FINALLY... Despres HAS COME BACK to... the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Maybe hockey just isn't your game, Ike. I know, let's have a spelling contest!

2nk5nd0.jpg

:laugh:

Such a sex symbol...

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-12-10%2520at%252012.55.46%2520AM.png

The greatest goofy hockey smile in a generation. He almost looks like he was born to star in the remake of Slapshot II (because it sucked so bad they should let Elmer help remake it).

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
blah blah blah get over it blah blah blah

Stayed up way past my bedtime this past week to get a good look at him.

First, it's clear that he's playing a 100 ft game right now. Haven't seen him lead a rush yet. Has joined one or two (including a nice one last night that led to extended zone time and a high quality chance).

But his defensive game is strong.

Second, his defensive game is strong. This is what always bothered me about the trade. The great irony. Everything the team wanted you to believe Rob Scuderi is, they already had in a younger, cheaper, better Simon Despres.

The guy is a very good (elite?) PKer. If the puck is behind the goal line, he's winning it and clearing it. He's great along the boards, in those dirty areas.

He's good in front of his net. Physical, hard on the body, active stick. He'll risk a penalty to prevent goals. We've discussed it in GDTs repeatedly, but if you keep doing it, the league is going to stop calling it. His style of play fits in perfectly in the West, where penalties for physical play and lumberjacking seem more seldom than the East.

His first pass is still top notch. While he's not joining the rush, he's great on the breakout itself because he's actually able to hit players in the neutral zone, stationary and moving alike.

Maybe he never adds to his offensive game, but even if he tops out at a 25-30pt defensive monster, who the **** cares? You win with that kind of person.

On top of all of that, I believe he's made each and everyone of his defensive partners better.

But hey, Robbie Scuderi is a great man.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

First, it's clear that he's playing a 100 ft game right now. Haven't seen him lead a rush yet. Has joined one or two (including a nice one last night that led to extended zone time and a high quality chance).

Second, his defensive game is strong. This is what always bothered me about the trade. The great irony. Everything the team wanted you to believe Rob Scuderi is, they already had in a younger, cheaper, better Simon Despres.

The guy is a very good (elite?) PKer. If the puck is behind the goal line, he's winning it and clearing it. He's great along the boards, in those dirty areas.

He's good in front of his net. Physical, hard on the body, active stick. He'll risk a penalty to prevent goals. We've discussed it in GDTs repeatedly, but if you keep doing it, the league is going to stop calling it. His style of play fits in perfectly in the West, where penalties for physical play and lumberjacking seem more seldom than the East.

His first pass is still top notch. While he's not joining the rush, he's great on the breakout itself because he's actually able to hit players in the neutral zone, stationary and moving alike.

Maybe he never adds to his offensive game, but even if he tops out at a 25-30pt defensive monster, who the **** cares? You win with that kind of person.

On top of all of that, I believe he's made each and everyone of his defensive partners better.

and what elite player and top draft picks did we get for him?

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

Hey now, a quick perusal of the Hawks board shows what an indispensable man Spumoni is.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh:

I really hope that someone high up is taking note of these terrible player evaluations for when it comes time to replace JR

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Good post. That pretty much sums it up.

DK is incapable of looking at it objectively and is probably one of the few people around the league who can't recognize Simon's value.

That's because he's a petulant little child that can't possibly admit he was wrong.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
One of you lovely peeps gonna tell me what dejan and Despres talked about?

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I'm secure in the fact that he's a #6 D man at best.

If you can't see the obvious than......wow

It reminds me of the days when the Flyers traded an overrated JVR for an even worse Luke Schenn. Anyone with eyes knew he was a #6 D man but these boards were filled by glowing Schenn reports for HF members.

People harping on Despres and his supposed greatness truly look like fools.

I originally liked the guy but it became clear what he was, a strong D man with very limited O skill in a game that needs very good puck movers.

Derrick Pouliot will be a much better player than Despres will be.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm secure in the fact that he's a #6 D man at best.

If you can't see the obvious than......wow

It reminds me of the days when the Flyers traded an overrated JVR for an even worse Luke Schenn. Anyone with eyes knew he was a #6 D man but these boards were filled by glowing Schenn reports for HF members.

People harping on Despres and his supposed greatness truly look like fools.

I originally liked the guy but it became clear what he was, a strong D man with very limited O skill in a game that needs very good puck movers.

Derrick Pouliot will be a much better player than Despres will be.

You haven't really pointed out anything. You've said a whole lot of words without making a point, other than:

you don't like Simon Despres and you are going to attempt to say that in what you think is the most-abrasive way possible.

You think Despres is a #6 at best. Okay. You think "wow!" if someone can't see it. Okay.

I disagree with you. It's not worth discussing because I do not think your opinion is anything more than a desperate attempt at getting attention through trolling. So if you truly believe it, okay, well, everyone is entitled to opinions. And if you're just attempting to get attention, I guess you succeeded this time. Congrats.

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
Ok, how about this. In your opinion, who do you believe will be a better NHL player and why.

Simon Despres or Derrick Pouliot

I came late to the party, I'd take Pouliot personally but this shouldnt even be a question because we should have both in our lineup.

How Pens management felt the need - agh screw it no matter how long this trade went down this is just the ultimate what the? trade...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Ok, how about this. In your opinion, who do you believe will be a better NHL player and why.

Simon Despres or Derrick Pouliot

Despres is already the better player. Pouliot could potentially be better, but he is actual playing a pretty similar role to what Despres was playing for the Pens at his age, only coaching and management actually want to put Pooh in a position to succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad