Final Fantasy VII Remake - OFFICIALLY RELEASED!! (No Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I guess I just need to wait and see how it turns out.

I cannot for the life of me see how they made the Midgar part of FFVII 40-60 hours.

There has to be massive and significant story elements added
I know they hinted they did add stuff, not sure how much. Also I dont think the first part is only Midgar. Maybe the first disk? Hopefully like you said more is revealed tomorrow.

Reactions: Warden of the North

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Yes, I just read it.
Trust me, as an ultimate FF7 fanboy, I'd be beyond pissed paying $60+ for a game that was 20 hours or less. They can't do that. Their sales would be horrendous for future parts. I think there is enough that they can easily make two full sized games. Three would be pushing it a bit. This is their chance to expand on every back story, add new side quests, fill in some of the many gaps that existed in the original.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I guess I just need to wait and see how it turns out.

I cannot for the life of me see how they made the Midgar part of FFVII 40-60 hours.

There has to be massive and significant story elements added

One thing I thought about. Did they ever actually say Part I would be Midgar? I think we have all been assuming it because it seems like a logical stopping point. What if the first part ended when you boarded the boat to Junon? :dunno:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
One thing I thought about. Did they ever actually say Part I would be Midgar? I think we have all been assuming it because it seems like a logical stopping point. What if the first part ended when you boarded the boat to Junon? :dunno:
I believe he did say something like that, but I dont know if he was just talking about the 1st disk or the whole thing? It was a bit though with the interpretations.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think I'm hoping this does well so they Remake VIII and maybe keep going from there. Although that might be once a decade at their pace.

They have the resources, especially if they make money on these, to run a new FF team and a remake FF team.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
There is no way you get 40-60 satisfying hours out of Midgar alone. No way.

Maybe not for you. :nod:

They've said they were going to delve more into the story and explain/expand on what happened in Midgar. They'll surely have TONS about Zack, more about Aeris, how AVALANCHE came together..there's so f***ing much they could do. I'm all for it and don't give a rat's ass how they give it to me.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
FF7 was like a 40 hour game total unless you were getting everything.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Id say when you know who does you know what makes for the best break point.

But I guess the first step is knowing how many episodes we're getting.

Its wierd having to talk about spoilers for a 22 year old game :laugh:

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Maybe not for you. :nod:

They've said they were going to delve more into the story and explain/expand on what happened in Midgar. They'll surely have TONS about Zack, more about Aeris, how AVALANCHE came together..there's so ****ing much they could do. I'm all for it and don't give a rat's ass how they give it to me.

How much more could there be that Crisis Core didn’t already cover? Less of that the better.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Aside from that massive spoiler (that i had actually forgotten about as well until i read it a few months back)..I literally barely remember a single thing about the game. Once I heard the rumors a decade ago about them making a remake of the game I never went back to play it. I'm basically going into this game fresh!

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

That was actually one of the rumors from about a month ago, was that would be the end of the first episode. I can't remember if that was one of the rumors that was a debunked or not.

Im intrigued to see what the feedback is from those who are at e3 and are able to try the playable demo.

And yeah, it is odd talking about spoilers for something so old. Honestly? I think its going to be even more emotional this time around.

Reactions: Warden of the North

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Just hope dual audio continues to be standard for Square so I don't have to listen to their bad Mr. T impersonation of Barrett.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
How much more could there be that Crisis Core didn’t already cover? Less of that the better.

Maybe it'll include whatever was in Crisis Core/whatever side games there have been. I've never played Crisis Core because I never felt like getting a PSP so I would seriously appreciate its inclusion.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
We still have no real idea of how the episoeic nature is going to work.

The more I think about this the more ticked off I get. FFVII is so long partly because of the grind. I presume that streanlining the remake will remove much of the grind, as grinding isnt really a thing in modern RPGs.

Without grinding, you could be out of Midgar in just a few hours. How exactly have they stretched that into a multi disk experience?

Something isnt adding up here. The now live pre-orders arent mentioning "Episode 1" or "Part 1" or whatever. Just Final Fantasy VII: Remake"

Is there any official statement from Sony/Square that each episode is a full ticket price? Im still not convinced that they will be.

Just because you're going from turn based random battles to some sort of action JRPG doesn't mean the game will be that much shorter. Depends on the game but you can pad out the time and have 'grind' in a more real time combat system just as well as the old JRPG's used to do it. Though in the PS1 era JRPG's a lot of that was starting with FFVII getting carried away with lengthy unskippable battle animations as this was the first time they were able to use it.

And like I saw someone else said, they were saying it was going to be a multi-part "episodic" game from the start. Not great, but at least we know the details now that they're keeping it two purchases. We'll have to wait and see on the product for how worth it that is. I'm still curious about the episodic part though, when you buy part 1 do you get the complete "part 1" from start to finish, or is it more like part 1 - episode 1 and once you beat Midgard you have to wait for them to complete and release part 1 - episode 2 to continue the game, then wait again for part 1 - episode 3, and so on, paying $60 again when part 2 comes out and repeating the cycle?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Just because you're going from turn based random battles to some sort of action JRPG doesn't mean the game will be that much shorter. Depends on the game but you can pad out the time and have 'grind' in a more real time combat system just as well as the old JRPG's used to do it. Though in the PS1 era JRPG's a lot of that was starting with FFVII getting carried away with lengthy unskippable battle animations as this was the first time they were able to use it.

And like I saw someone else said, they were saying it was going to be a multi-part "episodic" game from the start. Not great, but at least we know the details now that they're keeping it two purchases. We'll have to wait and see on the product for how worth it that is. I'm still curious about the episodic part though, when you buy part 1 do you get the complete "part 1" from start to finish, or is it more like part 1 - episode 1 and once you beat Midgard you have to wait for them to complete and release part 1 - episode 2 to continue the game, then wait again for part 1 - episode 3, and so on, paying $60 again when part 2 comes out and repeating the cycle?

If i had to speculate (and hopefully they will confirm a bit more tomorrow), the first game comes with 2 blu ray disks which was confirmed....Midgar should be disk 1, then everything between leaving Midgar and...the bombshell..should be disk 2.

Midgar is huge, they could easily make that into 15-20 hours with side quests and exploring. Then add another 15-20 hours on disk 2 for everything after leaving Midgar up to the bombshell. There is your 30-40 hr part 1. Then the next "game" / part 2 comes out late 2021/2022?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't think anybody confirmed that, did they? I think you might be mistaken. They just said that the first part/purchase/episode will be two Blu Rays (the messaging on that was very confusing), and there will be multiple parts/purchases/episodes after that.

In other words, this is episode 1: Midgar (Two Blu Rays), purchased for $60. Then there will be episode 2: Whatever (Two Blu Rays), purchased for another $60. And if that isn't the end, there may be episode 3: Whatever (Two Blu Rays), purchased for another $60. (and possibly more episodes after that, but I highly doubt it will exceed 2-3)
We still have no real idea of how the episoeic nature is going to work.

The more I think about this the more ticked off I get. FFVII is so long partly because of the grind. I presume that streanlining the remake will remove much of the grind, as grinding isnt really a thing in modern RPGs.

Without grinding, you could be out of Midgar in just a few hours. How exactly have they stretched that into a multi disk experience?

Something isnt adding up here. The now live pre-orders arent mentioning "Episode 1" or "Part 1" or whatever. Just Final Fantasy VII: Remake"

Is there any official statement from Sony/Square that each episode is a full ticket price? Im still not convinced that they will be.
This seems to imply that it will be.
FINAL FANTASY® VII REMAKE [PS4] Standard Edition - $59.99

A spectacular reimagining of one of the most visionary games ever, FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE rebuilds and expands the legendary RPG for today.

The first entry in a multi-part saga, delivering a level of depth inconceivable for the original. Mind-blowing story, unforgettable characters, epic battles and technical excellence collide.

FINAL FANTASY® VII REMAKE [PS4] | Square Enix Store

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Thoughts on E3 showing:

+ Virtually every character design looks perfect (besides possibly Wedge, who we haven't seen but looked dumb in the really outdated trailer, and possible Heideggar/Shinra, who we only caught a small glimpse of). In particular, they are really getting a lot of mileage/goodwill out of how exceptional Aeris' face model looks
+ The ultra-detailed zoom out of Midgar looks incredible
+ Monster designs look incredible-- Managed to retain the goofy charm and personality of the original while simultaneously not looking out of place in this environment, which is no small feat
+ Lighting/colors/effects/environments/fluidity of movement looks great
+ They're touching on the proper key thematic points in order to clarify important parts of a previously really confusing story. Things that could have easily been missed like Avalanche being an immoral group, Sephiroth intentionally trying to manipulate Cloud into following him, Tifa's persistent wishy-washy uncertainty hinting at something more, etc. (could be argued that it might be too on the nose, but hard to say this early)
+ Combat system, previously the single biggest concern, looks great so far-- perfect compromise between the two camps. Very well considered.
+ Music didn't blow me away yet, but still sounds very good, as expected.
+ Love how they seem to be at least attempting to stay true to the spirit of the original

~ Voice acting is far superior to any previous version of these characters (Advent Children Cloud was god awful), but not amazing or anything. Could still potentially be cringe-y and distracting in the grand scheme of things.
~ Still a ton of potential for the actual writing and dialogue to be awful, as per Square Enix' usual track record (this is currently my single biggest concern-- I still don't trust them to tell a decent story, which is what I care most about this game)
~ Remains to be seen if they captured the somber mood of hopelessness and despair that made Midgar so memorable. If the whole thing just feels like a fun action romp or emo/Weeb edge-fest (which the original did sometimes but not always) and not much else, it will all be for nothing.

- That boss fight went on way too long. Especially when you consider that it looked like parts of it were actually edited down to save time. It's a great/intense one-time spectacle, but that's the first introductory boss-- if they're all like that, the game's going to feel exhausting and tedious.
- Pretty much confirmed that Sephiroth appears right away in flashback sequences, which completely ruins his perfect buildup/mystique (IMO, the strongest element of the original) for the sake of fan service. It's not the worst thing in the world, but I don't like it. Better when understated.

? Seriously what is that black smoke thing? Don't know what to think about it.

Very promising.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gardner McKay
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad