Financial Boycott of Melnyk-owned Senators

Are you going to financially support a Melnyk owned team?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Egg keeps saying "there are other ways" yet I haven't heard him talk about these other ways? I am actually interested, and happy to read about them.

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
There are no 'other ways'. His end game is obvious. He's done irreparable damage to the fan base. He is holding on till Lebreton is done and trying to make a fortune. In the meantime, he's going to spend as little as possible and limit the losses. At this point, even if he did spend on players, he's f**ked. The fans aren't coming back on his watch. He knows it. There's no business strategy left other than to spend as little as possible and try to hang on for dear life until he can cash out.

Anyone continuing to give him money is a sucker. Plain and simple. He laughs at you as you give him cash. You've been played. You mean nothing to him. The team means nothing to him. The city means nothing to him. It's all about money.

Let's give him the giant middle finger and screw those plans over.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I agree with making Melnyk aware that there is a large group of fans that despise his running of the business, and that he needs to go (or relinquish his control)...

BUT, all the negativity will have a huge impact on the future of the team. The players are not immune to this negativity. Even though it is not directed at them, it affects them. Tread carefully.

My two cents

We're a team that finished near the bottom of the standings, just traded away the best player in franchise history for peanuts and have (probably) the worst team on paper for the upcoming season. How much worse do you think this can get?

In the minds of a significant portion of the fan base, wehave already hit rock bottom. I really like Stone, Duchene and Dzingel but given the circumstances is losing them (or anyone else on the roster) really even matter if it's the difference between finishing 10th or 15th in the conference.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
We're a team that finished near the bottom of the standings, just traded away the best player in franchise history for peanuts and have (probably) the worst team on paper for the upcoming season. How much worse do you think this can get?

In the minds of a significant portion of the fan base, wehave already hit rock bottom. I really like Stone, Duchene and Dzingel but given the circumstances is losing them (or anyone else on the roster) really even matter if it's the difference between finishing 10th or 15th in the conference.

We could trade off Stone, Duch and Dizzy for peanuts. (Or very bad insured contracts)

Libreton could hit construction snags or even more red tape. Causing more years of Melnyk.

If the snag is big enough he could find a way to sell off a portion of the team to an investor in another city and relocate to KC, Houston, Hartford, Mississauga, Halifax, Cincinnati, etc. The list is massive. Every city in America with over 1.2 million people has a crazy rich egotistical billionaire who would kill for a new toy. (Which the board of governors would allow because the optics of #Melnykout and an empty rink drag down league values)

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
We could trade off Stone, Duch and Dizzy for peanuts. (Or very bad insured contracts)

Libreton could hit construction snags or even more red tape. Causing more years of Melnyk.

If the snag is big enough he could find a way to sell off a portion of the team to an investor in another city and relocate to KC, Houston, Hartford, Mississauga, Halifax, Cincinnati, etc. The list is massive. Every city in America with over 1.2 million people has a crazy rich egotistical billionaire who would kill for a new toy. (Which the board of governors would allow because the optics of #Melnykout and an empty rink drag down league values)

If their are serious buyers in this market (hint: there are!) it's completely unrealistic to assume this team has any chance of being moved.

If the league will go out of their way to keep Arizona and Carolina in their current locations they are sure as heck going to fight to keep a team in Canada's capital (especially with Lebreton and a new arena coming down the pipe).

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
What are you talking about? The sens have been to the cup finals already, and twice to the conference finals since their return to the NHL in 1992. Sens fans should be proud that our team hasn't missed the playoffs in back to back seasons in 21 years! There are teams around the league that don't make the playoffs sometimes in 3 or 4 years at a time. Every time you get to the playoffs you have a chance to win(2016 season should be an example of that). So saying they are never really competing is completely false.

I view the most recent run as an anomaly and certainly not a model of prolonged success, thus in our 25 year history we have had a 3-4 year window of true contention from 2003-2007, in the past 11 years we have been nowhere close to being a contending team and it will be getting much worse imo.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
It's also hilarious to hear Egg claim the boycotting fans are in a minority in a thread where 85% of the respondents have indicated they won't financially support a Melnyk owned team.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
It's also hilarious to hear Egg claim the boycotting fans are in a minority in a thread where 85% of the respondents have indicated they won't financially support a Melnyk owned team.
Ever heard of sampling bias?

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
The Alucard link seems like it should be a new thread

Recent moves made by the Ottawa Senators -- labelled a rebuilding by the team's management and ownership -- are similar to moves made by other teams leading up to their sale, says a Canadian sports economist.

"I'm saying that this might not be a rebuild," said Moshe Lander, an economics lecturer at Concordia University. "This might just be fundamentally that he (Eugene Melnyk) is looking to prepare the team to maximize its value."

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa

"I was told Mark Stone doesn't want to stay in Ottawa anymore, he doesn't want to play in Ottawa".

Looks like Stoner is onboard to boycott Melnyk!

Who would've thought if you lie around every other day, spreading bullshit about locker room leaders you just traded away, people wouldn't want to play for your team, huh?

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016

"I was told Mark Stone doesn't want to stay in Ottawa anymore, he doesn't want to play in Ottawa".

Looks like Stoner is onboard to boycott Melnyk!

Who would've thought if you lie around every other day, spreading bull**** about locker room leaders you just traded away, people wouldn't want to play for your team, huh?

I mean that's not too surprising if you haven't had your head up in the clouds during the past week(like certain members here have). I don't see Duchene signing either, why would these guys waste prime years of their careers on this team?

Reactions: topshelf15

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I mean I'll probably just drive to Belleville to watch that AHL team instead the one in Ottawa

Great idea, hit up the 67's as well, they have great deals going...Friday night games for $20...comes with a beer! I will be spending some of my disposable income on them and the rest is going towards an NFL trip to Philly!

Reactions: BondraTime

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
have you seen the available seat view for the home opener on ticketmaster.ca? Its scary bad. The cards are being played. Melnyk vs Melnykout.

I would just like to interject here for a second because this is such a divisive topic.

This is EM vs an alienated fanbase. No matter how much any of us plan on boycotting EM (or not) it's safe to say that we ALL want him gone. We all have strong emotional opinions and sometimes they look to be on opposite ends of a spectrum, but they all boil down to wanting what's best for our team, no matter how we get there.

It has to be accepted though that some people don't want to involve themselves with off ice drama and just want to watch hockey, or take their kids to hockey.

This isn't 'the good fight', and should folks not want to get involved in campaigns, they should still be respected, as should those that do. It is easy to see how this can further serve to divide a fanbase that really needs to be united. I'd like to apologize for my part in adding to this divisiveness. It's hard for me because I don't like listening to people talk trash about my team, even if there is some truth, and even if we all want the same things.

Go Sens!

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
have you seen the available seat view for the home opener on ticketmaster.ca? Its scary bad. The cards are being played. Melnyk vs Melnykout.

I just looked at it.

Not as bad as I thought it would be. I don't know how to project it tho.. is that around 14k?

But then again.. opening night will be far far from a sellout... which should be an easy sellout... so that's pretty badd.

What's up with some 300 sections being almost sold out and others completely empty ?

edit: I editted my opinion after looking down the line . Its bad. Go look at home game 2 vs Philly on a Wed :eek: :O :eek:

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I just looked at it.

Nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. So maybe we are wrong about the fanbase.

But then again.. opening night will be far far from a sellout... which should be an easy sellout.

Wasn't last year with the Leafs, you would think that would have been the easiest. Maybe not having the Leafs open the season is more enticing to many.

Take a Bath Son

Jan 15, 2018
I would just like to interject here for a second because this is such a divisive topic.

This is EM vs an alienated fanbase. No matter how much any of us plan on boycotting EM (or not) it's safe to say that we ALL want him gone. We all have strong emotional opinions and sometimes they look to be on opposite ends of a spectrum, but they all boil down to wanting what's best for our team, no matter how we get there.

It has to be accepted though that some people don't want to involve themselves with off ice drama and just want to watch hockey, or take their kids to hockey.

This isn't 'the good fight', and should folks not want to get involved in campaigns, they should still be respected, as should those that do. It is easy to see how this can further serve to divide a fanbase that really needs to be united. I'd like to apologize for my part in adding to this divisiveness. It's hard for me because I don't like listening to people talk trash about my team, even if there is some truth, and even if we all want the same things.

Go Sens!

I completely agree with you. I'm cheering from home this year, but I am still cheering. I'm hoping for a good outcome for all parties and all sides, including Eugene Melnyk.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Its bad. Go look at home game 2 vs Philly on a Wed :eek: :O :eek:

I did a quick count on available tickets left on Ticketmaster. I don't think I need to remind anyone that these clearly are not official numbers - just me doing some math based on the info Ticketmaster is giving me.

Available seats in:
100-level = 818
200-level = 890
300 level = about 4000-4300, give or take a few hundred here or there. Numbers weren't 100% clear.
(Also, yes, I turned ticket-resale seats off. These numbers represent only unsold seats)

So a rough estimate might be that there are still somewhere in the ballpark of 5500-6000 seats still available for the 2nd home game of the year. I'm not sure what we are considering "full capacity" here though... am I subtracting that from 18,500 capacity? More? Less? The team (and many others, the Sens are certainly not unique in this regard) moves around what it considers to be a "sellout" all the time, and it's never 100% capacity in filling every seat.

If we assume an 18,500 mark, then that means currently the Sens have sold roughly 13,000-13,500 seats to that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad