Final Fantasy VII Remake - OFFICIALLY RELEASED!! (No Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
So it looks like the, despite the bad translating, the first game, both disks, are ALL Midgar. That's pretty insane, I know the city is HUGE and all, but the Midgar was like 10-15% of the original game. They are REALLY expanding that portion of the game.

There is a lot of questions regarding all of this, I really hope they address it all today during their second block.

Reactions: Warden of the North

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I am still curious how the actual game is going to flow. The guardian scorpion fight was super long. Are they all that long and “epic”?

Are we seeing random encounters or are all the battles scripted now? How big are the dungeon maps? How much can we explore and how much is put on rails or into cutscenes?

It does seem they added a motorcycle chase. I saw Jessie riding with Cloud which didn’t happen in the original. One place where we see new gameplay maybe.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
There's new and/or different stuff so far in the trailers, so things have probably been added to the Midgar portion of the narrative. TBH they'll probably add some side-stuff as well--which Midgar never really had but is what padded out the back half of the original.

This sort of combat will definitely take longer than standard turn-based stuff.

Fully voiced/animated/directed scenes will definitely take longer to get through than thumbing through text boxes on mostly-static scenes.

Also wouldn't be surprised if the game is just generally "short" by Final Fantasy standards. The original was like... 30-40 hours tops if you didn't do side stuff. Maybe they just turn it into 2 games that are 15-20.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It’s such a small portion of the story though. Unless this is going to be like five games, some other part of the story is going to get short changed.

How do you blow up a 3 hour portion of a game to 40 hours? Then how do you justify not doing the same thing for the larger and wider parts of the later game?

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
It’s such a small portion of the story though. Unless this is going to be like five games, some other part of the story is going to get short changed.

How do you blow up a 3 hour portion of a game to 40 hours? Then how do you justify not doing the same thing for the larger and wider parts of the later game?

Midgar is definitely longer than 3 hours for an average playthrough. Speed runners get through it in 2 (and they beat the game in ~8, so in theory Midgar still makes up 25% of the critical path.)

Dunno. Things will have to be adjusted one way or another if this is going to be episodic. With some editing Midgar could easily end up being the first part of a trilogy. Midgar plus some extra could end up being the first half. I just don't know where they'd finish the first part. They'd have to alter things to have more of a climax earlier in the game.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

There is a lot of the middle part of the game that can be dramatically altered. The whole "following in Sephiroth's footsteps" isn't very engaging and drags on for too long.

It has a purpose so it needs to be there but I can get behind shortening that to make Midgar more involved.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I feel like some people are failing to grasp the concept of this being a REMAKE. This isn't slapping a fresh coat of paint. It is a ground up rebuild that is going to include a ton of new content and expanded story lines, while staying faithful to the original game.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
They're including a lot of the expanded lore from other games and media since FF7 first released. Crisis Core is probably your single biggest expansion of that lore by being a direct prequel and it spends most of its time in Midgar. Getting to explore the whole "pizza" is really exciting to me. I always felt like we didn't get to go back enough in the original game and it's the biggest city in the world, the center of all Mako energy operations, etc. It looks like they're really going to build up Shinra as a threat and focus on your fight with them. Shinra tower alone could be a huge part of the game.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
I think when they say Midgar they mean the story until the scene where Sephiroth is burning Nimbelheim by the mansion.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
Thoughts on E3 showing:

~ Voice acting is far superior to any previous version of these characters (Advent Children Cloud was god awful), but not amazing or anything. Could still potentially be cringe-y and distracting in the grand scheme of things.
~ Still a ton of potential for the actual writing and dialogue to be awful, as per Square Enix' usual track record (this is currently my single biggest concern-- I still don't trust them to tell a decent story, which is what I care most about this game)
~ Remains to be seen if they captured the somber mood of hopelessness and despair that made Midgar so memorable. If the whole thing just feels like a fun action romp or emo/Weeb edge-fest (which the original did sometimes but not always) and not much else, it will all be for nothing.

- That boss fight went on way too long. Especially when you consider that it looked like parts of it were actually edited down to save time. It's a great/intense one-time spectacle, but that's the first introductory boss-- if they're all like that, the game's going to feel exhausting and tedious.
- Pretty much confirmed that Sephiroth appears right away in flashback sequences, which completely ruins his perfect buildup/mystique (IMO, the strongest element of the original) for the sake of fan service. It's not the worst thing in the world, but I don't like it. Better when understated.

? Seriously what is that black smoke thing? Don't know what to think about it.

Very promising.

The boss fights will be long and thats a good thing. They are a boss, they shouldnt be beaten easily. They are huge monsters in the game. There was hints of Sephiroth in Midgar. Didn't he kill the Shinra President? The black ghouls are from Nimbelheim mansion where they were creepy and had weird dialogue. They shadow and follow Sephiroth. It's a remake so they are adding things to fill up the game. It will be 2 bluray discs for just part 1.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The boss fights will be long and thats a good thing. They are a boss, they shouldnt be beaten easily. They are huge monsters in the game. There was hints of Sephiroth in Midgar. Didn't he kill the Shinra President? The black ghouls are from Nimbelheim mansion where they were creepy and had weird dialogue. They shadow and follow Sephiroth. It's a remake so they are adding things to fill up the game. It will be 2 bluray discs for just part 1.
There's such thing as too much or too little of anything. The boss fights took a bit longer than I would have liked. It's hard to say if it will work anyways, but it's a concern.

There were vague hints of Sephiroth that added to his mystique and presence, but he never actually appeared until after Midgar. All you saw was his sword in President Shinra's back, the remnants of his actions, and whispers in Cloud's head. That approach was very very cool and seems to have been abandoned somewhat. Here's hoping that the scene in the trailer is the only appearance he makes early in the game.

I suspect the ghosts have something to do with the black cloaked guys as well.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
30 min away from FF7's second block. Looks like they will be playing through the demo that is there. Hope we get to see some of the city.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The boss fights will be long and thats a good thing. They are a boss, they shouldnt be beaten easily.

This isn't Monster Hunter, nor should it be.

I'm hoping it was played up for the demo. I don't want bosses that are super easy to beat, but I also have no interest in my turn-based JRPG turning into a damn Souls game every time there's a boss fight. That's an introductory boss, it's not supposed to be difficult...which is why I do think they played it up pretty severely just to show as much of the battle system as possible with a boss that anybody who played the original for 20 minutes would remember.

I'm still grumpy about the battle system and my faith in Square eroded long ago...but I can't hear that score without having a Pavlovian desire to get lost in that world.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
This isn't Monster Hunter, nor should it be.

I'm hoping it was played up for the demo. I don't want bosses that are super easy to beat, but I also have no interest in my turn-based JRPG turning into a damn Souls game every time there's a boss fight. That's an introductory boss, it's not supposed to be difficult...which is why I do think they played it up pretty severely just to show as much of the battle system as possible with a boss that anybody who played the original for 20 minutes would remember.

I'm still grumpy about the battle system and my faith in Square eroded long ago...but I can't hear that score without having a Pavlovian desire to get lost in that world.

Turn based combat is never coming back. I just want them to perfect a decent action system.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Turn based combat is never coming back. I just want them to perfect a decent action system.

I get it, yet I don't get it. It changes the genre from one that FFVII is primarily responsible for me adoring to one that I outright do not enjoy.

Honestly I'm more worried about what they do with the story than the battle system right now...I love this world enough to put up with a XV-esque battle system again, but only if they hit the right notes. The ATB stuff gives me some hope that it'll be more than just tolerable.

That combat music has been stuck in my head all day. Might have to reinstall FF7 on Steam tonight. lol

Listening to the OST on Spotify, as I likely will be on a loop for the couple days now.

Last edited:

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
We ended up getting two demos for FFXV...plus there was the one for FF7 all those years ago of the beginning bombing with some summons, would be incredible if they recreated it and released it to the masses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad