Final Fantasy VII Remake - OFFICIALLY RELEASED!! (No Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
There was an article from Gamespot that has since been taken down, it mentioned a winter release date and that it was going to be announced at the concert tonight.

Interesting.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
There was an article from Gamespot that has since been taken down, it mentioned a winter release date and that it was going to be announced at the concert tonight.

Interesting.
One way or another, we will know by tonight or tomorrow. I’m PRAYING for a Winter release!

Also they are releasing the full trailer at the concert tonight for the attendees..i’m sure some cell phone footage of it will be released in the next couple hours.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I don’t remember that stuff with Aerith in the original?

Has there been any footage of anything past the motorcycle chase? This has to just be chapter 1?

I think this game gets rebranded to like... FF7 Remake: Midgar or something at some point.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I don’t remember that stuff with Aerith in the original?

Has there been any footage of anything past the motorcycle chase? This has to just be chapter 1?
They said they were going to spend a lot more time in Midgar and if they are still planning to release the game in chapters, I wouldn't be surprised if the first chapter is either all Midgar or mostly Midgar.

March can't come soon enough.
YzmzOMO.gif

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
They said they were going to spend a lot more time in Midgar and if they are still planning to release the game in chapters, I wouldn't be surprised if the first chapter is either all Midgar or mostly Midgar.

March can't come soon enough.
YzmzOMO.gif
I think the rumor was 2 parts, so I can't imagine the first part is just Midgar. Buckets of information will come tomorrow so we should know then for sure. And I believe now they are having a sit down with the producer on Tuesday so even more information then. Plus that trailer was just part of the full trailer that will be released tomorrow(today?).

Reactions: kingsholygrail

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I think the rumor was 2 parts, so I can't imagine the first part is just Midgar. Buckets of information will come tomorrow so we should know then for sure. And I believe now they are having a sit down with the producer on Tuesday so even more information then. Plus that trailer was just part of the full trailer that will be released tomorrow(today?).
I'm excited either way. I've been waiting for a remake of this game for a long time. lol FF7 was my gateway to RPGs.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Same thoughts as last time after seeing the trailer. I'm really impressed by how they nailed the enemy designs. They look modern while maintaining that charming ridiculousness of the original, which doesn't seem trivial to me. Faces look great as well. Still iffy on the typically uninteresting Squeenix art direction/framing/pacing and the story stuff they change (like what the hell is happening at the end there with the ghosts? Maybe they're related to the cloaked Reunion guys? I'll withhold judgement on it, but that could potentially be dumb that early in the game).

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Exciting!

I’d bet good money it doesn’t come out on Match 3rd. But the fact that they’ve even given a release date means we’re in the final stretch here.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Maybe I'm just old fashioned but the gameplay isn't really exciting me. Will have to see more.
Well, this most recent trailer certainly wasn't. It is the third or fourth trailer of the same content. I am hoping for a big reveal tonight. I don't see how they can't have one, if they are going for a 3/3/20 release date. AAA titles usually begin mass marketing 9-12 months prior to the release date. We are just under 9 months at this point.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well, this most recent trailer certainly wasn't. It is the third or fourth trailer of the same content. I am hoping for a big reveal tonight. I don't see how they can't have one, if they are going for a 3/3/20 release date. AAA titles usually begin mass marketing 9-12 months prior to the release date. We are just under 9 months at this point.
Everything except the gameplay looks great but I'm not so certain about converting it to an ARPG.

But I'll pass judgment when I've seen more.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Do we know if this is PS4/5 only?

I might be interested in getting it for PC if combat is a more engaging version of combat in FFXV.

FFXV combat has potential, it was a bit too passive for my liking though.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That rumor was revealed to be completely made up by some idiot who was doing it for sh*ts and giggles. There's currently no indication of what the structure will be.

Personally, I think Pt. 1: Midgar + Kalm flashback, Pt. 2: World Map until Northern Crater Meteor summon, Pt. 3: Weapon attack on Junon until end scene would be a pretty good structure.

Personally, I think ending on "that" scene would be awkward. It just kind of happens out of the blue and isn't any sort of resolution to anything (and all the climactic stuff everything was building towards happens immediately after it).

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I need to see something past the first hour of the game to buy this March release date. Hell we still haven’t seen Tifa.

I don't blame you.

If I had to guess, I think they wanted to drop something big for the concert audience last night and used some recycled footage as to not spoil anything ahead of E3. I would be shocked if we didn't see Tifa tonight as I think tonight will be their big reveal for Part I.

On a different note, I keep thinking about the combat. As a traditionalist, I would have loved to see a turn based game. It would have hit me right in the feels, in a way this current game doesn't (at least, not yet). But, they can't do it. Who is the audience they are targeting? You can't just go after fans of the original game. It wouldn't have the kind of sales success needed in order to make such a big project worth while. You have to find a way to introduce new fans to the mix and the combat was the easiest way to make the game have more appeal to the masses. While one could argue that they shouldn't have remade the game on such a grand scale, that was never going to happen. It was always going to be an all or nothing deal.

I feel like some of the finer details that have been shown during these trailers, were done with the hardcore fans in mind. The ATB gauge is a perfect example. This is a completely different crew building the battle system than FF XV and it is clear they didn't want a button masher and they wanted to pay respect to the original game. Does that mean it will be a success? Of course not. Their attempt to appeal to the causal fan while also appealing to the hardcore fans is a risk and it could turnout to be a colossal failure. At this point, based on the limited information available, I don't think it will be a failure. I am reassured by a lot of what I saw in the most recent two trailers.

Tonight is key. If all we get are a Tifa reveal in the same environments that we have already seen, I will have grave concerns. If all we get is another 60 second trailer, I will also have major concerns. A game this big, 9 months before release should have a lot more to show off. The only logical reason to keep it revealed at this point would be due a lack of confidence in the material. This is the big reveal. This is the chance to steal the show. This the chance to build hype and anticipation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00