FINALLY... Despres HAS COME BACK to... the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I think a big reason people are so fanatical about Despres is because of the way he was treated while he was here and on the way out. He was never given a fair shot, the team essentially said "he's too inconsistent and nothing but a fighter," then the media painted him out to be some alcoholic with a crippling gambling addiction to boot. All in the name of covering up for an egregious trade that made us weaker at the time, and will continue to have an effect on this team for years to come.

There was simply no evaluation of the trade that made sense for us, and no way we "won" when weighed out. Better player at the time? Despres. Better player moving forward? Despres. Asset values? A 23 year old defensive prospect with size, skating and physicality vs. a 31 year old never-was that we gave up for anything we could get a couple seasons prior. We lost that trade horribly, even if you don't think Despres is "Bobby Orr," as the idiots love to default to.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think a big reason people are so fanatical about Despres is because of the way he was treated while he was here and on the way out. He was never given a fair shot, the team essentially said "he's too inconsistent and nothing but a fighter," then the media painted him out to be some alcoholic with a crippling gambling addiction to boot. All in the name of covering up for an egregious trade that made us weaker at the time, and will continue to have an effect on this team for years to come.

That and he has an awesome mustache and grin :laugh:

On a serious note, I know a lot of us on this board, and posting in this particular thread, are in our late 20's to mid 30's (not making any sort of judgment on those younger or older than this). Looking at that timeline, the Cup win in 2009 was our early 20's. Despres and Beau were the only legit prospects taken and kept between 2007 and 2010. For many of us, he was probably the first higher end prospect we followed this closely and felt invested in where we were old enough to understand the nuances of drafting and developing a player.

Then the team **** on him and propped up Scuderi and then dumped him for Lovejoy, a guy the Pens traded a few years back for a 5th. It made me angry personally.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Little know fact-- Simon Despres is actually a genetically-engineered, vat grown hockey player whose DNA is a mix of Sergei Zubov's, Paul Coffey's, and a box of Tim Horton's Timbits.

Let's go back in history. Why was Zubov traded. Somebody didn't like him. And we all know who that was. Zubov for Hatcher, a bad, bad trade. Somebody didn't like SD and more than hockey talent was involved. I sure would like to know who that was. Again, another bad, bad trade, SD for LJ can not be defended by even the dumbest hockey observer.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
That's another good point. It wouldn't exactly be wrong to say Despres was inconsistent here, but that wouldn't tell the whole picture. He was dicked around by Bylsma, and then by Johnston, and then he was dumped for nothing of significance.

All the while, we hear about how reliable and consistent Lovejoy and Scuderi are, or how Kunitz is some kind of superhero for playing through a multi-year long disaster on the ice, or how Craig Adams is some kind of legend for putzing around on the ice for X number of games.

Much like the media makes people hate Sid, or Toews, or whomever, this team and it's media has made me revile players on this team I normally would only dislike and think were crappy players.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
his best game of the year (at least post injury) followed what was surely his worst in a Ducks uniform, including the absolute worst pinch I have ever witnessed (he wound up being the lone forechecker, down behind the net.

While shorthanded)

He occasionally looks slow, mentally and physically, and I've yet to see him be as aggressive as he was last season. Hopefully it's still just rust and game shape/timing.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
his best game of the year (at least post injury) followed what was surely his worst in a Ducks uniform, including the absolute worst pinch I have ever witnessed (he wound up being the lone forechecker, down behind the net.

While shorthanded)

He occasionally looks slow, mentally and physically, and I've yet to see him be as aggressive as he was last season. Hopefully it's still just rust and game shape/timing.

This was the first full Ducks game I've seen in a while. I thought he looked a bit hesitant in terms of when to be aggressive and when to back off. Looks like for now, he is siding with playing more conservative. That said, he made really good decisions with the puck and a lot of subtle plays that go unnoticed. He's clearly a top 4 defensive dman with transition capabilities. Once he gets settled, I'd like to see the offense come, but he doesn't really need to be that on the Ducks to be valuable.

Also, Perron is a very nice fit with Getzlaf. They play at similar paces, cycle down low together, and seem to read off each other well. Perron is also getting fairly significant PP time in high slot. He wasn't getting that here, because Kunitz, so I see why he is more valuable to the Ducks. We misused him, to a degree, because Kunitz, but he still looks like a better fit there.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
This was the first full Ducks game I've seen in a while. I thought he looked a bit hesitant in terms of when to be aggressive and when to back off. Looks like for now, he is siding with playing more conservative. That said, he made really good decisions with the puck and a lot of subtle plays that go unnoticed. He's clearly a top 4 defensive dman with transition capabilities. Once he gets settled, I'd like to see the offense come, but he doesn't really need to be that on the Ducks to be valuable.

Also, Perron is a very nice fit with Getzlaf. They play at similar paces, cycle down low together, and seem to read off each other well. Perron is also getting fairly significant PP time in high slot. He wasn't getting that here, because Kunitz, so I see why he is more valuable to the Ducks. We misused him, to a degree, because Kunitz, but he still looks like a better fit there.

Perron doesn't look out of place at all. Kunitz. It's really nice to see. Kunitz. The only acquisition that made me more excited than Perron. Kunitz. Was Iggy. Kunitz/Dupuis. I wish I were a kid so I could say the 2012-2016 Penguins ruined my childhood.

As for Desi, I think part of his hesitation is he just doesn't have the wheels. If you look at his rushes last year vs this year, there are moments of "okay, I'm gonna do this!" and he goes nowhere. I feel bad for him.

As for last night, he made a nice play against McDavid in the 3rd, and made a really stellar play that the Ducks announcers surprisingly didn't mention (surprising because they seem eager to praise anything he does) against Hall behind the net. Won the physical battle, stripped him of the puck, and then made a nice little backhand outlet and started the breakout, all in one fluid motion.

He's also ridiculously strong with the puck. We saw a glimpse of it against the Penguins, where he had a strong kill against the top unit, but last night he made two backhanded clears with people draped on him. He's a *really* good PKer. Really good.

Oct 18, 2011
fatty is starting to get on track, the only thing is, as long as he is paired with vatanen, don't expect much offense. even though simon does like to get aggressive sometimes, he will probably play a more conservative game but i very much enjoy his presence in front of the defending net and his breakouts

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
the important takeaway here is that you've accepted Despres as fatty. Praise be.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I wish we had targeted someone like Vatanen back for Despres, not saying the Ducks would have done it but we could have asked for so much and we came out of it with Lovejoy:rant:

Ok I'll stop now!!

cannon fodder

Nov 16, 2009
Q&A: Simon Despres

By Kyle Shohara
AnaheimDucks.com

An imposing figure on the ice, 6-foot-4, 218-pound defenseman Simon Despres is anything but that outside the rink. Soft-spoken and reserved, the 24-year-old finds enjoyment away from the game in the form of reading books and playing chess.

It’s been a year since he was acquired from the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for defenseman Ben Lovejoy (March 2, 2015), and it’s been a challenging season for Despres after he missed three months with a concussion. He returned to the lineup on January 26, once again playing at a high level that had made him such a valuable part of an outstanding Ducks defensive corps.

Despres sat down after a recent practice to answer some personal questions – a few of which submitted by fans using the hashtag #AskDesi.

What do you like most about playing in Southern California?
I’d be lying if I didn’t say it was the weather. I love the sun. It’s always a blue sky.

Is it nice to have a guy on team (David Perron) you can speak to in French?
It’s so refreshing to be able to speak French. It’s my first language and there aren’t many French-speaking people in California. It’s definitely a breath of fresh air for me.

Why did you go with No. 24 here?
If I would’ve known [former Mighty Duck] Ruslan Salei had 24, I don’t think I would’ve chosen it, out of respect. When I was asked what number I wanted, I had a few to choose from. I had no idea of the history of any of the numbers. I just picked 24 without knowing. I used to have No. 47 in Pittsburgh.

What is it about this sport that excites you?
It was my dream growing up. I came from Montreal where hockey is a religion when you’re growing up. We eat, sleep and always talk about hockey. It’s a one-of-a-kind sport. You need precision, strength, speed and agility. You need to understand the game.

Are you superstitious?
Not at all.

Do you have a pregame routine?
I have my routine, but I change it. It’s not the same from year to year. I have a couple of little tricks to get ready. I listen to my body and have a couple of key words I tell myself before each game starts to be the best I can be to help my team.

Which player in the NHL have you learned from the most?
I’ve played with a lot of icons and All-Stars in this league, so I can’t pinpoint one specifically. When I was in Pittsburgh, I learned from Pascal Dupuis, Kris Letang, Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Jarome Iginla, Bill Guerin, Max Talbot. I can go on and on. It’s a learning process. I learn every day. To be around guys who have been successful in this league for a long time definitely helped my progression into the player I am today.

What is your favorite animated movie?
Kung Fu Panda

What’s your favorite Disney movie?
I don’t remember the last Disney movie I watched, but I enjoy Disney movies. I’ve definitely watched my fair share of them as a kid. I loved Lion King.

What did you like most about your hometown of Laval, Quebec? What made it special to you?
I enjoyed going for bike rides. I know the entire west side of Laval like the back of my hand. All the trails and shortcuts. I was kind of an explorer when I was a kid. I’d get lost and find my way back home. Instead of watching TV, I’d ride my bike, even in the winter.

What kind of music are you into?
"I’m diversified when it comes to music. I like old school rock like Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Styx, The Beatles, and The Rolling Stones. I also like reggae, hip-hop and techno. I enjoy good music."

Aside from weather, what are some of the biggest differences living here and in Quebec?
It’s a different way of thinking. The lifestyle is different. For me, it was a culture shock coming here although I’ve traveled a lot in my life. Technology-wise, it’s way more advanced here. The roads are well-constructed here. The fact that it always feels like summer here helps the roads. Our roads back home are all broken down because of the four seasons. One day it’s minus-20 and the next day it’s plus-10 Celsius. California is more advanced in a lot of things.

Do you like to read?
I love to read. If you watch your brain activity while you read a book compared to watching a movie, there’s more activity. And, it’s more fun to read a book than watching something on TV.

What do you like to cook?
There’s a crepe recipe I have from back home. It’s like pancakes, but a little slimmer. I do it from scratch, and it’s fairly easy. It’s two eggs, one cup of milk, one cup of flour, a little bit of salt and vanilla extract. You stir it up and put some maple syrup and fruits on top. It’s pretty good.

You’re a big chess player. What is it about chess that you enjoy the most?
I don’t play as much as I’d like to these days because I don’t have partners to play with right now, but what I like about it is the strategy. You have to think a couple moves ahead. That’s the way of thinking in life, too. On the ice you have to be a couple moves ahead. In business you have to be a couple moves ahead. Chess is very beneficial for someone in life to learn.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
By Kyle Shohara
AnaheimDucks.com

An imposing figure on the ice, 6-foot-4, 218-pound defenseman Simon Despres is anything but that outside the rink. Soft-spoken and reserved, the 24-year-old finds enjoyment away from the game in the form of reading books and playing chess.

It’s been a year since he was acquired from the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for defenseman Ben Lovejoy (March 2, 2015), and it’s been a challenging season for Despres after he missed three months with a concussion. He returned to the lineup on January 26, once again playing at a high level that had made him such a valuable part of an outstanding Ducks defensive corps.

Despres sat down after a recent practice to answer some personal questions – a few of which submitted by fans using the hashtag #AskDesi.

What do you like most about playing in Southern California?
I’d be lying if I didn’t say it was the weather. I love the sun. It’s always a blue sky.

Is it nice to have a guy on team (David Perron) you can speak to in French?
It’s so refreshing to be able to speak French. It’s my first language and there aren’t many French-speaking people in California. It’s definitely a breath of fresh air for me.

Why did you go with No. 24 here?
If I would’ve known [former Mighty Duck] Ruslan Salei had 24, I don’t think I would’ve chosen it, out of respect. When I was asked what number I wanted, I had a few to choose from. I had no idea of the history of any of the numbers. I just picked 24 without knowing. I used to have No. 47 in Pittsburgh.

What is it about this sport that excites you?
It was my dream growing up. I came from Montreal where hockey is a religion when you’re growing up. We eat, sleep and always talk about hockey. It’s a one-of-a-kind sport. You need precision, strength, speed and agility. You need to understand the game.

Are you superstitious?
Not at all.

Do you have a pregame routine?
I have my routine, but I change it. It’s not the same from year to year. I have a couple of little tricks to get ready. I listen to my body and have a couple of key words I tell myself before each game starts to be the best I can be to help my team.

Which player in the NHL have you learned from the most?
I’ve played with a lot of icons and All-Stars in this league, so I can’t pinpoint one specifically. When I was in Pittsburgh, I learned from Pascal Dupuis, Kris Letang, Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Jarome Iginla, Bill Guerin, Max Talbot. I can go on and on. It’s a learning process. I learn every day. To be around guys who have been successful in this league for a long time definitely helped my progression into the player I am today.

What is your favorite animated movie?
Kung Fu Panda

What’s your favorite Disney movie?
I don’t remember the last Disney movie I watched, but I enjoy Disney movies. I’ve definitely watched my fair share of them as a kid. I loved Lion King.

What did you like most about your hometown of Laval, Quebec? What made it special to you?
I enjoyed going for bike rides. I know the entire west side of Laval like the back of my hand. All the trails and shortcuts. I was kind of an explorer when I was a kid. I’d get lost and find my way back home. Instead of watching TV, I’d ride my bike, even in the winter.

What kind of music are you into?
"I’m diversified when it comes to music. I like old school rock like Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Styx, The Beatles, and The Rolling Stones. I also like reggae, hip-hop and techno. I enjoy good music."

Aside from weather, what are some of the biggest differences living here and in Quebec?
It’s a different way of thinking. The lifestyle is different. For me, it was a culture shock coming here although I’ve traveled a lot in my life. Technology-wise, it’s way more advanced here. The roads are well-constructed here. The fact that it always feels like summer here helps the roads. Our roads back home are all broken down because of the four seasons. One day it’s minus-20 and the next day it’s plus-10 Celsius. California is more advanced in a lot of things.

Do you like to read?
I love to read. If you watch your brain activity while you read a book compared to watching a movie, there’s more activity. And, it’s more fun to read a book than watching something on TV.

What do you like to cook?
There’s a crepe recipe I have from back home. It’s like pancakes, but a little slimmer. I do it from scratch, and it’s fairly easy. It’s two eggs, one cup of milk, one cup of flour, a little bit of salt and vanilla extract. You stir it up and put some maple syrup and fruits on top. It’s pretty good.

You’re a big chess player. What is it about chess that you enjoy the most?
I don’t play as much as I’d like to these days because I don’t have partners to play with right now, but what I like about it is the strategy. You have to think a couple moves ahead. That’s the way of thinking in life, too. On the ice you have to be a couple moves ahead. In business you have to be a couple moves ahead. Chess is very beneficial for someone in life to learn.

Thanks for that. Never change seemoh, never change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $865.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark