FINALLY... Despres HAS COME BACK to... the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Finished a +1 (was on the ice when Boston pulled their goalie and Kesler scored), had 20+ minutes, at least 4 hits, and 2 PIM.

Also, was it a coincidence that this is the most Anaheim has scored all season?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Finished a +1 (was on the ice when Boston pulled their goalie and Kesler scored), had 20+ minutes, at least 4 hits, and 2 PIM.

Also, was it a coincidence that this is the most Anaheim has scored all season?

Was it a coincidence that the Pens had a crazy winning record when Despres was in the line up?

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I'll take it. :handclap:

Good to see Perron putting up points too. I had a feeling that he'd be a good fit for them.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I just happen to agree with DK on this, and fail to see what is so special with Despres aside from him being a sexy 1st round pick.

Such a sex symbol...

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-12-10%2520at%252012.55.46%2520AM.png

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
I just happen to agree with DK on this, and fail to see what is so special with Despres aside from him being a sexy 1st round pick.

What is so special about Lovejoys calming vet presences? He makes even more mistakes than Despres who had to cover for the worst defenseman in the league while playing here. Is it Lovejoys constant screening of his own goalie? Or his tries to injure MAF? His constant icing of the puck (unfortunately he loses this skill on the PK). Or is it his inspiring "I can't play this much TOI! I was brought in to play lesser competition!" talk in the playoffs?

Even if you think that Despres wasn't half as good as some here (and obviously Barbecue Bruce since he played him 1st pairing minutes in the playoffs) the trade is miserable. I think you are trying to outsmart people claiming they are judging him only on his draft position. You are wrong.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
if Despres were to be nothing more or nothing less than the player he was last year, he would be:

6'4, 220lb
Good skating
Good first pass

25pts
225+ hits

If you go to advanced stats, his shot suppression and zone entry stats are both very good.

Over their last long stretch of games (so Despres' 14-15 campaign and Maatta's last two), Maatta has out-scored Despres by a whopping 5 points over an 82-game period, while not providing the physicality or skating.

People keep throwing this meme around that Despres is dumb or something, and you just stop arguing it because what's the point.

If you don't think Despres is good or special, that's fine and you're welcome to it, but even without acknowledging hits or size or skating or advanced stats he's better than Dumoulin and Pouliot and Cole and Lovejoy, and he's marginally worse than Maatta.

And he was forced to carry Scuderi his entire Penguins career, something neither Dumoulin nor Maatta were capable of doing.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yup. Despres is awesome and I miss him.

Maatta-Letang
Dumo-Despres
Pouliot-whoever

That was the dream and JR and the 9 blew it.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
if Despres were to be nothing more or nothing less than the player he was last year, he would be:

6'4, 220lb
Good skating
Good first pass

25pts
225+ hits

If you go to advanced stats, his shot suppression and zone entry stats are both very good.

Over their last long stretch of games (so Despres' 14-15 campaign and Maatta's last two), Maatta has out-scored Despres by a whopping 5 points over an 82-game period, while not providing the physicality or skating.

People keep throwing this meme around that Despres is dumb or something, and you just stop arguing it because what's the point.

If you don't think Despres is good or special, that's fine and you're welcome to it, but even without acknowledging hits or size or skating or advanced stats he's better than Dumoulin and Pouliot and Cole and Lovejoy, and he's marginally worse than Maatta.

And he was forced to carry Scuderi his entire Penguins career, something neither Dumoulin nor Maatta were capable of doing.

you left out "a bit of a mean streak" and that's something we lack and need.
edit; I think scuds is wearing his no. out of respect.:)

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Why aren't people in the baseball or football threads complaining about how people aren't letting go of something not Penguins-related?

People need to let go their need to control what others think about.

On that note, gonna go belt Let it Go

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I wonder who has a harder time letting go; People who casually comment in a Despres thread about how he's been doing in Anaheim, or the people who constantly come in here and whine about aforementioned people posting in a Despres thread.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

6'4, 220lb
Good skating
Good first pass

25pts
225+ hits

Good post. That pretty much sums it up.

DK is incapable of looking at it objectively and is probably one of the few people around the league who can't recognize Simon's value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad