GDT: Final Fake Fight: Blue Jackets @ Sabres, 7 PM, MSG-B/WGR

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
So what did we learn tonight?

Do not turn off the TV or leave the building early!!!

I left after the 2nd :help:

This team just needs to gel more than anything, but the first 2 periods were embarrassing. That's pretty much Columbus's AHL team.

The defense minus Pysyk was god awful, especially McCabe, Risto, and whoever bjorkstrand walked right around on the fifth goal, just couldn't make a pass on the whole. Lehner...needs to shake that rust off ASAP. Cheated hard on the second goal and let space up in a spot a big goalie like him should be covering easily, flopped on the third goal, and weak five hole on the fourth.

Last edited:

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Well, t least they made it a game. They looked much better in the 3rd.

As for the Lehner trade (since I seen lots complaining) look at it like this - Tim Murray said before the Lehner trade that he was going to draft a goalie higher this year. He mentioned using the 21st pick on a goalie like Samsonov. So instead of drafting Samsonov, who wouldn't have played for us for years, we used that pick on Lenher, who probably has just as high a ceiling (as Samsonov) and is 5 years into his development. I'm not crazy about giving up a 1st in this strong draft, but it is what it is. We needed a goalie desperately and Murray thinks this guy can grow with the team and be our franchise goaltender going into the future. Murray even said he was ok with it if it took Lehner this whole year to get his feet back under him. He's coming off a concussion and a long layoff from play. Let's give it some time. I seen him play in the AHL during his Calder winning year. The guy is amazing when he is on his game.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Pysyk is a cool customer, boy. He never panics with the puck.

Risto was brutal the 1st half of the game, but played better towards the end.

McCabe I haven't liked all pre-season. He needs more time in the AHL.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
If you still think he's too frail after tonight's game, then I don't know what to say.

He was grinding along the boards right with Richard and Zemgod, not looking out of place and even winning the board battles half the time.

He's NHL ready, and I don't think there's even a debate about it....but that's my opinion.

Yeah, he's not too frail, that much is obvious. I do think he's playing timid, though. I don't think he's used the flow of the NHL game just yet, but he'll pick that up. He won't learn that in the AHL though, so he should stay up.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
G- preseason is over
-team turned it on in the 3rd
-Sam, Lars & Zemgus needs to be a thing for a while
-liked Weber standing guys up at the blue-line
-Pysyk was our best defender

B- Kane Eichel together. Its not chemistry, its a stylistic mismatch.
-defense pairings are still getting used to each other

U- Lehner looked wretched against an AHL roster :squint:
not good bad or ugly, just coaching thought

Bylsma, inferior talent controlled the game for 2 periods. Not sure if it was a strategy issue or an execution problem.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Deslauriers always turns in solid. He has to be on the fourth line if Bylsma plans on truly playing it.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
If you still think he's too frail after tonight's game, then I don't know what to say.

He was grinding along the boards right with Richard and Zemgod, not looking out of place and even winning the board battles half the time.

He's NHL ready, and I don't think there's even a debate about it....but that's my opinion.
In fairness I couldn't watch half of the game due to TWC/MsG issues.

I saw the last half and saw him get thumped twice.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I just want girgensons in top 6.

I feel Gionta and Moulson are wastes of talent for the top 6. I have liked Giontas motor this preseason tho
I think putting Moulson anywhere else is waste of his 'talents'. He needs to be on a scoring line to get the most out of his skillset. I dont want him with ROR, or with Larsson or Girgs where he needs to waste energy being something he's not (defensively). Let him set up shop in his office and let Eichel get him the puck.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Finally got my ISP issue settled. Whew. Hey, looks like they made a game of it late.
The first 35 minutes probably gave everyone PTSD flashbacks to the tank seasons with all the giveaways, lifelessness, and whopping 6 SOG; while the final 25 was more of what we've seen this preseason, with them throwing a bunch of pucks goalward (22 SOG) and getting some deflection + rebound goals.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
We were playing against a weak roster but it was fun to watch a comeback again and get pumped.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
In fairness I couldn't watch half of the game due to TWC/MsG issues.

I saw the last half and saw him get thumped twice.

Are you expecting him not to get hit? He played very well and was involved in all the dirty areas.

I'm baffled as to what posters that complain about him want.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Are you expecting him not to get hit? He played very well and was involved in all the dirty areas.

He gets knocked down a lot with normal hockey plays. But mentally he is ready.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He gets knocked down a lot with normal hockey plays. But mentally he is ready.

Normal hockey plays?as opposed to abnormal ones?

He plays well. If he plays well who ****ing cares if he gets knocked down.

I think some are so damn obsessed with this that they point out every single hit. Which takes things out of proportion.

I guess Reinhart can't get knocked down for some not to be concerned.

Last edited:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Normal hockey plays? He plays well. If he plays well who ****ing cares if he gets knocked down.

I think some are so damn obsessed with this that they point out every single hit. Which takes things out of proportion.

I don't point it out. But it's true. He is so smart though so that helps him. I like him with 2 Bulls like Larsson and Girgensons.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Normal hockey plays?as opposed to abnormal ones?

He plays well. If he plays well who ****ing cares if he gets knocked down.

He just has an awkward skating style. He's clumsy, and gets knocked over pretty easily.

With that said, he's been pretty effective in the offensive zone. The only question remaining is it better for his development to dominate the AHL, or stay and keep adapting to the NHL. I think he'll remain in Buffalo.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Me too!

I would love it if Reinhart develops into a 25-30 goal/45-50 assist player who is defensively responsible. I don't need him to grind or hit like Girgensons or Kane. I don't need him to pour in 40-50 goals. I thought he played well. Room to improve. Like every single rookie in the league. Absolutely no reason to be concerned as of today.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I think Reinhart is ready for the NHL and should probably stay on the roster. Would the AHL help his growth? Yes. But after watching him here a few games, it seems like he can get that same experience, if not more in the NHL. He was so dominant in what I saw of him during the world juniors, to be there as a NHL regular, he needs minutes: his game is emerging. The good news is that there aren't really any players on the roster he ~shouldn't~ play with, so even if he were to end up on the 4th line as a center for whatever reason, Des and Foligno aren't development killers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad