Financial Boycott of Melnyk-owned Senators

Are you going to financially support a Melnyk owned team?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I see social justice warrior vibes to it. I see it like a vegan calling me a murderer for eating chicken.

Jesus, here we go...

tenor.gif

Can we keep the political dogwhistling out of a god damned hockey forum, please?
giphy.gif

Reactions: Deku

Acidrain66

Jun 13, 2018
You're inadvertently targeting the on ice product with your antics. So it not being about it, [mod]. Do you not know how rich this guy is?

Who are you trying to hurt?
If he was rich, why cant sign those star players at what their worth??

Last edited by a moderator:

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
You're inadvertently targeting the on ice product with your antics. [mod]. Do you not know how rich this guy is?

[mod]

The argument of "hes really rich so dont bother trying to effect change with your money, he doesnt care " doesnt work for Eugene Melnyk. He quite clearly needs the money and cares a lot about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The Sens seem to have helped out in this regard by significantly reducing their concert schedule. Have you seen their concert schedule for the next year? It's as barren as the Sahara.

We're getting skipped on a LOT of concerts that used to stop here.
Maybe OSEG is doing their part to keep the party from Kanata.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You're inadvertently targeting the on ice product with your antics. So it not being about it, is like Israel apologizing to Russia for accidentally downing an aircraft in the midst of conflict. Its irrelevant. Do you not know how rich this guy is?

Why is your writing style exactly like Draculas?

Reactions: InAbsensia

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
You're inadvertently targeting the on ice product with your antics. So it not being about it, is like Israel apologizing to Russia for accidentally downing an aircraft in the midst of conflict. Its irrelevant. Do you not know how rich this guy is?

Congrats you are now at PhD level.

The players contracts are guaranteed. Doesn't hurt them if I boycott.

I still get to cheer for the team and save money. Doesn't hurt me if I boycott.

Melnyk is still responsible to pay the players and run the business with less revenues...guess we've finally figured out who a boycott hurts!

Reactions: Gesus and armani

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Anyways, I'll keep supporting the team and doing so proudly.

Almost everyone is still supporting the team. The number of people who have legit bailed on the team itself is such a small number against the whole that it's statistically insignificant.

People aren't supporting the current business practices of the team. That's another thing entirely.

Most people should be moderately intelligent enough to tell those two concepts from each other, [mod]

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
I see it like a vegan calling me a murderer for eating chicken. Sure its their right to feel that way, but I'm entitled to laugh at the ridiculous nature of their taunts, especially if they drive off in an SUV. That's just irony.

Why is it ridiculous? And what's the irony? Serious questions.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Meh. "Egg" is obviously someones' burner. Pretty good idea who.

Such a shame that some folks get their jollies by trolling this forum and pissing off whats left of this fanbase. I guess they really want to see the Sens die.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
If they play horrible, by all means. I don't have a problem with a customer speaking with their feet. That's business.

You aren't doing your customers a favor with the product you sell them. They're doing you a favor by buying your product.

A smart hockey owner will humble themselves to that fact. Any business owner.

However, boycotting to demand an owner sells their asset, is a client no different than calling for a boycott to Wal-Mart due to poor service. Or because a rude waiter at Hooters told you to f-off.

Sure you may get thousands of disgruntled people joining you, but you will have a mighty tough time getting the Walton family to step down from something they legally own.

Just like you will struggle with Melnyk.

Some fans are rational, and asking him to step down. Others will speak with their feet and simply won't attend any games.

But to demand it? He bought his team fair and square. You literally cannot do a thing, legally to him to sell his team by force.

Just the entitlement behind it. Don't want to go to a game? Don't. Simple.

Heck, why don't you picket the Canadian Tire Centre? Same line of thinking.

Like I said. Some people don't understand how power works.

You have zero leverage.

Patience and leveraging are your best friends when trying to get a deal done in your favor.

You're doing it wrong.

I think you're missing a major part to this. No one is trying to use a legal remedy to force him to sell the team. I haven't been following things as closely this past year (thanks Melynk), but I haven't seen anyone try to bring an application in court to force him out.

The point isn't to legally force him to sell the team, it's to put someone who (we presume) is insecure financially, in a position where he is forced to cover financial losses and negative media attention. With the end goal of wearing him down to the point where he ends up saying, "I'm done."

Sure, as you suggest Melynk could just hold up the middle finger and keep doing what he's doing. He could theoretically beat us all, but when the arena is empty, the anger fades to apathy, and no one cares anymore - what has he won? It's a Phyrric Victory.

I've already tuned out the Sens, I'm ready to tune them out even more. I don't care anymore. I haven't purchased a ticket to a Sens game in over 2 seasons. I watched less than half the games last season. I imagined at this point in my career I'd be looking at season ticket packages, not anymore. I know people that are giving up their season tickets after having them since day 1, literally their names are on that wall in the arena of the original supporters. They are never coming back.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Just a reminder to keep the political references out of here, I edited some posts to remove it, but from this point on I'm just going to nuke the post because I don't have th patience to be editing on mobile

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
You're asking professional sports fans not to be emotional about their team?

Nice try. You left out the word impulse. The same thing that will stop a level headed Sens fan from punching a Leafs fan after hearing them laugh about your playoff history.

Emotions are what hockey about.

Following bad impulses have a lengthy suspension history surrounding it with players, and arena bans and embarrassing YouTube videos for fans.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I am not going to stop supporting the team, just because a small fraction of the fan base is demanding for an owner to step down, not realizing how incredibly delusional that this is.

No one is telling you you can't support the team. Most of us are still supporting the team. We just don't want to give money to Melnyk. We're still going to watch most of the games and follow the team and hope they win.

You're just making up stuff to be angry about. That, or what you're REALLY trying to say is that you can't be a fan unless you buy tickets to the games, and that's a whole other slippery slope that I bet you don't want to get into.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
Erik Karlsson has a legendary rebellious and stubborn streak. Anyone who knows him know this.

Melnyk is equally stubborn.

He won't let go of his team until he is ready to.

This then becomes a goalie graveyard and team that players avoid due to a growing reputation of an unexistant level of fan support.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Someone posting an opinion that opposes your own isn't a troll. My opinion is rather rational.
Your position is irrational and your analogies are horrendous.

I'm supporting the team I am a fan of.
As is your right.

It's also my right to point out that you giving money to Melnyk hurts the long term interests of this franchise.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The only thing that should matter, is the on ice product. If its clear they will be garbage and won't compete, you put yourselves in a far greater negotiating position.

Hard for any outsider to not see the fans turning their backs as highly confusing, as a result.

Well, based on anecdotal evidence from an admittedly small sample size, my immediate impressions of Non-Sens fans in their reaction to our team since the most recent trade deadline would suggest that they support the anti-Melnyk move in general. I don't think I've ever met someone who doesn't support any efforts to put pressure on him financially to have their voices heard. I've never once heard a fan from another team who is confused about the grass roots movement against Melnyk. Not a single one. You'd think that if it were "hard for any outsider to not see it as highly confusing", I would have met or talked to or read about, or herd even anecdotally about one of these outsider people you are referring to.

Reactions: Deku

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Or cutting costs further.
Feel free.

Salary cap floor ensures he can only go so far.

Of course he'll be damaging his product and making it even easier for the boycotters to empty the arena and crush his bottom line.

But sure, he's welcome to play a game of chicken he can't win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad