I were to look at the Sens moves over the last 3 years, each one was to sell assets for cash, this has robbed the team of NHL assets. The only free agents they can attract are lower tier guys that want to get flipped at the deadline. If I were Chabot, I would leave as an RFA.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005

A more apt comparison would be if McDonald’s responded to declining sales by removing the most popular items from their menu, buying the cheapest available ingredients, and leaving a bunch of executive positions either unfilled, or filled with cheap but untalented people.

MikeC62

Aug 31, 2018
Bettman will not let this team move, he has 600 million (US) reasons why he wont let an existing team into an open market

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
I've said it before, but the chance that the Sens end up leaving town is practically nil. The situation in Arizona shows that as long as there's owners lining up to keep the team in place, and a city willing to play ball in arena talks, the chances of packing up and moving out are low.

The only team to relocate in the past twenty years was Atlanta, and that was an awkward situation where the ASG never had any real interest in running the team, and any deal made would predicate on paying the ASG rent to utilize the Phillips Arena.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The only team to relocate in the past twenty years was Atlanta, and that was an awkward situation where the ASG never had any real interest in running the team, and any deal made would predicate on paying the ASG rent to utilize the Phillips Arena.

It's not even that.

By the end of everything, ASG didn't even want a hockey team to use Phillips Arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad