Final cuts now taking place

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Down to the nitty gritty. Kudos to MacWilliam for sticking around so long, those defensive zone hits were great, Carlyle probably loves the guy. Dark horse to be the 6th man with Ranger as 7th?

(Edit..never mind he was sent down)

Last edited:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Down to the nitty gritty. Kudos to MacWilliam for sticking around so long, those defensive zone hits were great, Carlyle probably loves the guy. Dark horse to be the 6th man with Ranger as 7th?
I could definitely see him playing a role on this team in the future. Plays the kind of style you like from a few of your defencemen. Extremely physical, but couldn't really recall him putting himself out of position while doing that. Offensive skill from the blueline is what our strength is going forward, but MacWilliam is an intriguing guy to have on the team in the future.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Henny is lost most of the times. We are still over the roster size, so not sure what Henny is talking about.

In addition to Liles, the Leafs put forwards Trevor Smith and Troy Bodie, defenceman T.J. Brennan and Korbinian Holzer and goaltender Drew MacIntyre on waivers with the intention of sending them to the AHL. They sent Jamie Devane, Jerry D'Amigo, Andrew MacWilliam, Josh Leivo, Spencer Abbott, David Broll, Stuart Percy and Greg McKegg to the Marlies, leaving 22 players on the roster.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=433032

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
In addition to Liles, the Leafs put forwards Trevor Smith and Troy Bodie, defenceman T.J. Brennan and Korbinian Holzer and goaltender Drew MacIntyre on waivers with the intention of sending them to the AHL. They sent Jamie Devane, Jerry D'Amigo, Andrew MacWilliam, Josh Leivo, Spencer Abbott, David Broll, Stuart Percy and Greg McKegg to the Marlies, leaving 22 players on the roster.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=433032

So our 22 right now is 2 goalies, 7 defence, 13 forwards,

Anyone know off hand if that 13 includes Clarkson?

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
So our 22 right now is 2 goalies, 7 defence, 13 forwards,

Anyone know off hand if that 13 includes Clarkson?

Right now it is 13 forwards including Clarkson and McLaren who wont be playing on opening night.

McClaren will likely be put on LTIR making room to call a forward back up to get to 12 available forwards.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Right now it is 13 forwards including Clarkson and McLaren who wont be playing on opening night.

McClaren will likely be put on LTIR making room to call a forward back up to get to 12 available forwards.

McLaren has already been put on LTIR and since Leivo doesn't have to clear wavers to be sent down considering he was sent down the call up will either be Bodie or Smith after they clear wavers.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i wonder with all this defense depth does nonis sit tight and try to develop our own Defense University of the East (Nashville being so rift with defensemen as well). or do you think we start trading some away?

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
McLaren has already been put on LTIR and since Leivo doesn't have to clear wavers to be sent down considering he was sent down the call up will either be Bodie or Smith after they clear wavers.

Why put them on waivers in the first place then?

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.

McLaren has not been put on LTIR. The team cant do that until Tuesday.

Also Leivo probably makes too much to get McLaren's roster spot. With as tight as the Leafs are to the cap it will probably have to be a player that makes pretty close to McLaren's 700K.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
I am assuming Broll will be called up tomorrow.

I don't think it will be him considering he's waver exempt and could be sent down at any time. Why send him down now to call him up tomorrow?

More than likely it's Bodie after he clears wavers. There's no re-entry wavers once he clears, he could be sent up or down without needing wavers up to a certain extent

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Why put them on waivers in the first place then?

McLaren can be put on LTIR until the first day of the season. And the team must be cap compliant before the first day of the season.

So its quite possible that one of them could be called back up after clearing waivers. Personally I have the spot going to Devane but everyone will have their own opinion on that.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I don't think it will be him considering he's waver exempt and could be sent down at any time. Why send him down now to call him up tomorrow?

More than likely it's Bodie after he clears wavers. There's no re-entry wavers once he clears, he could be sent up or down without needing wavers up to a certain extent

Even if it was Broll they wanted to keep they had to send him down to get cap compliant.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County

I think Ranger has been one of our best most consistent D through out camp. I can't see him starting as #7. I'll admit that I have missed the last two and a half games though.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
I think it's safe to say either Bodie or Smith will be recalled if they clear wavers tomorrow. If not, it will be Broll.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Even if it was Broll they wanted to keep they had to send him down to get cap compliant.

But its not the deadline yet to be cap complaint. Today is just a key day because waiver guys take 24 hours to clear

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
But its not the deadline yet to be cap complaint. Today is just a key day because waiver guys take 24 hours to clear

I wouldn't read too much into that.
Whats the difference if they sent one of the non waiver kids down today or tomorrow?
If it is one of them that they are keeping there is a good chance they have been told about it.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
McLaren can be put on LTIR until the first day of the season. And the team must be cap compliant before the first day of the season.

So its quite possible that one of them could be called back up after clearing waivers. Personally I have the spot going to Devane but everyone will have their own opinion on that.

I'm assuming you meant can't. Are ou sure about this though, because Philly and Boston are obviously going to put Pronger and Savard on LTIR and wouldn't be cap compliant until doing so.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I'm assuming you meant can't. Are ou sure about this though, because Philly and Boston are obviously going to put Pronger and Savard on LTIR and wouldn't be cap compliant until doing so.

Positive.
Philly and Boston will also have to get cap compliant including Pronger and Savard's cap hits.
Likely both will accomplish this by sending down any non-waiver eligible players and then calling them back up.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Damn...I think the Leafs might actually pull off a 22 man roster by opening night.

Rielly basically takes the spot of the 925K that Liles' demotion frees up. Smith's demotion and Colborne's trade frees up space for Ashton. Put McLaren on LTIR and you have enough cap space to call another forward up. you'll end up rolling with 12 active forwards (13 when you include Clarkson), 7 D and 2 goalies.

It's possible that my math is wrong though...I did a rough estimate.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
FORWARDS

James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.200m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m)
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($2.900m) / David Clarkson ($5.250m)
Mason Raymond ($1.000m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($2.800m)
Frazer McLaren ($0.700m) / Jay McClement ($1.500m) / Colton Orr ($0.925m)
Josh Leivo ($0.925m) / Carter Ashton ($1.040m)

DEFENSEMEN

Jake Gardiner ($1.117m) / Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m)
Carl Gunnarsson ($3.150m) / Cody Franson ($2.000m)
Mark Fraser ($1.275m) / Paul Ranger ($1.000m)

GOALTENDERS

Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
James Reimer ($1.800m)

OTHER

Buyout: Darcy Tucker ($1.000m)
Buyout: Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)
Buried: John-Michael Liles ($2.950m)

RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (0.778% of upper limit)

Matt Frattin ($0.437m—0.5%)
Ben Scrivens ($0.062m—0.1%)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000
CAP PAYROLL: $64,706,667
BONUSES: $732,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $325,833

That's just enough to ice a full roster on opening night, with Clarkson and McLaren unavailable, but zero extra players and no caproom......and with Rielly sent back to junior.

if they want to keep Rielly, they gotta send someone else down. either Fraser/Ranger or go with 11 forwards.

Nonis kinda really ****ed up this offseason.

11 forwards? Couldn't we just send down Ashton and Leivo for 12 forwards, keep Rielly and have like 500k left over?

Or am I missing something?

Kyle Doobas*

I don't think a year in the AHL would hurt Leivo's development at all. Give him a chance to be a leader (maybe even leading scorer) down there for a season and hopefully a deep playoff run, as well as adjust to the physical rigors of an 82-game season against men.

I really hope it all works out and he makes the team next season though, cause I was loving his game this pre-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad