FINALLY... Despres HAS COME BACK to... the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Josh Manson when taking over Simon Despres role on Ducks played as well or better than First Ballot Hall of Famer.

After being a Despres fan for awhile you get to see what he really is, a guy that's good around the boards with a penchant for getting out of position for either going for a dumb hit that has no bearing on the play or misreading the play. You can see improvement in players a little bit here and there, this guy is still a mediocre at best D man and that's all he ever will be. With his new contract I wouldn't trade a bag of pucks to bring him back.

Pouliot was really bad, borderline horrendous for a long stretch last year. What I seen from his this year so far compared to Mister First Ballot Hall of Famer is a more fluid player, a player that is taking smart risks with a potential to greatly elevate his offensive game.

D men in this league need to be able to make strong passes up the ice, they need to be a fluid skaters and take smart offensive risks as a play develops.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Josh Manson when taking over Simon Despres role on Ducks played as well or better than First Ballot Hall of Famer.

After being a Despres fan for awhile you get to see what he really is, a guy that's good around the boards with a penchant for getting out of position for either going for a dumb hit that has no bearing on the play or misreading the play. You can see improvement in players a little bit here and there, this guy is still a mediocre at best D man and that's all he ever will be. With his new contract I wouldn't trade a bag of pucks to bring him back.

Pouliot was really bad, borderline horrendous for a long stretch last year. What I seen from his this year so far compared to Mister First Ballot Hall of Famer is a more fluid player, a player that is taking smart risks with a potential to greatly elevate his offensive game.

D men in this league need to be able to make strong passes up the ice, they need to be a fluid skaters and take smart offensive risks as a play develops.

Despres has the skill set to move the puck fine. He has a good shot from the point. He is a great skater.

Also, saying that Despres is a solid defenseman is not claiming he is the best defenseman on the Ducks.

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Despres has the skill set to move the puck fine. He has a good shot from the point. He is a great skater.

Also, saying that Despres is a solid defenseman is not claiming he is the best defenseman on the Ducks.

That's the thing, I do not think he is a great skater. When I think great skater for defensemen I think of guys like Letang, Keith, Karlsson and the Subbans of the world. They are great.

There are a core of about 12 great skaters. Then a drop off after that. Despres is not in the next grouping either. He is a solid skater, nothing great about that facet of his game.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
That's the thing, I do not think he is a great skater. When I think great skater for defensemen I think of guys like Letang, Keith, Karlsson and the Subbans of the world. They are great.

There are a core of about 12 great skaters. Then a drop off after that. Despres is not in the next grouping either. He is a solid skater, nothing great about that facet of his game.

those are elite skaters, there're plenty of great skaters.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
those are elite skaters, there're plenty of great skaters.

Exactly.

When Paul Coffey compares your skating to that of his own you just jumped into the "elite" company of skaters. Letang is an "elite" skater while Despres is a "great" one. There is absolutely no shame in being a great skater.

Anyone that thinks Despres wouldn't help the Pens now is either blind or just a stubborn hater.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Boy-I-say-boy---cartoon-meme.jpg

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Here's a fun exercise: Ask yourself this; who is more irrational, the person who posts in a thread dedicated to a former Penguin player because they want to see said player succeed? Or the person who enters the dedicated thread, knowing full well what goes on, and tries to push their agenda onto other people?

In short, **** off.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

What the hell is the bolded supposed to be? No one here is calling him a 1st ballot hall of famer.

Also, what does comparing Despres to Pouliot have to do with anything? Did we trade Despres for Pouliot?

The only comparison worth making is Despres vs Lovejoy since that is who we traded Despres for. We clearly lost the trade and we could really use Despres' skillset now and for the next decade. It was an awful trade.

Now, if you want to compare Pen's young D vs Despres that's fine, but it's not relevant to why this thread exists. But for the record, I'd take Despres over Pouliot and probably Dumo, but Dumo has been a rock this year that swapping them out solves one problem and creates another.

The reason this thread still exists is:

1. We traded Despres for Lovejoy
2. Many posters felt Despres got a raw deal in Pittsburgh, was under appreciated and the media made **** up to justify moving him
3. His play in Anaheim, and BB Bruce's glowing reviews, justify our feelings that Despres was under valued both as a player and trade chip in Pittsburgh
4. A few of us really, really liked him as a prospect and player. He was legitimately my 2nd or 3rd favorite Penguin so I was really upset to see him go.
5. We are weirdos and it's fun.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Okay then he is a really good skater. You can't set the bar for great skaters at 12 and then criticize Despres for his skating.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Now that we're not playing Despres, I feel more charitable towards that lovable scamp. But still, man this is an impressive cult of personality going here.

I wonder if there would have been a Sergei Zubov Appreciation Society in the 1990s?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Now that we're not playing Despres, I feel more charitable towards that lovable scamp. But still, man this is an impressive cult of personality going here.

I wonder if there would have been a Sergei Zubov Appreciation Society in the 1990s?

There should have been if there wasn't :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark