GDT: Final Fake Fight: Blue Jackets @ Sabres, 7 PM, MSG-B/WGR

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
From Buffalo Hockey Beat:

Despite some injuries, the Sabres will field a strong lineup tonight. They plan to recall some players prior to the game. Only about 14 players skated this morning, including goalie Robin Lehner. None one who played in Thursday’s 6-1 loss in Minnesota was on the ice.

Here’s who will be playing tonight:

Forwards
Nick Deslauriers, Jack Eichel, Tyler Ennis, Brian Gionta, Evander Kane, Johan Larsson David Legwand, Ryan O’Reilly, Sam Reinhart

Defense
Carlo Colaiacovo, Cody Franson, Rasmus Ristolainen, Mike Weber

From the Columbus GDT:
Columbus Lineup:

Forwards: Bjorkstrand, Boll, Broadhurst, Calvert, Chaput, Craig, Hannikainen, Karlsson, Milano, Rychel, Sedlak, Tynan

Defense: Bodnarchuk, Connauton, Goloubef, Falk, Kukan, Prout

Goaltenders: McElhinney, Thiessen

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
My guess is Reinhart's staying for the regular season if Dan is playing him tonight.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
So who's fighting for that last lineup spot? McGinn and Legwand? Does Des have his spot locked down yet?

Larsson is a lock to be in the line-up based on Bylsma's frequent glowing words. I would say McGinn, Legwand, and Deslauriers are all at risk of being the scratch on a given night as I see things today. Reinhart also could wind up in Rochester. I don't think it should happen nor do I think it's more likely than not, but it is probably enough of a possibility to think he might be battling for a spot. He'd be battling with himself, though, not the likes of Legwand and Deslauriers.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Wait, Girgensons isn't playing again?

Judging by his linemates in recent games, it seems like he's become one of the bubble players or something.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

Judging by his linemates in recent games, it seems like he's become one of the bubble players or something.

He isn't. He could also still be playing tonight, the article only listed 9 forwards.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Seems more likely they don't feel the need to evaluate him. They'll wind up plugging him wherever needed in the top 9 at wing or center.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Columbus not icing a very impressive roster, much like ours last night.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Seems more likely they don't feel the need to evaluate him. They'll wind up plugging him wherever needed in the top 9 at wing or center.
Dunno, it's just that from what Bylsma said earlier, it seemed like they're going to try and ice the best line-up possible tonight.

And whenever the top 6 guys played together earlier in the preseason, Girgensons wasn't playing. Isn't it weird that he wouldn't have any practice with his linemates before the season starts?

I might be reading too much into this, but based on the preseason alone, one would have to assume Girgs is going to be a 4th-line/13th forward.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Dunno, it's just that from what Bylsma said earlier, it seemed like they're going to try and ice the best line-up possible tonight.

And whenever the top 6 guys played together earlier in the preseason, Girgensons wasn't playing. Isn't it weird that he wouldn't have any practice with his linemates before the season starts?

I might be reading too much into this, but based on the preseason alone, one would have to assume Girgs is going to be a 4th-line/13th forward.

That's pretty irrelevant considering he more than likely won't be top 6. He'll be somewhere on the third line once the regular season starts.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013

Moulson is also not named to play today, and he will be in the top-6.

Nothing really indicates Girgs is going to be in the 4th line not to mention 13th forward. He has played in the top-6 every game so far where he has attended. They most likely want to give him games as a center now, because he mostly will be a winger, but he will occasionally be a center as well.

The lines have been pretty different in every game so far. I bet Girgs will be a top-6 winger in the season opener.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

I don't know exactly what's going through Bylsma's head, but I think he just wants to get a better look at Larsson and Reinhart which is why they're playing despite having played last night. It does seem like Girgensons has for now lost his spot on Eichel's line to Gionta the past few days. I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to determine if they want Reinhart in the NHL or AHL.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
That's pretty irrelevant considering he more than likely won't be top 6. He'll be somewhere on the third line once the regular season starts.
Are you saying Carrier and Akeson are going to be on the third line? :laugh: You can change the '6' in my post to '9', it wouldn't change my point in any way.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Moulson is also not named to play today, and he will be in the top-6.

Nothing really indicates Girgs is going to be in the 4th line not to mention 13th forward. He has played in the top-6 every game so far where he has attended. They most likely want to give him games as a center now, because he mostly will be a winger, but he will occasionally be a center as well.

The lines have been pretty different in every game so far. I bet Girgs will be a top-6 winger in the season opener.
Yes, he's played in the top 6 in games where none of the leading Sabres forwards were present.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

There is NO CHANCE Girgensons is in that role.Zero. I would question the entire Sabres franchise if that was happening, it would be so stupid.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Are you saying Carrier and Akeson are going to be on the third line? :laugh: You can change the '6' in my post to '9', it wouldn't change my point in any way.

Huh? You're overreacting to nothing, honestly.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Yes, he's played in the top 6 in games where none of the leading Sabres forwards were present.

He was centering the second line in the game where Kane-Eichel-Ennis were the first line.

Girgs has been playing too much as a center to think that he would actually start as a center. So their most likely giving him games as a center to get him comfortable playing there (so he doesn't have to jump as a center if needed cold feet, when the games actually matter). And when Eichel and RoR are your clear top-6 centers, he can't play too much as a center when they are on ice.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Larsson is a lock to be in the line-up based on Bylsma's frequent glowing words. I would say McGinn, Legwand, and Deslauriers are all at risk of being the scratch on a given night as I see things today. Reinhart also could wind up in Rochester. I don't think it should happen nor do I think it's more likely than not, but it is probably enough of a possibility to think he might be battling for a spot. He'd be battling with himself, though, not the likes of Legwand and Deslauriers.

Agreed. Forgot who said it in the last 48 hours, but I'm getting the gut feeling that McGinn may wind up the healthy scratch for the opener. He hasn't done anything to separate from the herd in the preseason, and he doesn't really have a role on any of the special teams units; on the other hand, Legwand and Deslauriers have been used on the PK and are better defensive players than McGinn.

pretty weak line up for Columbus no? Was hoping to get somewhat of a preview of our NHL team vs another almost full NHL team.

Would've been nice, but what CBJ is doing is no different than what we did last night for the Wild's preseason finale. Columbus plays at home tomorrow night against Nashville, where they will likely ice a more representative roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad