World Cup: FINAL: France vs. Croatia, 7/15/2018

Who wins the World Cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
England was arguably a superior opponent to Croatia per most experts before the match started.

This says more about those english "experts" than it does the quality of the two teams. Croatia was better than england on paper, they've been more impressive at this tourney, and they were the better team after 20 minutes yesterday.

Reactions: maclean

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
In general, with a few notable exceptions only, you tend to like your own players a lot better if you don't hear them talk much. I think Modric and Lovren are guys who certainly can be called 'controversial' (see their involvement in the corruption scandals in Croatia) on a personal level.

Of course, getting to the World Cup Final (even if they lose) will likely put a halo over their head for the rest of their lives and all those problems for them in Croatia could 'disappear'. Of course, it doesn't change the fact that they were probably complicit in a scheme that was designed to enrich a few men at the cost of Croatian football's future..but people have short attention spans.

Except for Christoph Kramer, that dude can talk about anything & I'll enjoy listening to him :laugh:

Last edited:

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
I think there's definitely an argument to be made that England is equal if not superior to Croatia in terms of overall talent. The problem is that Croatia has an amazing midfield while England does not.
I don't think so, Croatia are a better side than England. England outperformed expectations; however disappointing the loss last night was this was a successful tournament for us and will be remembered as such.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
For people who say England outperformed their expectations can you expand a bit on this? I mean, I know no one probably saw them in the SF, but given who they played, do you see this really as an overperformance? I'm asking because some of the English pundits really disagreed with this view.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't see it as an overperformance. They finished 2nd in their group as they should have, and they beat Colombia without their best player which was by far their best win (and it was a bit lucky), and then they beat Sweden who while plucky and opportunistic were never a very good team.

England met expectations this year. That's something to celebrate because it's the first time in a long time that they have as far as I can remember. It's certainly a great turnaround for them from last World Cup and the Euro.

Reactions: Eisen and cgf

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The entire footballing world? Trying to downplay freakin Argentina is kind of funny, especially to Poland.

The entire footballing world is ignorant. Argentina had no business being a favourite only reason was there name and Messi. Hell if he stayed retired they wouldn't have made it.

Not trying to down play them but even at their worst a SA team had an infinitely better campaign than a European team that was the only Euro in their group but managed 1 win.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
For people who say England outperformed their expectations can you expand a bit on this? I mean, I know no one probably saw them in the SF, but given who they played, do you see this really as an overperformance? I'm asking because some of the English pundits really disagreed with this view.
Coming into the tournament if you said England make the semis I would say yeah, they overachieved.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I was surprised that they beat Colombia :dunno:

Other than that match...which they needed penalties to decide despite Colombia missing their star...yeah. Beating Panama, Tunisia & Sweden isn't exactly the most impressive of WC runs...

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I think there's definitely an argument to be made that England is equal if not superior to Croatia in terms of overall talent. The problem is that Croatia has an amazing midfield while England does not.
I agree with this
we might have been about 6 inches away from [talking about Kane's missed oppo] saying "well, the better team won, they took their chances and finished" if England had come out on top...

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I was surprised that they beat Colombia :dunno:

Other than that match...which they needed penalties to decide despite Colombia missing their star...yeah. Beating Panama, Tunisia & Sweden isn't exactly the most impressive of WC runs...
Quite frankly I was too, after all, I voted for Colombia, but sadly they decided to act like clowns rather than play football.

Reactions: cgf

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
England did well because contrary to many other teams, they didn't lose to inferior opponents. And beat someone at their level (James less Colombia). AND won a penalty shootout.
Beating Sweden cleanly wasn't a given either.
Being this close to beating Croatia isn't a given either.

All in all, it's a very successful WC for them and something to build on once they can incorporate their talented youth over the next 5-10 years.

Reactions: Stray Wasp and cgf

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I don't know what specious means.
Basically it sounds right superficially but in actuality, isn't. Saying that the better team is the one that wins is not accurate.
Sure they are. Hilarious.
I don't think so, Croatia are a better side than England. England outperformed expectations; however disappointing the loss last night was this was a successful tournament for us and will be remembered as such.

I don't know if I would make the argument, and it's hard to do because of the difference in formations, but if you take the lineups, there's an argument to be had.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Basically it sounds right superficially but in actuality, isn't. Saying that the better team is the one that wins is not accurate.

I don't know if I would make the argument, and it's hard to do because of the difference in formations, but if you take the lineups, there's an argument to be had.

No there absolutely isn't. Hell, I wouldn't trade Modrić for that whole lot and I find it absurd someone could claim a team devoid of any creativity in midfield is as talented as the team that has Kovačić and Kramarić on the bench.

Reactions: cgf

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
This was like a 1/1000 chance for England to have this easy of a path to the Semi's.

No Spain, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Brazil, Argentina etc...

I don't think we will ever see them have an easier path to the Semi's in our lifetime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad