Financial Boycott of The Ottawa Senators/Melnyk: 2019/20 Edition

Will you financially support the team if owned by Melnyk?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I feel like we need to go hard one way or the other. Either support him really well so he has lots of money to spend on the team or not support him at all so that he is forced to sell. Continuing in the middle will result in another decade of mediocrity if we’re lucky.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I feel like we need to go hard one way or the other. Either support him really well so he has lots of money to spend on the team or not support him at all so that he is forced to sell. Continuing in the middle will result in another decade of mediocrity if we’re lucky.

We can fill the arena and throw money at his feet....he will not put that extra cash into the team.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I think we need to put pressure on Gary Bettman to get involved. The league should aleast put him on notice, give him some kind of warning.

Reactions: insomniac

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I renewed. I am looking forward to watching what we have develop. I don’t really care who gets my money, but chances are it is going to the players

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Definitely not. Even if I get offered free tickets from suppliers through work Ill be turning them down. A drive down from Sudbury is a commitment of time and money, and Im not seeing that same level of commitment from this owner.

I know people think Im an ownership/management apologist, but Im really not. They have made something I love into a laughing stock.

But I still dont let that destroy my optimism for the future. We are set up good and we are doing the rebuild mostly right so far. Melnyk will sell, he has to eventually.

Hes lost this fan base for good, and he cant be that stupid that he believes hes going to win us back under any circumstances. Reputation is everything, and Melnyk lost his long ago.

Reactions: coladin

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I renewed. I am looking forward to watching what we have develop. I don’t really care who gets my money, but chances are it is going to the players
Did you buy tickets for for Belleville or something? Or are you interested in seeing how Connor Brown, Nikita Zaitsev, Ron Hainsey, Artem Anisimov and Tyler Ennis are developing?

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
To collapse a vibrant hockey market in Canada is like not being able to sell soccer in Manchester - the city has a hockey addiction and Melnyck can’t even feed that.

If memory serves the 2005 lockout cap was $39 million and Ottawa spent to the Cap.

Warren had them spending $45 million on real salary this year. In 15 years the Cap and revenues have more then doubled and Ottawa increased its salary spend by $6 million.

That’s how you sink a franchise. Melncyk is a horrible business leader and a stooge.

Reactions: Rand0m and Sens

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I cannot describe how happy and excited id be to hear the news that the team has a new owner.
It would be one of the best days as a senator fan. No joke

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
To collapse a vibrant hockey market in Canada is like not being able to sell soccer in Manchester - the city has a hockey addiction and Melnyck can’t even feed that.

If memory serves the 2005 lockout cap was $39 million and Ottawa spent to the Cap.

Warren had them spending $45 million on real salary this year. In 15 years the Cap and revenues have more then doubled and Ottawa increased its salary spend by $6 million.

That’s how you sink a franchise. Melncyk is a horrible business leader and a stooge.

The real trick is LeBreton. First time in my life I've ever seen the NCC practically begging someone to take a prime piece of real estate almost for free, in what is 99.9999% guaranteed to make a great profit in condos.....and Eugene screws it up. All because he wanted the condo money right now, instead of having a bit of patience and letting the condos sell over a bit more time (to account for those other developments). Ottawa is one of the safest real estate markets in the country, and that location is like solid gold in the next decade, especially with transit jumping through hoops to be sure to get a station there. This was like getting the key to Fort Knox and letting the key fall through a sewer grate. Unbelievable.

Reactions: Boud and Tuna99

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
Money going to the players?? Hasn't happened in years, not sure what makes you think its gonna change anytime soon.

(also, have we all forgotten about the 1 billion dollar countersuit)
I was wondering as well, is there anything new? Did they both drop them or is this still ongoing? Any dates set yet for anything?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I was wondering as well, is there anything new? Did they both drop them or is this still ongoing? Any dates set yet for anything?

I suspect it will be settled out of court and we won't hear any details.

Reactions: RaMai

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I would support it if somehow they cut a deal and got shovels in the ground at Lebreton. No way I am supporting a Kanata shitfest. I am not going to Kanata to watch hockey ever again. I am not giving money to this ghoul ever again. Give me the central arena like every other god damn team in the league. My GF bought me tickets for Christmas last year with her hard earned money because she knows I like the team, but deep down I was so sad she gave it to this guy.

That's not to say I don't think this season will be interesting as I generally like a young team. But financial support, NOPE.

Last edited:

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I've always said all bets are off if they make the playoffs, but given that shouldn't be an "issue" this season it's a pretty easy no.

Maybe signing Chabot long-term before the season would give me a push, or some positive news about Lebreton (even thought hat ship has sailed) but outside of those two issues there's nothing they could do that would get me back this season.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Will you support the team financially if owned by Melnyk? Last season was a 22 year low in attendance.

Ottawa Senators’ average attendance hits 22-year low in 2018-19 season | Ottawa Business Journal

Gonna be another new record this year, and I predict it will finally grab the NHL's so-called 'attention'. All the salary cuts are in prep for the massive losses they can expect due to low attendance and low merch sales. Not even a proper front office in place so can't even expect half-decent marketing this year.

This is it IMO. This is where the NHL needs to spend the length of the full season to find the right owner and set the price. Expenses are slashed like crazy so even getting a lower bid should still generate plenty of profit for melnyk. It's at the stage that anyone coming in is going to see an uptick in attendance just because of new ownership, another year for the prospects in the system to get better, another year with a high-draft pick, and another year closer to new jerseys to spike the lackluster merchandise sales. Plus, with no CMO, CEO, COO, POHO in place, new owner can start fresh with their own ppl. If the NHL is not looking at this, then they have massively failed not only the fans of hockey, but also the rest of the league.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
What will the final straw be?

It’s hard to imagine things continuing like this for an extended period of time.

It’s easy to boycott from Victoria, and the one game I do go to is a Vancouver gate.

At least it looks to be quite the battle for spots for the kids, and the prospects are interesting.

I wonder if the league is able to do anything to save this ailing franchise. Surely watching an NHL market turn apathetic is upsetting to the other 31 ownership groups.

Ah well, we wait...

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Until they prove they are poised to start doing big boy things again (investing in literally any area of the franchise for the purpose of building a successful product, on or off ice), I just couldn't care less.

I love hockey, play it multiple times per week, run a fantasy league, and pretty much breath it year round, but I couldn't be bothered to support this sham of a franchise right now. It's just too frustrating to me watching the front office make a complete mockery of a once proud, respected and formidable team.

I don't enjoy going to games anymore. So I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad