Financial Boycott of Melnyk-owned Senators

Are you going to financially support a Melnyk owned team?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
I did a quick count on available tickets left on Ticketmaster. I don't think I need to remind anyone that these clearly are not official numbers - just me doing some math based on the info Ticketmaster is giving me.

Available seats in:
100-level = 818
200-level = 890
300 level = about 4000-4300, give or take a few hundred here or there. Numbers weren't 100% clear.
(Also, yes, I turned ticket-resale seats off. These numbers represent only unsold seats)

So a rough estimate might be that there are still somewhere in the ballpark of 5500-6000 seats still available for the 2nd home game of the year. I'm not sure what we are considering "full capacity" here though... am I subtracting that from 18,500 capacity? More? Less? The team (and many others, the Sens are certainly not unique in this regard) moves around what it considers to be a "sellout" all the time, and it's never 100% capacity in filling every seat.

If we assume an 18,500 mark, then that means currently the Sens have sold roughly 13,000-13,500 seats to that game.

Doesn't the team also not release all of the available seats all at once? So the actual number of tickets sold, so far, may be much less than that.

Breomike

Sep 19, 2018
Boy, that owner of yours really did you guys in.

All I can say as a general hockey fan is ''sorry''.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Doesn't the team also not release all of the available seats all at once? So the actual number of tickets sold, so far, may be much less than that.

This is absolutely true. In which case, ~13,000 might be a best-case scenario.

Like I said, I did what I could with the numbers I had.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
Egg is only concerned that you keep on paying a crappy product on ice

If they play horrible, by all means. I don't have a problem with a customer speaking with their feet. That's business.

You aren't doing your customers a favor with the product you sell them. They're doing you a favor by buying your product.

A smart hockey owner will humble themselves to that fact. Any business owner.

However, boycotting to demand an owner sells their asset, is a client no different than calling for a boycott to Wal-Mart due to poor service. Or because a rude waiter at Hooters told you to f-off.

Sure you may get thousands of disgruntled people joining you, but you will have a mighty tough time getting the Walton family to step down from something they legally own.

Just like you will struggle with Melnyk.

Some fans are rational, and asking him to step down. Others will speak with their feet and simply won't attend any games.

But to demand it? He bought his team fair and square. You literally cannot do a thing, legally to him to sell his team by force.

Just the entitlement behind it. Don't want to go to a game? Don't. Simple.

Heck, why don't you picket the Canadian Tire Centre? Same line of thinking.

Like I said. Some people don't understand how power works.

You have zero leverage.

Patience and leveraging are your best friends when trying to get a deal done in your favor.

You're doing it wrong.

Reactions: bcag04

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
However, boycotting to demand an owner sells their asset, is a client no different than calling for a boycott to Wal-Mart due to poor service. Or because a rude waiter at Hooters told you to f-off.

I don't disagree with all that you are saying, but this is a really poor analogy. You can't compare a professional sports franchise to a retailer. The kind of connection sports fans make with their favourite teams runs so much deeper than whichever store I go to when I need toilet paper, or want a $10 plate of wings. This is the equivalent of Melnyk comparing the team to a grocery store.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Do you have a masters degree in terrible analogies?
It the owners of Wal mart or Hooters were the ones giving the terrible service or telling you to f off, then you'd have a point. The problem is MELNYK. Fans are boycotting to make this about MELNYK.

Sure you may get thousands of disgruntled people joining you, but you will have a mighty tough time getting the Walton family to step down from something they legally own.

Some fans are rational, and asking him to step down. Others will speak with their feet and simply won't attend any games.

But to demand it? He bought his team fair and square. You literally cannot do a thing, legally to him to sell his team by force.
We can force him to lose money until he no longer has a stomach for it. I for one would love to see him lose every last dime he has if he wants to be a stubborn prick.

You have zero leverage.
Wrong.

The fans have all the leverage. Melnyk is trying to survive to cash in on Lebreton. He's stretched thin and with some help from the people working to wrestle the team away from him, we can put the boots to this prick.

Patience and leveraging are your best friends when trying to get a deal done in your favor.

You're doing it wrong.
The fans can afford to be patient. Melnyk, not so much.
Every dollar we don't spend is a dollar we have in our pockets. Every dollar we don't spend is a dollar out of Melnyk's pocket. See if you can figure who will run out of money first.

Melnyk is about to be taught a valuable lesson in power. He thinks he has it, but the only power he has is to ruin his franchise and go broke in the process.

Last edited:

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I dont understand how you can say the consumer doesnt have the leverage in this business .

Hockey is a luxury entertainment purchase.

If the consumer doesnt like any part of the experience , they walk and take their money elsewhere.

The business can choose to change their practice to recapture those dollars or look elsewhere for new revenues or possibly efficiencies to turn a profit.

At the end of the day , the consumer holds all the leverage because they are the target of the entire profit seeking enterprise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bean Drown

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
If they play horrible, by all means. I don't have a problem with a customer speaking with their feet. That's business.

You aren't doing your customers a favor with the product you sell them. They're doing you a favor by buying your product.

A smart hockey owner will humble themselves to that fact. Any business owner.

You have zero leverage.

You're doing it wrong.

You have a poor understanding of what is happening here and what it is the boycott is about.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
If the consumer doesnt like any part of the experience , they walk and take their money elsewhere.

As they should.

My issue is those demanding he step down, by seeking attention via a boycott. This, is what makes me embarrassed to declare am a Senators fan. I understand someone seeing the Sens playing horrible this year after trading a generational and highly valuable player, would leave a sour taste in the mouth. If they're 2 - 15 by the end of their second or 3rd months of play, then I understand some fans opting to stay home.

I don't like Rogers cable TV, and I cancel my subscription.

I don't make any noise, and little do you know it--they realize my hundreds of dollars I spent on their monthly cellphone packages, cable TV, internet and so on were something they should have valued.

Now, that they want me back instead of doing so at an absurd profit margin, they now have to cough up money and concessions, for me to even remotely reconsider.

I'm now in a position of power. I can hold out until the offer that is made to me, is one to my liking. I now have nothing to lose, and they have everything to.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
As they should.

My issue is those demanding he step down, by seeking attention via a boycott. This, is what makes me embarrassed to declare am a Senators fan. I understand someone seeing the Sens playing horrible this year after trading a generational and highly valuable player, would leave a sour taste in the mouth. If they're 2 - 15 by the end of their second or 3rd months of play, then I understand some fans opting to stay home.

I don't like Rogers cable TV, and I cancel my subscription.

I don't make any noise, and little do you know it--they realize my hundreds of dollars I spent on their monthly cellphone packages, cable TV, internet and so on were something they should have valued.

Now, that they want me back instead of doing so at an absurd profit margin, they now have to cough up money and concessions, for me to even remotely reconsider.

I'm now in a position of power. I can hold out until the offer that is made to me, is one to my liking. I now have nothing to lose, and they have everything to.

This isn't about this season.

This is about the past and how Melnyk and Dorion run this team.

The Senators are the worst run franshise in pro sports. That's the reason for the boycott. Not what their performance is going to be 2 months into the season.

They are liars and cowards and people of no integrity.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
You can't compare a professional sports franchise to a retailer.

I can, on a level to quote one of my favorite artists: "an aircraft carrier going to war with a Mini Cooper."

Unless the Senators are losing--you have zero leverage. You're trying to throw a knockout punch on Floyd Mayweather in his prime. You're Shaq at the free throw line: "Nothing but air" in your attempts.

If you think its possible and it makes you sleep at night, who am I to judge you for trying. However, for people to demand me to take them serious?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I can, on a level to quote one of my favorite artists: "an aircraft carrier going to war with a Mini Cooper."

Unless the Senators are losing--you have zero leverage. You're trying to throw a knockout punch on Floyd Mayweather in his prime. You're Shaq at the free throw line: "Nothing but air" in your attempts.

If you think its possible and it makes you sleep at night, who am I to judge you for trying. However, for people to demand me to take them serious?
If fans stop buying tickets, merchandise, and stop going to concerts it will have a hige effect on melnyks finances.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Once again the tone of the message is to sit down and shut up. That is the absolute last thing people should be telling other people to do when there's a stand required. Obviously this is not a human rights issue or something big like that, but the point remains that peaceful protest should be allowed.

Melnyk is running this franchise in to the ground because he's an egomaniac, meddling, millionaire owner playing a billionaire's game and now they're using a rebuild as an excuse to justify it. EM is not the Ottawa Senators, so while he owns them, and fans forcing him out is probably unrealistic, he needs to hear about how shitty of an owner he is every god damn day until he sells or dies.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Ottawa plays competitive, and I guarantee you it won't be Melnyk.
Ottawa is not going to be even remotely competitive.

Wouldn't matter if they were.

You keep thinking it is about the on ice product. It's not.

People are done with this owner.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
WikiPedia says 17,373 capacity for hockey, FWIW

Eh, they change it every year or two.

Back when I worked there, official capacity was 19,153... But on Leafs and Habs night, it was always over the 20k mark.

The term "Official sellout" in the NHL is a very... fluid concept. "Official capacity" is basically whatever the teams want it to be - often much lower than the physical number of seats and standing room spots.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
but the point remains that peaceful protest should be allowed.

Nobody is telling you you can't protest. You're free to. How do you expect me to stop you? How do you expect Melnyk or anyone to stop you?

However, everyone isn't obligated to take your protest seriously, if its done on ridiculous grounds (this is my right). Melnyk's incompetence is grounds for anger. However, a full blown boycott is beyond silly.

I see social justice warrior vibes to it. I see it like a vegan calling me a murderer for eating chicken. Sure its their right to feel that way, but I'm entitled to laugh at the ridiculous nature of their taunts, especially if they drive off in an SUV. That's just irony.

Trying to bully your views or bully the owner into quitting won't make him quit. It as a result, comes across as tantrum like.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If fans... stop going to concerts it will have a hige effect on melnyks finances.

The Sens seem to have helped out in this regard by significantly reducing their concert schedule. Have you seen their concert schedule for the next year? It's as barren as the Sahara.

We're getting skipped on a LOT of concerts that used to stop here.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
You keep thinking it is about the on ice product. It's not.

You're inadvertently targeting the on ice product with your antics. So it not being about[mod]. Its irrelevant. Do you not know how rich this guy is?

Who are you trying to hurt?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad